MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #21
TxVrod

Feedback Rating: (0)

I just had my HVAC system replaced and got one of those cool Trane CleanEffects filters. It pretty well rocks. It took a day or so but I could sure tell the difference - especially at night!

I went through the same thing you did with the coils except mine ran for almost a year with no filter (thank you cousin) before we took the house back. The coils rusted and needed to be replaced. It was a 30-YO system so it got replaced with a 14-SEER biggun.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HVAC question HoustonRealtor Off Topic 14 08-17-2015 12:49 PM
HVAC tech needed in Pearland TMAX Off Topic 8 06-10-2015 04:56 PM
Which HVAC filters do you use? chasee69 Off Topic 9 05-20-2015 06:31 PM
HVAC guy needed!!! Grinchy Off Topic 8 10-12-2010 10:56 AM
HVAC SERVICES NEEDED ASAP chrisd Off Topic 14 01-08-2010 11:58 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
I can't spend any money on coils or filters right now. I couldn't afford a service call, which is why I'm sooo glad you guys helped me get it running again!

I change the disposable filter as often as it fills up (especially with paint and dust in the house) so it's never that bad. I just buy them by the case.
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:51 PM   #23
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
Absolutly correct, the problem your having is a buildup of algea in your drain pan.

Quick fix... pour some bleach into your drain pan and wait 10 minutes.

Good Fix, after the bleach eats it's way through the algea and starts draining, clean your drain pan, and your coils too while your at it. I have some tabs that you can place in your drain pan after all this is done, each tab lasts approx 6 months... but you can also stack them up into a tower and go for even longer.

Chances are good your coils haven't been cleaned in a while, you have two coils, the on the inside of your house that pick up heat, and the ones on the outside of the house that blow it out. A lot of people do not turn their ac off while they mow.. and if it's on, you are creating a suction on your coil which will cause all that grass your cutting to get sucked into the coil and plug it up, thus making it unable to dissapate the heat. To clean it you need to kill the power to your ac system, take the top off of the outside unit and spray water from the inside of the coil to the outside... if you spray from the outside of the unit to the inside all you are doing is pushing the crud further into the unit.. and the dust that got pulled in just turned to mud with the addition of water. (ps, once this coil is cleaned that way, if you remember to do it on a weekly basis you can get away with rinsing from the outside in because the crud isn't thick enough to plug)

Your inside coil is going to be even more gross, because it's cold dark and wet it's a veritable breeding ground for slimy stuff that blocks your coil.

If it hasn't been done in a while (more than one year) it needs to be done, and if you do it, I gaurantee you will notice an immediate drop in the run time of your system, as well as a drop in your light bill, most people who maintain around 74-75 degrees in the summer tell me they save enough on their light bill in one months time to pay for what I charge to clean them up. In the long run too, the less your unit runs the longer it lasts, thats why you see some people getting new ac every 5 years and some people going around 20 years with a system.

Truth is though, this isn't anything you couldn't do yourself and save some money, if you want some coil cleaner or pan tabs I have plenty and you can have them if you come pick them up.

This is you:
This is you after reading my post

Now let us be excellent to each other :icon_bigg

FREAK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #24
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
I'm glad you were able to get that back up and running, did you clean that coil while you were at it?
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #25
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
...did you clean that coil while you were at it?
Not really. I was hoping this cold front would give me a few days to shut it down. After I ran all the bleach through, it made the whole house stink!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #26
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Not really. I was hoping this cold front would give me a few days to shut it down. After I ran all the bleach through, it made the whole house stink!
ohyeah, I forgot to tell you, after you put the bleach in, your whole house is gonna stink, you should prolly do it before work and leave the fan on 'on'
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #27
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

When you do get ready to clean it though, let me know, I can give you some coil cleaner I use, it's green and self rinsing. it works great and doesn't stink =)
Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #28
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Actually, I was using a turkey baster to get the bleach into all parts of the pan and I squirted some through the coils. It came down to the ground with lots of gook, but I'm curious how I'd clean them without making a HUGE mess - you don't take them out or anything, do u?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #29
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

No, don't move the coil because you risk puncturing the copper tubing that contains your freon, what you can do is get a small cup or bucket, fill it with your bleach and use an old toothbrush that your not too fond of to brush the gunk off.

However, seriously, this is really going to make your coils stink of bleach for a while, so if you DO do it.. try and do it before you go to work, then turn the system fan on 'on' and let it circulate air through while your at work to de-stink it.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #30
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

I forgot to mention, after you clean it this way, and before you turn the fan on.... rinse a lot of water through it to get as much of the bleach out as you can.

In all honesty I really recommend using coil cleaner, it's cheap (free from me) and it won't stink like that, and certain kinds will foam up getting stuff out that the bleach might not be able to.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Beer for coil cleaner?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #32
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Beer for coil cleaner?

I've traded for worse :laughing6
Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #33
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Absolutely - the beer is even chilled!

I went to Lowes to look for those tabs, but I couldn't find them. The people there were not all that helpful - one girl told me to use bleach (ok, did that already) and another said that I might want to try a large bleach tablet that goes in the toilet tank. Any idea if that would work?

While I was there, I did see cans of coil cleaner and cans of filter charger. I qould imagine the filter charger is some kind of oil similar to what you get for a K&N, right? Is it worth getting a can of the coil cleaner, use the bleach, or have you bring some over in exchange for the beer? (seriously, I don't drink so it'll sit here until someone comes for it or I have people over)
Old 10-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #34
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Grilled steak and beer for you to clean my AC system?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #35
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

I've never used that coil cleaner from lowes to know how good it is.. but if it's cheap as in a couple of bucks I'd say it's worth it to find out.

I wouldn't worry about the filter charging oil, It's just.. well.. It's just overkill really, unless you have terrible terrible allergies and need to really have the best filtration system you can get, but in that case I'd say just buy a hepa filter and install a UV system. I've never heard of anyone charging their home air filter, we sometimes order charged filter media for work but I don't notice enough difference in it's effectiveness to be worth it.

It's based on the theory that a dirty filter filters better than a clean one, because a clean one has larger holes in it for dirt to go through, then as dirt piles on the filter those holes become smaller and make the filter work better, thus charging it with oil 'loads' up the filter to get better efficiancy right off the bat.

As long as you are cleaning your coils on at least a yearly basis (every six months is best) then I really don't think your going to notice enough of a difference to be worth whatever it costs.

If you want, I can get you some of those tabs for your pan and coil cleaner that I use, but I was just joking about the beer thing, I don't get to drink as often as I should. So I'll just give them to you, if you come pick them up from me at downtown or someplace close by =)

It'll be enough stuff to last you for years. literally. Ohyeah, and for the bleach tabs chlorine tabs or whatever they were talking about, I'd recommend not doing that because they can eat a hole in your drain pan then you really have a problem, the tabs I use are green slimy bacteria cultures that when they come in contact with water, go out and eat the algea thus keeping it from forming a sludge on your pan. (sounds gross I know, but it's a good gross)
Old 10-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #36
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Grilled steak and beer for you to clean my AC system?

Depending on how hard your unit is to get to, that might be a good deal =)
Old 10-26-2006, 05:55 AM   #37
Lunchbox6

Dammit MAN!!! Take the BEER!!! I will be home soon and i will want some BOOZE!!!! In accordance with prophecy.

Hail SATAN!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #38
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Oh Ramius....

Been a year and a half since my AC unit flooded my hallway.

Today I noticed the AC's been running all day but it's still pretty warm in the house. It's set at 72 but thermostat says 76. Huh?

I ran bleach through it at least twice in the last 18 months, so I grabbed the bottle and opened the unit up to do it again to clean up any gunk that might have accumulated.

I had no idea what I was about to see. First thing I noticed was that the wrapped tubing leading into the unit was wet and cold. Condensation, right?

Nope.

Ice.

Tons of it.

Tell me what happened please??!?!?!?

How do I fix it and pleeeeease tell me I don't have to spring for a new one.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran

Advertisement