Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Where to add a cigarette style power outlet?

Just got as wild hair so I haven't went out to look it over yet, but since I can mount my phone to my top cover(fuel tank cover) of my bike using the suction cup car dock. Which comes with a cigarette lighter charger.

I want to try and add a cigarette lighter style outlet to my bike to power my phone while I am on the Austin Hill country ride. And for all future rides that I may go on. I already have a trickle charger plug in adapter on my battery so I'm thinking that if I can't find a permanent mounting location. I might make a power adapter that plugs into that. Which will make it removable when not in use.

Has anyone installed one permanently? And if so where did you put it? I can get a waterproof one for marine application, but I don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly!
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA - Looking for Warmers/Stands/Power Outlet socksta Ridesmart Motorcycle School 1 06-01-2013 06:58 AM
My Outlet bdmpastx Off Topic 68 03-01-2013 12:35 PM
Installing accessory power adapter AKA cigarette lighter bioGuru How To's and Q & A's 42 07-23-2009 10:17 PM
Motogear Outlet, Inc Sale Prothos Gear Talk 0 12-12-2008 09:22 AM
Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Just US Racing
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

GT Performer

I have flush mounted them in the ram air plastic cover and next to guage cluster(in the tail for phone charging). Or hard line it, put a relay under the seat, it comes on with key. Put a short spiral cord you can tuck under the plastic in the cluster area ect.
it just depends on the bike for placement.

There's a gap between the gas tank and frame. I installed a relay on mine and ran the cord out the gap at like 12'o clock if you were sitting on the bike and used a two sided tape clip to hold the wire on the tank near fuel cap. There's like 6 in.'s of wire showing on the tank coming from the triple clamp area to fuel cap area. I hope that makes sense.
It's Better to be Hated for who you are, Than Loved for who you are not !
skelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Skeletor u lost me with adding a relay...shouldnt be so complicated.

For the OP buy this

Just wire it on to your battery just like your battery tender wire. I have the eklipse version but like this one better. U can use a tank bag to hold ur phone and run plug the charger into this. Or mount it on ur clip on,triple tree or just tuck it inside ur fender as long as it's not obstructing the turning of your bars.
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Back again again...
Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote