MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Repsol Honda vs. Camel Yamaha

I was thinking about this and wanted to see what everyone thinks. With all corporate BS and current rider abilities aside, and speaking from a mechanical viewpoint only, who makes a better racebike, Yamaha or Honda? Why?

Perhaps, if you are torn between different parts of the bikes, what combination of the two would create an even higher quality racebike?

Discuss.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
, Honda Repsol are taking a pounding!! Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-31-2015 09:53 AM
repsol honda.....mexican edition. houseofpaint General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 01-17-2009 06:56 PM
Camel Yamaha pics CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 01-30-2006 03:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I think it's pretty well known that Honda has and has had the best MotoGP bikes for years. It's only with the gawd-like talent of Rossi and the expertise of Burgess that has allowed Yamaha to be back on top in MotoGP since.. ? 1992?
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil

Last edited by ArturoC; 10-18-2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: expertese = expertise :)
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Longnguyen

honda has more money to pump into r/d as that is a factor as well.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

The WCM/Blata bikes were the bomb-jet!

just kidding.
They did sound the coolest though.
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
The WCM/Blata bikes were the bomb-jet!

just kidding.
They did sound the coolest though.

Where they heck did they go?! They were supposed to come back with their V-6.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Honda has the best bike / Yamaha has the best rider.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
interesting
Old 10-19-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
A303

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
Honda....:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
jkcole900rr

Bike(s):
95 cbr900rr 97 cbr900rr (parts) 03 honda xr50

Send a message via Yahoo to jkcole900rr
hmmm

well im a honda guy love them but from a pure bike stand point wow the 1000rr is a beast but so is the R1 i dont know how the yah motor is set up but the honda has the 5 cylender which is just crazy shorter throw faster and higher rpms its the F1 motor of the bike world and as far as the riders go hayden is no slacker hasnt been on the circuit as long as rossi give him little more time and he will surpass rossi as long as dani will stay the outa the way fugin idiot
just my .02
jkcole900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
+1

remember rossi's world championship's before yammy. and where yammy was before rossi.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcole900rr
well im a honda guy love them but from a pure bike stand point wow the 1000rr is a beast but so is the R1 i dont know how the yah motor is set up but the honda has the 5 cylender which is just crazy shorter throw faster and higher rpms its the F1 motor of the bike world and as far as the riders go hayden is no slacker hasnt been on the circuit as long as rossi give him little more time and he will surpass rossi as long as dani will stay the outa the way fugin idiot
just my .02
hayden will never win all those championships I can tell you that. actually if hayden were like rossi he would have already won a championship in his second year it's now his third and rossi will win again. by the way. you don't know how the yam motor is set up?? I"m usre you don't know how the honda is set up either because noone really knows. we do know the yamaha is a big bang inline four. and the honda is a v5 and the odd number cylinder is a counterbalance for the motor otherwise it would be a v4 motor. by the way we're talking motogp a 1000rr or a r1 has NOTHING to do with them no matter what their advertising might suggest.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
jkcole900rr

Bike(s):

i know most of what u said 1000rr and r1 arent moto gp just useing that as a referance to the bikes and honda has a INLINE 5 CYLENDER MOTOR LOOK IT UP i am new to this but did a little research and honda runs 5 INLINE CYLENDERS smaller cylender shorter stroke

remember rossi's world championship's before yammy. and where yammy was before rossi.
interesting thought i like it yams BIG BANGIN INLINE 4 is only big bangin cause of rossi and i have no doubt i how great rossi is but hayden will be great too trust me
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Send a message via AIM to Max
i thought the m1 was a v4?
i know the rc211v is a v5.. honda will never mass produce the v5 :(
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
i know most of what u said 1000rr and r1 arent moto gp just useing that as a referance to the bikes and honda has a INLINE 5 CYLENDER MOTOR LOOK IT UP i am new to this but did a little research and honda runs 5 INLINE CYLENDERS smaller cylender shorter stroke

interesting thought i like it yams BIG BANGIN INLINE 4 is only big bangin cause of rossi and i have no doubt i how great rossi is but hayden will be great too trust me

Not sure where you did your research, but Honda is using a V5, not and inline 5.

Big bang refers to the cylinder firing order. In particular they try to get 2 cyclinders to fire at the same time and each pair firing as close together as possible. The idea being that if you can get all four cylinders fired within 70 - 90 degrees then you have the rest of the revolution as 'resting' not putting power to the tire. Gives better drive out of the corners. If I remember Honda started using it on the 500 in 1992 or 1993 and was just walking away from everybody. The engine sounded so different from all the screamers and nobody was quite sure what they were doing. They stood on the side of the track and recorded the sound of the engined and slowed down the playback to figure it out. Next thing you know all the other manufactures had a big bang engine too.

Great stuff.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
i thought the m1 was a v4?
i know the rc211v is a v5.. honda will never mass produce the v5 :(

Kawasaki and Yamaha are using Inline 4's
Suzuki = V4
Honda = V5
Ducati = V4
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #16
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
Not sure where you did your research, but Honda is using a V5, not and inline 5.

Big bang refers to the cylinder firing order. In particular they try to get 2 cyclinders to fire at the same time and each pair firing as close together as possible. The idea being that if you can get all four cylinders fired within 70 - 90 degrees then you have the rest of the revolution as 'resting' not putting power to the tire. Gives better drive out of the corners. If I remember Honda started using it on the 500 in 1992 or 1993 and was just walking away from everybody. The engine sounded so different from all the screamers and nobody was quite sure what they were doing. They stood on the side of the track and recorded the sound of the engined and slowed down the playback to figure it out. Next thing you know all the other manufactures had a big bang engine too.

Great stuff.
it sure is great stuff
Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
therky42

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

im going with HONDA also, but wont repeat what all the reasons above state. But basically Honda has more money and more experince in the bikes then yamahas.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
paniro187

Quote:

Look it up?? Uhmm you need to LOOK IT UP AND GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=2756&Page=3

Honda RC211V Specifications:

Engine: 250+hp, liquid-cooled, 990cc, 75.5-degree V-5 four-stroke

Chassis: Hand-built aluminium twin spar chassis and swingarm

Suspension: Showa 45mm fully adjustable fork and fully adjustable Unit Pro Link rear shock

Brakes: 2 x 320mm carbon front discs with four-piston radially mounted Brembo calipers and carbon pads. 220mm rear disc with two-piston caliper

Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #19
paniro187

Quote:

do you even know what a big bang engine is???

Old 10-19-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
jkcole900rr

Bike(s):

paniro187 u should learn to talk to people and not treat them like they are dumb even if they r i feel stupid ty for the link got it now
sry guys
still learning but hate being worng

Advertisement