Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Jon C.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

Storing Gear in Storage Unit

O.K. so I'm planning on getting a 10x10 storage unit w/24 hour access and surveillance. Since it will not be climate controlled, my main question is what I CAN leave in the unit? I'm concerned about leaving my helmet in there but everything else I would guess is O.K. to leave in there. Will this shorten the already blip of a time period of 3 years helmet shelf life??

Anyone have experience with this situation?
Jon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping Motorcycle in Storage Unit? Jon C. General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 06-24-2011 11:54 AM
storage unit? help me find one houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 02-01-2008 06:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

I would be worried about spiders and other bugs making their home in your gear. I think the UV rays are what break down the helmets quicker, so as long as its not in the sun light seems like it would be fine.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
a couple ideas for you...

think about getting those vacuum sealed bags. theyll do a great job of keeping humidity and moisture from ruining the gear, as well as keeping dust (and spiders like tony said) off your gear. you could wrap them in normal plastic, tape it up, and then put that in boxes...but i dont think its the best option.

how long will this stuff be in storage? how much gear? how much did you pay for it all? consider if it may be more practical, beneficial, or better in the long run to sell the gear used on craigslist or here on MH, and then buy new gear later on? if its going to be a year or more, i see a big plus in having extra cash now, use it on whatever else you need...and then when you get back to riding youll get to have newer updated models of the latest stuff...and who doesnt like shopping for gear? of course i say that about most anything i would put in storage...i would rather have assets liquid, lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Zip Loc makes bags big enough to bury a body in. . .order appropriate sized zip loc bags for your gear and store the gear in them (with dessicant if possible) and plae those bags in a plastic storage tote.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Assuming by gear you're referring to leathers, boots gloves, etc. I would be worried about bacteria left from sweat growing wild in the heat and humidity.
You might come back in a month and your gear smells like . That would be bad.
I would say hang it in a closet in your house/apt where it will be cool and dry.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Jon C.

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

Great advice fellas! Thanks for all the help! I'm actually not planning to store it "away." Just need a place to hold it when I'm not riding. Apartment has no garage parking and my big bike won't fit indoors. So it's real close to the apartment and whenever I feel like, I can just park my car and ride out from there.

I suppose zip lock will be much easier to manage (especially since I ride quite often). I have just a jacket, gloves, shoes. I feel that it would be a hassle to keep the riding gear in one location and the bike in another. What if i forget something?! AH!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

sealed bags would ONLY be good if you were storing the stuff for a long time! They thought you meant like "i'm going to be gone for 6 months" kinda storage.

Hang it up, the more airflow/ventilation the better. it's going to take longer to dry out the sweat on your jacket and gloves, since the relative humidity will be higher than that of your house. Try to find a way to "spread" your jacket open (party balloon comes to mind), and try hanging your gloves from a hanger designed for pants, so they can breathe.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

dark damp place seems like it'd be a breeding ground for funky bacteria/fungus. i wouldn't want to bag up a sweaty helmet, jacket or pants in the dark. maybe just leave your bike there and bring your gear home to air out.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Jon C.

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

yeah, maybe at the least keep my helmet with me . . . I play semi-pro football and I remember getting this "ring-worm" looking rash on my head from my helmet. Gross.

What . . . TMI??

Advertisement