MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

What track for the 1st TD.

Since I'm going to do 7 Cornerworker days at the end of this yr. I was really going to wait until next yr. to start the track riding, but I want to take advantage of the 50% off and free leathers offers this yr. and I'm eager to improve my skills for the group rides that I have enjoyed getting into. Those have been pretty fun. But I'd like to get some pro advice on my skills or lack there of. Where I need to improve the most etc..
So I'm thinking of doing a TD or 2 this yr. I'm leaning toward TWS (Texas World Speedway) as the place to do my 1st ever TD. If not there then Most likely MSRH. Both are having TD's on August 20th I'm guessing that TWS (Texas World Speedway) is the faster of the 2. Even though the emphasis will be more on learning to be smooth. (Guessing again) I like the idea of going on a Super Speedway for the 1st ever TD.

I don't know if there is even an definitive answer for the questions I'm asking, but if I don't ask them. Then I know their is no answer.
My questions are -- in your opinion:
What track would be the best for the first TD ever?
What are the pros and cons to each?
Which one is the smoother?
easier to get into a rythym?
easiest to learn the most?
most likely to get into trouble?

Any other advice that you might think of will be greatly appreciated.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1st TD at MSRH on the 23rd j_e_hurst Ridesmart Motorcycle School 55 06-20-2012 01:45 PM
Need Help getting to MSRH for 1st TD! Stryker Taking it to the Track 5 04-04-2012 10:01 AM
MSRH 8-20-11 Vid of my 1st TD The BeastMaster Ridesmart Motorcycle School 3 08-23-2011 01:12 PM
My buddy's 1st TD and 1st lap...almost BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 10-05-2009 04:45 PM
How did you feel your 1st TD?? flip326 Taking it to the Track 37 05-03-2009 07:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

either one you choose will be fine. Just sign up and get with an instructor, ask lots of questions (even the ones you rthink are dumb), ride within you limits, and have fun!

as for you questions

any one will be good for a first track day
gss is slower and tighter
msrh is faster and less technical
TWS (Texas World Speedway) in faster than msrh
smoother and rythem are unique too each rider
they are all easy to learn
you can get into trouble on all of them!

Last edited by Japawhat02; 07-13-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Japawhat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

MSRH

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

TWS (Texas World Speedway) was my first track day. I chose that track because of it being more of a speed track and not as technical. I learned a lot. Afterwards I went to MSRH for the technical stuff. Two different tracks. Both will teach you something different.

I will be an L1 instructor at MSRH in august. Look for me and I will be happy to help you.

- Johnny

Last edited by TeleRomeo; 07-13-2011 at 12:09 AM.
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
slim8

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
1986 GS project

I went to MSRH first. I chose that because a few experienced track riders I know told me it would be more beneficial to learn the technical stuff first, then add the speed later.
slim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

TWS (Texas World Speedway) or MSRH both are great...TWS (Texas World Speedway) i think less technical faster track...msrh...more technical...little slower
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

I think whichever is closest has a huge part in it for me.

MSRH has some bumps, but can be figured out pretty quickly

I think TWS (Texas World Speedway) has the most easy to get into trouble turn coming off the long banked straight into turn 1.....you need to be scrubbing lots and lots of speed, but then again, you only go as fast as you want to on that straight, it's highly unlikely you'll be pinning 5th and 6th gears hitting 165 MPH on your first TD
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
babymilo36
Occupy Central

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Specialized Allez Elite

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleRomeo View Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) was my first track day. I chose that track because of it being more of a speed track and not as technical. I learned a lot. Afterwards I went to MSRH for the technical stuff. Two different tracks. Both will teach you something different.

I will be an L1 instructor at MSRH in august. Look for me and I will be happy to help you.

- Johnny
+1 to TWS (Texas World Speedway)
Johnny is a great guy. Him and other instructors will take care of you no matter which track.

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Just go to any track. Don't over think it.
Ek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

I have only done two trackdays myself. One with Fastline and the other with Ridesmart. So take my comments with a grain of salt...

You can't beat going GSS counter clockwise for technical. Decreasing radius turns are the shizznit. Also that track is SUPER SUPER SMOOTH. I like the cones system that show where one begins their turn.

MSRH is bumpy as and has a few questionable "patches". Keyhole anyone? I'm not too crazy about the "X marks the spot" system. It also has an awkwardly placed X around turn one that makes it very difficult to cross. I do LOVEEEEE their facilities though... I had a lot of fun stretching the litre bike's legs out there.

Never been to TWS (Texas World Speedway) yet but I hear its super fast albeit a little simplistic. Ask yourself this... do you want to learn to corner or just go fast in the straights?

FYI, I think its more important to choose the school rather than the track itself. Get a vibe for the school and their instructors. That's why I chose Fastline for my first day and also why I will always return. Tim's good people who actively cares for his students. The atmosphere reverberates that among their other instructors. You should eventually try all the schools though.

No matter the school you choose... Be assertive. Approach the instructors. ANY instructor. No such thing as a dumb question so be sure to ask as many questions as you want. Otherwise you'll just get lost in the shuffle. The novice groups can be a bit crowded.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Just pick on, go, and have fun. Your first few days are all about learning about your new environment, learning how to ride your bike, and having FUN.

Just go out there with a buddy (always better to go with someone who's been a couple of times bc it reduces costs and they can help you get organized).

Any of the tracks will be fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
Just go to any track. Don't over think it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Just pick on, go, and have fun. Your first few days are all about learning about your new environment, learning how to ride your bike, and having FUN.

Just go out there with a buddy (always better to go with someone who's been a couple of times bc it reduces costs and they can help you get organized).

Any of the tracks will be fine.
what these guys said.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Any track is good but GSS sucks on a 1000, IMO. I mean, there is plenty to learn and the pavement is great but if riding around in 2nd gear, all day, is your style of fun then maybe you'd enjoy it.

TWS (Texas World Speedway) is wider, more flowing and more forgiving IMO. However, MSRH is more technical and a nice mix of hard braking, technical sections with fast, long straights.

MSRH is probably going to be less expensive. People that can go fast at MSRH, usualy do well at other tracks. But people that are fast at TWS (Texas World Speedway), aren't always fast at other places.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
...but I want to take advantage of the 50% off and free leathers offers this yr...
Come out to a Ride Smart event and you get free leathers and boots if you are a 1st timer.

http://www.ridesmart.info/index.php?page=specials

BTW, FWIW, we (Ridesmart) have more crashes (and more severe crashes) at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and MSRH than we do at Cresson and Eagles Canyon. Higher top speeds and less technical = people get in over their heads in a hurry. The technical nature of Cresson and ECR seems to keep people "in-check" with their top speeds and corner entry speeds.

That being said, I will agree with others that any track is a good 1st track. Just listen to your instructors and keep your corner entry speed down and you're good to go.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Now I think I'll go do MSRH

Thanks for all the input. Since everyone started talking about technicalities. I think I would get more of what I'm looking to learn out of msrh. speed comes naturally to me it's what to do with out once I get it that I'm looking for.

Advertisement