MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

SV1000... Is it a good track bike option?

I think I have found my trackbike. A 2003 SV1000. I would need to have stiffer springs put in but its ready to go other than that. Do any of you guys have any advice regarding this motorcycle for track use? Suggestions? History? Will it competitively hold up on a larger track such as MSRH or TWS (Texas World Speedway)? I ask because this bike was only made for a short time. Speaking of that... would this make parts scacre? I know it had top end issues but this engone's been redone to alleviate that (Spears pistons, cams, clutch, etc.)
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ninja 650r vs SV650 - which is the superior track option 675Raisinator Taking it to the Track 12 12-27-2011 12:03 PM
SV1000 track bike? Opinions? logan5 Taking it to the Track 6 09-08-2010 10:35 AM
SV1000 ... track bike? logan5 Taking it to the Track 11 10-22-2009 04:43 PM
good track bike for someone ... logan5 Taking it to the Track 14 04-23-2009 11:45 AM
Good Track Bike for some one Japawhat02 Taking it to the Track 5 07-17-2008 08:51 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Track days, or racing?
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Track days, or racing?
^this is the crucial question
Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Track days, or racing?
Not looking for a "well... its okay for trackdays" sort of answer but I primarily would be using it for trackdays. Racing's still a little ways off for me. More saddletime and theb some saddletime!

I really want solid information about this model of bike. This bike actually is a racebike. It has been piloted by two different CMRA riders.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Not looking for a "well... its okay for trackdays" sort of answer but I primarily would be using it for trackdays. Racing's still a little ways off for me. More saddletime and theb some saddletime!

I really want solid information about this model of bike. This bike actually is a racebike. It has been piloted by two different CMRA riders.
Then maybe, just maybe you answered your own question...

Listen, it's fine for trackdays. Meaning, that once the suspension has been sorted out and a few engine upgrades are done, you'll be fine. Seat time is crucial. If it's already converted, pick it up, and ride the thing if that's the bike you want. Racing the the SV1k is going to be a PITB bc of deficiencies in the power and the weight categories.

Personally, I would go with a 650 if I were looking to track an SV.

More of the type of answer you were looking for?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Better yet, whose old race bike was it and what's been dond to it?

The SV1000 is a decent tack day bike. Not at the same level as say a 600 SS bike or even a well built SV650, but still a decent bike.
As was already stated a lot depends on how far from stock the bike is.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post

Listen, it's fine for trackdays. Meaning, that once the suspension has been sorted out and a few engine upgrades are done, you'll be fine. Seat time is crucial. If it's already converted, pick it up, and ride the thing if that's the bike you want. Racing the the SV1k is going to be a PITB bc of deficiencies in the power and the weight categories.

Did I offend you somehow? You seem annoyed? I sure hope not. I really came for advice and I come in peace... No... I didn't answer my own question. My questions were not exactly answered either. I asked about availability of parts, your experiences (which you have provided and I appreciate), performance on larger tracks, and most of all... general information about this particular motorcycle. There is a wealth of personal information about the SV650 but not as much about this SV1000.

Let me try this by giving little insight more about me as a rider and this bike... I am looking for a bike that I don't care about, crashes well. If not, can it be fixed on the cheap or would I be paying a "hard to get parts" premium? I am looking for solely tracktime with the ultimate goal of racing. This would be the bike that I learn on. A cheap bike that's good to throw away at the track.

Despite many of you guys past advice... I really want to trackout larger displacement bikes. Is this bike so underpowered and heavy that I'll get zipped by the 600's? And please no "its the rider" comments. I KNOW that. I'm a fan of solid low/mid range grunts.

The SV that I am looking at is currently owned by a CMRA racer who purchased this bike from a fellow CMRA racer. It is 100% race-ready and has definitely been raced. The engine has been safety wired and professionaly rebuilt with Spears components (13/1 compression overbore, cable clutch conversion, cams), Vortex clipons and rearsets, Penske double clicker, Racetech forks (these would need to be resprung to my weight), 520 chain conversion, quick throttle, PCIII usb, and much more.

Its been raced but I feel the price reflects upon that but I also believe racers take care of their better. This seems like it could be an outstanding entry level racebike if I wanted it to be but I have no grand illusions of actually sucessfully racing this motorcycle. I want lots of saddletime with not too difficult downtimes. I am very mechanically inclined but i'd rather be riding.

