MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #21
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_bacon View Post
If you want to get better get rid of the street bikes and start riding dirt. Added bonus is you don't have to worry about cagers (only trees)
and branches impaling your face
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need so advice!!!!!! conrad83 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-22-2014 08:42 PM
Need advice dj77 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-10-2013 12:33 AM
Need Some Advice luckyxdevil1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-09-2012 11:00 AM
Need some advice K. Oliveira Performance and Modifications 7 05-24-2009 10:41 PM
I need some advice and help. Falkryte Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 23 08-05-2008 09:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #22
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
I totally glazed over your post. Sorry about that. Yeah I got a couple months before I can even ride again but I am excited. Thank you for the advice! You have any suggestions of brand of track fairings.
Cheap. Chances are you are going to go down and rash them up, maybe break them. A lot of guys ride naked; no big deal. You have given good advice. Add it up and have fun.

Where are you that you can't ride right now? That sucks.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #23
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Where are you that you can't ride right now? That sucks.
He mentioned being health insuranceless in another thread.

And yeah, just ride the bike naked till you come across a deal on some fairings.

Don't some of the newer SV's rearsets move the pegs up and back a little? May be a cheap way to get where you need without spending coin on an actual race set.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
He mentioned being health insuranceless in another thread.

And yeah, just ride the bike naked till you come across a deal on some fairings.

Don't some of the newer SV's rearsets move the pegs up and back a little? May be a cheap way to get where you need without spending coin on an actual race set.
I don't have health insurance. I added medical to my moto insurance, though.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. Looks like I will be setting the 03 up to hit the track a bit. Only hurdle now is I drive a mazda 3 and no trailer so looks like I have until my insurance kicks in and I upgrade my moto insurance to figure out that little problem.

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to riding with you guys in the future.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Quote:
Sounds good guys! Thanks alot for the advice. I have about 2 months before I will see a bike again so maybe I can flesh out what it will take to set up the bikes that way. I was kind of hoping some of the SV riders were gonna chime in. I will check back later.
Racetech Emulators
Racetech or Sonic Springs
New brake lines and fluid (could even do caliper swap)
Rear Shock (aftermarket or other OEM)
Tires

Suspension and tires first, go fast mods second.

Check out SVrider.com

Patrick, SCRCJohn, Romeo36 and a few others have plenty of SV experience.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Do you suggest the Traxxion Racetech kit with the premachined dampers and springs. Also if I weigh 190lbs without gear what weight oil would you suggest. I am kind of starting to put together a budget to make the modifications. Also I currently have some fairly new Michelin Pilot Powers on it which I like but not sure they will be ok for the track. What is the consensus on tire choices for the SV650 on the track. Also do I want to go with a higher profile tire rather than the 60 profile rear and 70 profile front I currently am running.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Ive got 20wt with 0.95 springs and emulators (set at 3.5 turns in I think) in my front end, with modified OEM damper rods, its a little stiff for around town but I like it that way. Granted I have 10 lbs on you.

I have a 70 up front. And get almost full travel of the suspension under hard braking. I think my tubes are 9 mm above the triples.

For the rear I've got a ZX10r, which works well, but really would like to upgrade to an aftermarket shock.

Tire I run BT016 but then again this is my daily ride and not a dedicated track bike. For a dedicated track bike, you will want something different likely.

Again, this is my setup and I like the way it works. But as I said before, despite the 5 SVs I've had, there are plenty around here who have forgotten more than I will ever know about the SV.

I cant stress enough, tire and suspension first, all the other stuff (exhaust, PC3, clipons) last.

You could also swap to GSXR front end, but the benefit vs cost is a much debated subject on SVrider.com

Sorry for rambling.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Well I will probably do the upgrades as I go. I will probably start with the forks and strip off plastics, take squoddybody's advice on the vapor cluster, new rear sets and take a track class or two. I did some research and the rear shock isnt going to take a whole lot of thrashing with my weight..

I really wonder if it would be ok for a couple track classes before I have to step it up just so I don't have to wait to do each and every mod before I see a track.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #30
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Springs (used) and oil can be done for under $75 will make a night and day difference in front end feel. Start there and work your way up to a fully competent suspension, if $$$ are a concern.

I might even know where some springs are that might be available shorty. Let me PM that person and find out.

Last edited by Jason_Canuck; 07-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Jason_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #31
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

You can take the bike just like it sits and do a couple track days.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the leathers and boots.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #32
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Pilot powers are good tires i ran them on about 5 trackdays when i was starting out on my R6. Went from running 2:20's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) down to 2:05's in my first trackday season. Then i needed a new rear and ended up with a Diablo Corsa 3. The street tires hold up well until you get pretty serious with your pace IMO.

Also the SV650S already has a slightly higher and farther back foot peg than the unfaired SV650 i believe. Some new racing rearsets are going to be important though to give you some extra room when you are leaning. Some beginners have trouble leaning off the bike at first and the pegs will scrape from what ive seen.
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #33
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

yep, good idea to remove the "curb feelers" off the pegs, if they are still there...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #34
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Cool Jason. Keep me posted!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Do you suggest the Traxxion Racetech kit with the premachined dampers and springs. Also if I weigh 190lbs without gear what weight oil would you suggest. I am kind of starting to put together a budget to make the modifications. Also I currently have some fairly new Michelin Pilot Powers on it which I like but not sure they will be ok for the track. What is the consensus on tire choices for the SV650 on the track. Also do I want to go with a higher profile tire rather than the 60 profile rear and 70 profile front I currently am running.
i'd recommend regular old dino 10w-40 or 20w-50 since its so freaking hot here in Houston. those tires will also be fine until you pick up the pace. don't stress to much about tires, yet lol.
03-06 SV's are what you want for track and race bikes (twin wise). if you need help with anything SV related, contact Chris at Sam's cycles (605 Silver ST. Houston, TX 77008 Ph: 713-862-4026) pm if you'd like and i'll get you in direct contact with him.

come join us at the track with Fastline. 50% off first time track riders, can't beat that. pm if you'd like more info and or help
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."

Last edited by switch; 07-15-2011 at 06:49 PM.
switch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement