MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Reputable Motorcycle Dealership?

If someone in Houston were looking to buy a new () 2011 Ninja 250R, and they were an avid member of MH, and knew the good dealerships from the not-so-good ones, which motorcycle dealership would they go to?

I've been to Team Mancuso Powersports SW before, they me off.

Also, if anyone knows, what are the different charges that I should expect, with a new bike? And how much (ballpark) should each be, so that I can belittle the salesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Hmmm the prodigal 250 rider returns...
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arlington, TX Motorcycle dealership. Zapata Cruisers Lounge 2 02-25-2013 11:49 PM
Anybody know a reputable fairing place dgalvan General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 01-20-2012 12:38 AM
Need a reputable tow truck Robopath General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-03-2010 06:19 PM
Looking for REPUTABLE Boxer breeder jetcycles Off Topic 0 06-03-2010 10:26 AM
Motorcycle Dealership Recommendations??? chrisd Off Topic 27 06-22-2009 08:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
MSRP + TTL = OTD

everything else is bullshit. (frieght/assembly/prep/detail/floormats/owners manual) etc. all bullshit.

only thing you may want to add in is first/second service and/or extended warranty. some dealers will offer this to you at cost at time of purchase only.
you can also generally get any parts or accesories for you or the bike at big discounts on day of purchase only.

you are FAR FAR FAR better off, buying a used model. even IF it needs new turn signals or mirrors or whatever the original scuffed in their little oopsie before they decided to upgrade or give up riding alltogether.

if you must buy new, stick to the above formula. call around and be prepared to drive a ways out of town (a few hours if you absolutly must) to get that price.

dont let the dealer handle your financing. walk in pre-approved from another institution, (preferably a credit union) or best yet, walk in with cash in hand.

dont ask the salesman what they are going for or how much it costs. before he gets a chance tell him what you are willing to pay. he WILL tell you that isnt possible. hand him the check and tell him to go talk to his manager. BE POLITE. if they tell you no, kindly leave you number and ask them to call you should they change their mind. then leave. they may call you or may not. again, you may have to drive a ways and trailer/truck/ride it back. especially with that model, they can be very popular and sometimes there is waiting lists...some places there isnt.

good luck and happy trails to you!

Last edited by Chris24; 07-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
MSRP + TTL = OTD

everything else is bullshit. (frieght/assembly/prep/detail/floormats/owners manual) etc. all bullshit.

only thing you may want to add in is first/second service and/or extended warranty. some dealers will offer this to you at cost at time of purchase only.
you can also generally get any parts or accesories for you or the bike at big discounts on day of purchase only.

you are FAR FAR FAR better off, buying a used model. even IF it needs new turn signals or mirrors or whatever the original scuffed in their little oopsie before they decided to upgrade or give up riding alltogether.

if you must buy new, stick to the above formula. call around and be prepared to drive a ways out of town (a few hours if you absolutly must) to get that price.

dont let the dealer handle your financing. walk in pre-approved from another institution, (preferably a credit union) or best yet, walk in with cash in hand.

dont ask the salesman what they are going for or how much it costs. before he gets a chance tell him what you are willing to pay. he WILL tell you that isnt possible. hand him the check and tell him to go talk to his manager. BE POLITE. if they tell you no, kindly leave you number and ask them to call you should they change their mind. then leave. they may call you or may not. again, you may have to drive a ways and trailer/truck/ride it back. especially with that model, they can be very popular and sometimes there is waiting lists...some places there isnt.

perfect..just perfect
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
MSRP + TTL = OTD

omer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
MSRP + TTL = OTD

win!

/end thread
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
hehehehe...

ive been working at dealerships for 4 years or so (thats not counting "shops")

salesmen hate me. i know most of their tricks. we get new employees all the time thinking they want a bike at an "employee discount". the salesmen will them over just as fast as anyone else who walks through the door.

if i wasnt the only parts guy there i think i would have gotten fired from the stubbs parts counter back in 07 or so for posting OTD prices here on MH. lol. i hate the stealerships...mainly the sales departments....the dealer i work for now is much better in comparison, but sales still pulls some shenanigans.

the main thing about a dealership, is they know you are GOO GOO excited about getting a bike, REALLY getting a bike, to the point that you are about IN YOUR PANTS RETARDED about it. they assume that alone is going to make you willing to pay $500-$1000 more just because you might have a sense of "i dont care i just want it!" attitude. if someone has pristine credit, and huge amounts of income they will go even higher, because the buyer is less likely to haggle.

my advice. regardless of your credit, savings, or income. calm the down. shop around and get a decent deal. if a dealer really treats you well, has a great reputation, and word of mouth tells you its a good place to go...you can feel ok paying MAYBE $500 over the above formula for convienance and peace of mind. consider it a tip to the salesman and manager, as that is pretty much exactly where the extra cash will go should you spend it.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
MSRP + TTL = OTD

Probably the most helpful thing anyone has ever told me about motorcycles.

