Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

exhaust wrap opinions?!?!

Anyone else wrap their exhaust? I have always wrapped the headpipes of my racequads and minibikes to keep heat in and minimize my chances of being burned. Any of you wrap your big bike headers? why or why not? BTW, here is a link to some inexpensive wrap. if you know of more, please share
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50ft-...39299167QQrdZ1
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who's stocks DEI exhaust wrap Tiller General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-13-2013 05:15 AM
exhaust pipe wrap xjx General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 04-26-2013 06:23 PM
How To Heat Wrap your Exhaust... ILowNslowI How To's and Q & A's 8 02-25-2010 09:42 AM
Where to buy exhaust heat wrap Houston'sK5 How To's and Q & A's 12 09-11-2008 03:22 PM
who has some exhaust wrap? scrapp Off Topic 31 10-05-2006 11:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
The exhaust heatshield got me to thinking about exhaust heat and its effects on the motorcycle and rider's "parts". Besides the stock heatshield foil that prevent the body panels from melting, has anyone tried an exhaust wrap or any other heat management devices? (heatshieldproducts.com) The exhaust pipe snakes near the shock, airbox, etc. radiates a large amount of heat that gets absorbed by these parts. Of course this heat has no beneficial effects except maybe in winter. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with wrapping the exhaust from past the header under the tank to where it/they hit the can/s, in other words, the section directly under the rider. According to the info on the webpage above, wrapping the pipe/s will increase exhaust gas velocity (maybe more power) and decrease radiant heat in the area that is wrapped but wouldn't that also redirect some of that heat to the can/s and heat up the tail-section?

My experience is limited with the wrap and it's on sportbikes. However, a section near the battery would certainly help keep the electrolyte from evaporating, a problem on the pre-GS versions of the bike.

Your best alternative is an aftermarket muffler, which will eliminate a ton of the heat. The stock cat/muffler arrangement on the older 650's is a real heat sink! I put the Staintune on and heat problems were solved.

No personal experience, but from what I've read, wraps do everything mentioned here AND wear the pipes out faster. Supposedly "JetHot Coating" has all the benefits as well as EXTENDING the life of header pipes, and has the added benefit of trick colors. One fellow who JHCed his Triumph header pipes noted a 10-15 drop in external temp. From what I gathered, the excess heat (that the wrap hold in) heats the metal of the pipe higher each time it's run. Bottom line is that it fatigues the metal faster causing it to become brittle sooner. Keep in mind, too that we're talking about racing headers which, for weight reasons, use minimal wall thickness. On the metal of our pipes it may be a moot point. The JHC, OTOH, puts a thin ceramic coating on the INSIDE as well as the outside, so it insulates the PIPE as well as the surrounding components. The excess heat goes out the exhaust.

Dunno how much cooler the battery with the wrap would be. The wrap would probably need periodic replacement, as road splash would take its toll. I've heard of the wrap shortening the life on titanium pipes, but not stainless. BTW, it stinks for a while after it's put on the pipes.
take this quote with a grain of salt but if they claim a aftermarket exhaust can do the same, i would just go that route and improve the HP by at least 2-5hp with just a can.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Longnguyen

If you search the web i think most advice would suggest you not wrap them.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I was just curious about wrapping the 955's exposed headers, I guess that's a "no go". I'm currently building 2 budget mini motards, so the aftermarket exhaust is out of the question(for now). Both bikes have "uncorked" stock exhaust, and both are about to be "wrapped" to prevent burns. I kinda dig the look of the wrap too. . .haha BTW, I think most of the problems with heat retention come from improper wrapping technique, not the wrap itself. If anyone has any more productive info, please share. Thanks for the link. JET
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
my bike came with a pretty lil wrap thingy
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR 1/2
my bike came with a pretty lil wrap thingy
I bet it did
Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Mrs. ~T~
formerly known as C 1/2

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to Mrs. ~T~
it did
Mrs. ~T~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Kevin

I had my headers ceramic coated on my rc51. I could tell right away there was a better throttle response and my ankles were alot cooler :icon_bigg . Ceramic coating is the way to go if you ask me. Its pretty cheap and last a long time. However you shouldnt do it if you have titanium pipes, cause it can make them crack.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

i thought about going with JetHot coating, but it's not cost effective at this point(for the little bikes that is). Ceramic coatings are definitely the way to go though. I think I'll just wrap the mini headpipes, and send the Triumph's headers off for some nice black JetHot.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Denee
Leather n lace

Bike(s):
TL1000r(race), '06 GSXR600

Send a message via AIM to Denee
I wrapped my front exhaust header as far as I could. It runs along the side of the motor within an .05". and gets screaming hot! I just felt this would impede some of the transference of heat, plus I wrapped both the rear pipes as well; just to keep from melting my boots!! Don't get me wrong, they still get plenty HOT!!
dene'
PS: I wrapped Teresa's expansion chamber for the same reason.
 MG 0919
Denee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

for some reason i thought wrapping a 2smoke was a no no? either way, i ride the minibikes n shorts all the time, and i don't need any more scars. Thanks for all of the input!!!!! JET

Advertisement