Is this a good bike or is it a PITB (which I assume means pain in the ).
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:

Did I offend you somehow? You seem annoyed? I sure hope not. I really came for advice and I come in peace... No... I didn't answer my own question. My questions were not exactly answered either. I asked about availability of parts, your experiences (which you have provided and I appreciate), performance on larger tracks, and most of all... general information about this particular motorcycle. There is a wealth of personal information about the SV650 but not as much about this SV1000.

Let me try this again by giving little insight more about me as a rider and this bike... I am looking for a bike that I don't care about, crashes well. If not, can it be fixed on the cheap or would I be paying a "hard to get parts" premium? I am looking for solely tracktime with the ultimate goal of racing. This would be the bike that I learn on. A cheap bike that's good to throw away at the track.

Despite many of you guys past advice... I really want to trackout larger displacement bikes. Is this bike so underpowered and heavy that I'll get zipped by the 600's? And please no "its the rider" comments. I KNOW that. I'm a fan of solid low/mid range grunts.

The SV that I am looking at is currently owned by a CMRA racer who purchased this bike from a fellow CMRA racer. It is 100% race-ready and has definitely been raced. The engine has been safety wired and professionaly rebuilt with Spears components (13/1 compression overbore, cable clutch conversion, cams), Vortex clipons and rearsets, Penske double clicker, Racetech forks (these would need to be resprung to my weight), 520 chain conversion, quick throttle, PCIII usb, and much more.

Its been raced but I feel the price reflects upon that but I also believe racers take care of their better. This seems like it could be an outstanding entry level racebike if I wanted it to be but I have no grand illusions of actually sucessfully racing this motorcycle. I want lots of saddletime with not too difficult downtimes. I am very mechanically inclined but i'd rather be riding.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Let me try this by giving little insight more about me as a rider and this bike... I am looking for a bike that I don't care about, crashes well. If not, can it be fixed on the cheap or would I be paying a "hard to get parts" premium? I am looking for solely tracktime with the ultimate goal of racing. This would be the bike that I learn on. A cheap bike that's good to throw away at the track.

Sorry for coming off like an ... back to the topic.

When I was in the market for a 1000 cc twin to track, I was advised to get an older prilla instead (TomLSTD). those can also be picked up for cheap, they make a more power , and already have the suspension goodies from the get go. Parts are out there but really the key thing with all bikes: DON'T CRASH.

I'm with you when it comes to grunt and that's why I love twins. IMO get a 650 instead. Why? BC if you can be faster with less you'll become a much better rider. I used to track the out of my naked sv and passed plenty of "faster" bikers even in A group. It is cliche, but speed is determined by a riders skills not the amount of power the bike has.

What's the asking price of the bike you're looking at?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Better yet, whose old race bike was it and what's been dond to it?

The SV1000 is a decent tack day bike. Not at the same level as say a 600 SS bike or even a well built SV650, but still a decent bike.
As was already stated a lot depends on how far from stock the bike is.
Sorry for the double post above.

Bike is currently owned by Chris Davis. He had plans to race this but he never did. I do not know who the two CMRA riders are but he does. Should I ask?

Not on the same level as a SS 600... errr... not liking the sound of that too much.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Sorry for coming off like an ... back to the topic.

When I was in the market for a 1000 cc twin to track, I was advised to get an older prilla instead (TomLSTD). those can also be picked up for cheap, they make a more power , and already have the suspension goodies from the get go. Parts are out there but really the key thing with all bikes: DON'T CRASH.

I'm with you when it comes to grunt and that's why I love twins. IMO get a 650 instead. Why? BC if you can be faster with less you'll become a much better rider. I used to track the out of my naked sv and passed plenty of "faster" bikers even in A group. It is cliche, but speed is determined by a riders skills not the amount of power the bike has.

What's the asking price of the bike you're looking at?
No problem.

I know I know i know You're RIGHT. I just prefer the big boys. I'm stubborn.

He's asking $3,000.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I know I know i know You're RIGHT. I just prefer the big boys. I'm stubborn.

He's asking $3,000.
If you want to go play then the SV1k isn't going to cut it. You'll probably be faster on a 650. As mentioned, today's 600 SS are going to run circles around you (lower weight, more power).

check out the Prillas and see what you think.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Sorry for the double post above.

Bike is currently owned by Chris Davis. He had plans to race this but he never did. I do not know who the two CMRA riders are but he does. Should I ask?

Not on the same level as a SS 600... errr... not liking the sound of that too much.
may have to disagree with Pat on this one...Although, I want more power out of my SV 1K, I still would take it over my old (2007) GSXR 600....Now, catching a 750 or 1000 on the straights-good luck...as far as the 600's with Spears cams, pistons, etc...probably exhaust and pc 3 you may be in the 750 range...Spears Enterprises does a LOT of custom SV work...Very reputable..
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

BTW, I do post better times on my SV than my GSXR....I enjoyed the SV so much, I sold my GSXR....I enjoy the low end grunt...and yes, I am told all the time, you don't need more HP...just work on your riding. like Big Comfy I have passed many "faster" riders as well as group riders but an all out drag race with a liter or 750, better catch em in the corners!!!
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
may have to disagree with Pat on this one...Although, I want more power out of my SV 1K, I still would take it over my old (2007) GSXR 600....Now, catching a 750 or 1000 on the straights-good luck...as far as the 600's with Spears cams, pistons, etc...probably exhaust and pc 3 you may be in the 750 range...Spears Enterprises does a LOT of custom SV work...Very reputable..
M4 full exhaust with jet black coating? (whatever that means). EBC HH pads and galfer lines. BNC filter. Also a raised tank (???). Hotbodies fairings (slightly rashed). It also comes with a spare alas rusted tank. Its ready to go.

My main reason for seeking out the bigger bikes is not to bat out on the straights but more to have room for error in the corners. The low end grunt makes corners more forgiving. I am also Deaf so that parlays into my bike choice somewhat. I feel litre bikes rumble better as opposed to the shrills of the 600s. I am semi-amped about "hearing" a v-twin push the powerband. I also like a little weight on my bikes.

I aim to take a track bike home this weekend one way or another. I am looking at 3 tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

It may have been Luke Conlins old SV1000.
Judging from the 13:1 compression and Spears cams it sounds like it.
If so I 'm familiar with the bike as I built it for Luke.
In that configuration it was strong enough to beat his closest rival on an R1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), of course that was also with Luke in the saddle.

Be aware, at 13:1 compression it will require race fuel in order to live.
See if you can get more details on the bikes past.
There weren't a lot of race SV1000's in the CMRA and even less with built motors. I've had my hand in more than a few of the ones that were.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090

Last edited by Patrick; 07-08-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
My main reason for seeking out the bigger bikes is not to bat out on the straights but more to have room for error in the corners. The low end grunt makes corners more forgiving. I am also Deaf so that parlays into my bike choice somewhat. I feel litre bikes rumble better as opposed to the shrills of the 600s. I am semi-amped about "hearing" a v-twin push the powerband. I also like a little weight on my bikes.

I aim to take a track bike home this weekend one way or another. I am looking at 3 tomorrow.
Go the bigger route bike and it'll take longer to get good in the turns. You'll use the power as a crutch and also fear it. You will learn so much more on a small cc, lightweight bike. A 250 ninja was my best learning tool
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
Go the bigger route bike and it'll take longer to get good in the turns. You'll use the power as a crutch and also fear it. You will learn so much more on a small cc, lightweight bike. A 250 ninja was my best learning tool
I am also looking at Pyrobugs's track GSXR-600 tomorrow so I am keeping my options open. Which reminds me... I need to PM him. My phone decided to dump on my life and disappear.

:(

Thanks for the advice. In the spirit of this thread, let's keep it to gaining an education on this bike model and how I can benefit from riding it.

Patrick,
Using race fuel is fine with me. I've been down that route before. I see him early tomorrow. I will ask as many questions as I can about its history. Why is it important to you? Its been raced so I'm not expecting to pick up a spic and span engine. They get abused and I'm okay with that. The fella seemed to have a lot of knowledge behind its history so I'm sure it'll be a breeze getting it out of him. He mentioned the two racers were friends of his. He's currently in endurance so has dumped the idea of racing the SV1000.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #19
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

It's not "important" to me. To put it simply if I know whose bike it was I may be able to give you a better perspective on it as I've built a few of the more competitive SV1000s in the CMRA. No skin off my back, if you don't want my input I won't give it.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It's not "important" to me. To put it simply if I know whose bike it was I may be able to give you a better perspective on it as I've built a few of the more competitive SV1000s in the CMRA. No skin off my back, if you don't want my input I won't give it.
Nonono... I would love your input. I was simply wondering. I didn't mean important to you per se but why would it be important. Considering the low price, I guess I take it to mean that its history is worth less. In other words, its history is disposable.

Hey, we're talking input from a fella who's built these sort of motors. That's definitely useful to know. I will definitely post up what happens tomorrow for you to critique. Of course, if you're willing...

Advertisement