Quote:
you are GOO GOO excited about getting a bike, REALLY getting a bike, to the point that you are about IN YOUR PANTS RETARDED about it.
Do I know you from somewhere? You seem to know me pretty well...

Do you work at a dealership currently?

Quote:
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Chris nailed it....although I financed my Tard thru Suzuki cuz of thier 1.99% financing. I also haggled alot too. They wanted 7200ish for my tard and I walked out paying 5200 after it was all said and done. If ur not a confrontational person they are gonna pressure u into it usually....like chris said buy used...u can find them dirt cheap with no or minimal damage.

If u buy used take advantage of motorcycles unlimited free inspection so u can see what ur getting into...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS

Last edited by BYRDMAN; 07-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

All of the above, and go to Kaw of Pasadena. GREAT people!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustu2 View Post
Probably the most helpful thing anyone has ever told me about motorcycles.

Do I know you from somewhere? You seem to know me pretty well...

Do you work at a dealership currently?
yes. i am a wage slave for a stealership. allthough, i cant complain too much as i am about to get a baller paycheck for last months sales. i did about 50k in parts sales and was the sales leader for the month in parts. i make commision also so at least i can work a little harder/smarter to make more cash. ive worked in service departments before, im back in parts now. i live in virginia beach, no where near houston unfortunatly.

oh...and i see people going GOO GOO RETARDED like three times a day, 5 times a week. im pretty familiar with the dealership customer mentality. LOL.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:

oh...and i see people going GOO GOO RETARDED like three times a day, 5 times a week. im pretty familiar with the dealership customer mentality. LOL.
I paid sticker. They had to go 200 miles to trade for the bike, so I was OK with it. It was the only titanium ZX10 in Florida.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

word. nothing wrong with that!

oh, and one more thing...the name of the dealership you deal with is largely irrelevant. its all about the INDIVIDUAL you deal with. there are awesome salesmen where i work. there are salesmen where i work. as the months and years go by, these people come and go, they move around from place to place. its pointless to say "so and so got a good deal at XYZ dealship" you gotta drop names of salesmen. "that salesman named "john doe" at xyz gave me a good deal" is much more valueable.

its just like that bartender that pours you stiff drinks, and gives you a couple freebies. if you dont see him at the bar, you dont start a huge tab that night. same concept on a bigger scale.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #13
RhumbleKing

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
searching for a new stallion...
05 Daytona 955i taken away from me :(

Quote:
word. nothing wrong with that!

oh, and one more thing...the name of the dealership you deal with is largely irrelevant. its all about the INDIVIDUAL you deal with. there are awesome salesmen where i work. there are salesmen where i work. as the months and years go by, these people come and go, they move around from place to place. its pointless to say "so and so got a good deal at XYZ dealship" you gotta drop names of salesmen. "that salesman named "john doe" at xyz gave me a good deal" is much more valueable.

its just like that bartender that pours you stiff drinks, and gives you a couple freebies. if you dont see him at the bar, you dont start a huge tab that night. same concept on a bigger scale.
...This is the most truthful/factfilled thread I've ever come across about motorcycles....Thank you
RhumbleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #14
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Chris nailed it....although I financed my Tard thru Suzuki cuz of thier 1.99% financing. I also haggled alot too. They wanted 7200ish for my tard and I walked out paying 5200 after it was all said and done. If ur not a confrontational person they are gonna pressure u into it usually....like chris said buy used...u can find them dirt cheap with no or minimal damage.

If u buy used take advantage of motorcycles unlimited free inspection so u can see what ur getting into...
You got your tard new? Where did you go and who did you talk to? I'm really thinking about a DRZ for my next DD, especially for work and back

Good info in this thread, my friends are the "GOO GOO RETARDED" guys that you speak of. I've talked a couple out of getting a serious raping at a stealership.
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #15
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650

I think... Dare I say it...
Maybe this should be stickied?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustu2 View Post
I think... Dare I say it...
Maybe this should be stickied?
yep this thread is a keeper.

or perhaps just have the wise man write up a new thread without all the comments.

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioGuru View Post
yep this thread is a keeper.

or perhaps just have the wise man write up a new thread without all the comments.

That works too...

Quote:
Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Great advice, thanks. First rule in negotiation: don't give a what happens.
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement