MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #41
cdavis

Feedback Rating: (0)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Lukes SV had 136 rwhp and 87 ft/lbs of torque.
The engine was originally Eric Falts bike and was stock bore but had been decked and had the heads milled so we wound up a bit north of the "advertised" 13:1 compression once we installed the big bore kit.

WOW! Lots of opinions on this bike, but the few folks who know SV1000's and this bike specifically seem to have good things to say

Brandt, thanks for the kind words.

I currently own this bike and love it. I have one more race weekend and I'll officially have my CMRA race license and I have been given the opportunity to do some endurance racing on Brandt's old race bike (07 GSXR 750) and my cousin sent me a race ready 05 GSXR 750 to race. As much as I'd love to fund two/three race bikes, my budget won't allow, so the SV has to go.

I have ridden the SV650 and SV1000 and while the 650 is 40lbs lights, it also has 50 less hp than a stock SV (75+ less than this bike). I have also owned a Ducati 996 and this SV has more mid-range and more or equal top-end horsepower without the expensive maintenance and replacement part cost. That was my attraction to the SV, they are freaking cheap, and cheap to buy parts for! Every comparable SV or GSXR I looked at was several thousand more $ so for me it was a no brainer.

With this bikes history of Luke winning races, and I know Brad Wilcox won at least one and podium-ed another on this bike I think that speaks volumes. With the same rider will it beat a Ducati 1098/KTMRC8R? depends on the track but not likely. Will it be cheap fun? Absolutely.

By the way, the SV1000 has the same suspension as the previous model GSXR w/ adjustable compression and rebound damping, and a decent GSXR and the same brakes as the GSXR. The SV650 has much smaller diameter forks which don't have compression or rebound damping which is why everyone does a GSXR front-end, which isn't CMRA legal. It does way more, but I really don't understand why it got such a bad reputation.

Good thread, by the way
cdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 650r vs SV650 - which is the superior track option 675Raisinator Taking it to the Track 12 12-27-2011 12:03 PM
SV1000 track bike? Opinions? logan5 Taking it to the Track 6 09-08-2010 10:35 AM
SV1000 ... track bike? logan5 Taking it to the Track 11 10-22-2009 04:43 PM
good track bike for someone ... logan5 Taking it to the Track 14 04-23-2009 11:45 AM
Good Track Bike for some one Japawhat02 Taking it to the Track 5 07-17-2008 08:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #42
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis View Post
WOW! Lots of opinions on this bike, but the few folks who know SV1000's and this bike specifically seem to have good things to say

Brandt, thanks for the kind words.

I currently own this bike and love it. I have one more race weekend and I'll officially have my CMRA race license and I have been given the opportunity to do some endurance racing on Brandt's old race bike (07 GSXR 750) and my cousin sent me a race ready 05 GSXR 750 to race. As much as I'd love to fund two/three race bikes, my budget won't allow, so the SV has to go.

I have ridden the SV650 and SV1000 and while the 650 is 40lbs lights, it also has 50 less hp than a stock SV (75+ less than this bike). I have also owned a Ducati 996 and this SV has more mid-range and more or equal top-end horsepower without the expensive maintenance and replacement part cost. That was my attraction to the SV, they are freaking cheap, and cheap to buy parts for! Every comparable SV or GSXR I looked at was several thousand more $ so for me it was a no brainer.

With this bikes history of Luke winning races, and I know Brad Wilcox won at least one and podium-ed another on this bike I think that speaks volumes. With the same rider will it beat a Ducati 1098/KTMRC8R? depends on the track but not likely. Will it be cheap fun? Absolutely.

By the way, the SV1000 has the same suspension as the previous model GSXR w/ adjustable compression and rebound damping, and a decent GSXR and the same brakes as the GSXR. The SV650 has much smaller diameter forks which don't have compression or rebound damping which is why everyone does a GSXR front-end, which isn't CMRA legal. It does way more, but I really don't understand why it got such a bad reputation.

Good thread, by the way
Hey Chris! Glad you made it over here... Check your gmail. I sent you one last night. It's down to you and the Aprilia...
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #43
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

back to the question posed in the thread title.

SV1000... Is it a good track bike option?

sure, most bikes will make good track bikes. are there better options than an SV 1000? probably. you have to what you wanna do, and then find the right tool to do so. me, i'd go with an SV650 if it was down to a twin. i've seen you ride at GSS, why not just keep riding your gsxr 1k? maybe try a 600

whatever you get, ride the out of it!
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement