MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

For those that live in Austin.

In Houston it seems like the norm for going out would be to go clubbing on the weekend. Houston is flat and boring geographically so it seems most young people in their early 20s are out partying at night clubs and from what I see this is the Houston "Night life".

How does Austin compare? Is it saturated with party night clubs like Houston? I know there are tons of bars which is more of a laid back environment. From what I read in recent articles, Austin is the place to be, and not just because of the new track they are building. I am not a party go crazy type of guy, but I do like to be out at night, is Austin more suitable for a guy like myself compared to Houston? This was just a thought that came to mind, obviously I'm at a computer at home asking this question, since most of my friends are out partying, which isn't really my scene.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch us LIVE! AUSTIN/HILL COUNTRY RIDE. Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 06-08-2014 09:46 PM
Austin Live Music Recommendations mrclean Off Topic 2 04-12-2009 11:27 AM
Austin Riders or Austin Sportbike Forum??? pigpen General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 05-18-2007 03:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

It's a major college town, so yeah...there's a lot of partying going on. Hit 6th street. One long line of bars and clubs, and most people spend the night barhopping. Kinda like Northgate in College Station. Go check it out, and I'm sure you'll find one you like. Nothing says you can't pick one and be a regular. You also have San Marcos about 30 miles south if you don't mind a little drive. My experience has been that bars in San Marcos are more like a tailgate party than anything else.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
its nice over here dude. i'm the same way. 6th street is the major college scene but thats about it, i live on the outskirts and its nice and quiet. i Hate houston! It's whole other life over here.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Sixth can get a little cazy some times. They close the street at night on the weekend and only allow foot traffic, which I like.

You can go bar hopping or hit up Red river which crosses sixth and there are quite a few good music venues there like Stubbs, Emos, Red 7 and many others to catch good shows.

You can always take a short walk to the warehouse district which has many more clubs and they have alot of real good restaurants there, too.

Barton Springs is a good place to go cool off in a hot day,not to mention Lake Travis where they have the craziest lake parties on certain times of the year like the 4th of july at Devil'c cove or the BBB (, Butts and Boats) party.

BTW, going topless anywhere within Austin city limits is legal for women. So you can imagine how wild these lake parties get.

At the lake, you have Carlos and Charlie's which is HUGE. I have been there a few times and its always kickin.

Jump on the bike and hit the hill country or just go down 2222 down to Lime Creek Road.

The thing about AUstin is that everything is close to everything. You are always a short drive from anywhere in town.

I am sure I am forgetting a ton of stuff but it is late and I have a cold.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
AngusTEx
Hang the up & DRIVE

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Honduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Sixth can get a little cazy some times. They close the street at night on the weekend and only allow foot traffic, which I like.

You can go bar hopping or hit up Red river which crosses sixth and there are quite a few good music venues there like Stubbs, Emos, Red 7 and many others to catch good shows.

You can always take a short walk to the warehouse district which has many more clubs and they have alot of real good restaurants there, too.

Barton Springs is a good place to go cool off in a hot day,not to mention Lake Travis where they have the craziest lake parties on certain times of the year like the 4th of july at Devil'c cove or the BBB (, Butts and Boats) party.

BTW, going topless anywhere within Austin city limits is legal for women. So you can imagine how wild these lake parties get.

At the lake, you have Carlos and Charlie's which is HUGE. I have been there a few times and its always kickin.

Jump on the bike and hit the hill country or just go down 2222 down to Lime Creek Road.

The thing about AUstin is that everything is close to everything. You are always a short drive from anywhere in town.

I am sure I am forgetting a ton of stuff but it is late and I have a cold.
+1

I grew up in DFW, school @ UT, now moved to Houston (due to career circumstances).

Austin is the only place in Texas where I would want to live. I miss that city so much.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
tamucc2004

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

Austin is badass lol just leaving. But you really have 4th 5th 6th all have good bars. Hole in the wall, more club style, corporate, all in the same area. Then you have old school part and the trendy end. Then if that doesn't fit your likes there is all sorts of other bars all over town. Short drive to go float the river. Good roads to ride. Great food. And don't forget its the live music capitol of the world so nearly every place has live music!

CMRA Novice #484
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
chris.mo.inc
Just along for the ride

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
03 Ninja ZX-6R

I just moved to ATX about 6 weeks ago from Houston, grew up in houston and love the H. But honestly, the only thing I miss from Houston now is my close friends and family, which aren't too far to visit btw. Austin is pretty great. Come. Join us.
chris.mo.inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Oh, forgot about the South Congress district. Lots going on there, too.

I could not even imagine living anywhere else.

I came to visit my mom who had moved out here with my sister when I was 14 back in 88. I never left.

So many people that live here will tell you that same story over and over again, they visit Austin and stay.
tejano? Rape me
Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

I'm a transplant from Houston. Been here almost a year. Once you get settled and get regular friends back it's a blast. I can't see moving back. I took a cut in pay to come and I'm still making way more money here, but that might be just me. Way more stuff to do. Little more interesting people and places. Tons of things to do outdoors to get you out of the house. Tons of cool parks & spots downtown. There is always people out and about. There is a lot to see & do here. You are close to everything/other cities. Plus the humidity is lower than Houston. So you can actually get outside without feeling gross. Just like said above, leaving good friends was the only downside

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 07-24-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

I hate Austin. Overcrowded. Lance Armstrong wannabes riding 2-3 wide on 360. Drunk city planners. Overzealous police force (WilCo) Crack everywhere. Overridden with homeless. Texting college girls menancing bikers everywhere...

I do enjoy having hill country in our backdoor but I miss Houston. I at least was safe on the roads there.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
kpar21

Bike(s):
'01 Yamaha r6

Member Garage

Moving there next month on the 8th.
kpar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #13
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I hate Austin. Overcrowded. Lance Armstrong wannabes riding 2-3 wide on 360. Drunk city planners. Overzealous police force (WilCo) Crack everywhere. Overridden with homeless. Texting college girls menancing bikers everywhere...

I do enjoy having hill country in our backdoor but I miss Houston. I at least was safe on the roads there.
I live in wilco and know many police officers from wilco sheriff to RR PD.

One thing about RRPD is that most live in RR and raise their families here so,yes, they are tough. I am raising my family here and really like that its how it is. Average response of about a minute and a half for emergency services is much better than anywhere else i have ever seen.

As far as being over crowded, it is a little, but if you move away then thats a start.
tejano? Rape me
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
handozizle

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati 848
2004 GSXR 600-Sold

Send a message via AIM to handozizle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post

This is how i feel about Austin too. I've always had a bad time every time i go to 6th, i hate the wannabe bikers, too many hobos, and etc. The only thing i like about Austin is the diverse food selection.
handozizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

I lived in san marcos for two years while attending texas state. If I get the chance to live in austin I will take it...

I miss having all the activities and the atmosphere...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I thought the Houston club scene died 10 years ago. Lots of laid back bars in Austin a well as clubs.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Austin is crowded for a reason, people want to be there. If you can't have fun in Austin, then you just can't have fun.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Austin is crowded for a reason, people want to be there. If you can't have fun in Austin, then you just can't have fun.
If you cant have fun in Austin, then you are a square. It takes a certain attitude to not like this town.
tejano? Rape me
Old 07-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
RhumbleKing

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
searching for a new stallion...
05 Daytona 955i taken away from me :(

DOOD! Im going to lay it down like this......I'm from Houston...Went to school at A&M in College Station....and now work in Austin....Austin is like EVERYTHING WONDERFUL BALLED UP INTO ONE!!!! No JOke! There's lakes, bikes, girls, rivers, girls, beer, clubs, hills, twisties, studios, parties, girls, bikes, job opportunities, universities, girls, bikes, crazy people, and anything else you could possibly image or want out here! It's one of the best decisions I've ever made was to move out here! I've done some of everything...ATX is the shizzz! and with motogp in 2013...smh there's almost nothing left I will need!
RhumbleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Bullshit. I want to move back to an even more populous area. My problem with Austin's crowds is that they did not factor in this population explosion into their roadway plans. There's a giddy spot on 183 where there are four onramps into a two lane major highway. Friggin' drunk engineering morons. Simply put... Austin grew too fast.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement