Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #61
ride-red
Monster

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 1000RR
04 VT1100C2
00 CBR929RR (SOLD)

50 miles round trip every chance I get.
ride-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commuting in boot? tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-10-2013 10:25 AM
Back Pack for commuting aznconquerer General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 07-05-2012 10:57 AM
Commuting fecnik General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 09-28-2009 07:45 PM
1st time commuting mattj0206 General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 03-20-2008 11:36 AM
Commuting to/from work TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 03-23-2007 01:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #62
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

DO IT.

I had plenty of dirt bike exp. when I got my 1st street bike. My first ride on the freeway was to work the next morning. It was intimidating at first but you get used to it.

For 9 months afterward I was riding 114 miles round trip. From Northeast side to Galveston. Traffic was crazy at 5:30 in the evening, but for me that made the ride that much more fun. I put 23,000 on it in 14 months.

I've also commuted from home out to I-10 and the Chambers county line. 50miles round trip. Used to leave work at 3:30 on that job. Just the time of day when traffic was starting to get crazy.

Than there was a summer in Colorado. 65 miles round trip. This was in the mountains. So we weren't on the freeway, but trust me when I say the traffic was still bad when several hundred construction workers get off at the same time( most had the same thought in mind "to the store for BEER") and the road is a twisty single lane one. With mountains on one side and an unguarded drop on the other. Not to mention the elk, bear, and cows that I have almost hit. Oh and the workers who weren't thinking of beer. They were thinking of going as slow as they could to hold the rest up from getting BEER!

Now to today's commute. I ride 59 miles round trip 50 of it on the freeway. Fortunately I don't go thru or near the city of Houston.

Daily riding will make your skills much sharper and keep them that way.

Words of advice for riding on the freeway.
Don't hangout beside anyone. And if traffic gets heavy enough that you have to. Stay next to their front end where they can't say you were in their blind spot.

When passing a semi speed up and get on by. Also don't ride to close to them when behind. I've had more than one blow a tire while in front of me.

And about them blown tires. And all the other road debris. Don't follow any traffic to close. Especially in the center of the auto. If they see debris many times they will straddle it. If you are right behind in the center you won't have a chance. When you do have to follow close stay in the wheel tracks. Preferably to whichever side that you have the most lane. Even far enough over to see the road ahead of the auto, but beware when you do move far to one side of your lane some cager WILL try to move up and share your lane with you. Often they will not really move up enough so you can easily see that they are there. So always look before moving to the other side. Try looking thru the autos windshield if you have to be behind. In the curves I try to ride to the inside of my lane so I can see around the traffic in front of me and see farther ahead.

Use your blinkers. It may make the dif. in someone seeing you vs. them not seeing you. Not to mention that it is the law.

Once you get comfortable riding in traffic. It will make your commute that much more enjoyable. Esp. when your have to be in a hurry and traffic is slow. I can't count the number of times that I've been able to slide back and forth from one lane to the other and pass 15 or 20 cars in a very short time. If I was in my cage I'd be stuck like Chuck. And that's without lane sharing or getting stupid about it.

The only other advice I can think of is that when you are riding and cagers start to gang up around you. If you see an opening in the traffic ahead or behind don't hesitate to get on it or back off the gas just long enough to get to the open section of road. Often I will accelerate to get out of a group of cagers. Just because infront of them is a 200 yard stretch of roadway that no one is using. I'll slow back down when I get to the open/safe section and let them pass by 1 at a time.
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #63
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I refuse to get stuck in the cluster . Once you are there, people start trying to block you in and keep you from passing them. Drvers really get aggressive in those situations.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #64
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
56-ish mile round trip every day on the WR-X.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #65
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
I ride about 20 miles each way. I have ridden through thunderstorms, 20 degree weather, snow, sleet, heat, you name it. When the weather isnt perfect, i am almost always the only bike i see out.

Unfortunately that is me also since I really don't have a choice lol.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #66
Jon C.

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

Going to ride from Fulshear to Houston (UH) tomorrow for the first time! Wish me luck I'll let y'all know how it goes
Jon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #67
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Jon, which UH location? DT or central? What route do you take and what time?
I-10 is all HOV from Mason (or Fry) to 610, from there it's only about 10 mins to DT.
Depending on the time, it can be a breeze to commute or on 2 wheels.

Good luck man.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #68
Jon C.

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

Heading to UH Central, plan on taking I-10 to 45 south. Luckily it's summer so I'm hoping my first time won't be too bad. Thanks for the luck!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #69
NAILLZ
I.C.B.M.

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2007 R6S

Member Garage

I'm in Tomball and i ride 60 miles round trip for my commute. My beemer stays parked in the garage while my R6 racks up the miles and save me plenty of green too. I travel to the Westchase District (Beltway 8 w/Bellaire blvd)

only time i don't ride is if the rain chance is 50% or above, but other then that I'm out!

Where ever my Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile goes my gear follows.
NAILLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #70
lazyhomie

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
00 zx6r

My commute is about 50 mi round trip. I drive to diff locations during the day so riding is what always look forward to when going from one point to another. I ride just about everyday unless weather is bad. I would say go for it test out the waters for about a week or so and you'll know if its too much to deal with or not.
lazyhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #71
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

i ride every day to work, but its up and down highway 6. i think you'll be ok if you hop on an HOV lane both ways. my other vehicle is a 98 4x4 tacoma that gets 18-20mpg compared to my ninja 250 @ 50mpg.

fuel savings adds up quickly. at 3.50/gallon, it'll take me riding 20,000 miles (or around 2.5 years) to pay off my used bike (around $2200) in fuel savings. plus riding on the HOV will save you time.

Last edited by yumbeef; 07-11-2011 at 09:08 AM.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #72
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Really good advice on here.

Remember when you're in traffic don't daydream even for a second. I've found myself doing this a couple of times in the past and it's surprised me how fast things change in just a second our two of looking away. Don't be flirting with the hottie in the car next to you etc. When I'm on the bike it's all business.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #73
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
I had plenty of dirt bike exp. when I got my 1st street bike. My first ride on the freeway was to work the next morning. It was intimidating at first but you get used to it.

For 9 months afterward I was riding 114 miles round trip. From Northeast side to Galveston. Traffic was crazy at 5:30 in the evening, but for me that made the ride that much more fun. I put 23,000 on it in 14 months.

I've also commuted from home out to I-10 and the Chambers county line. 50miles round trip. Used to leave work at 3:30 on that job. Just the time of day when traffic was starting to get crazy.

Than there was a summer in Colorado. 65 miles round trip. This was in the mountains. So we weren't on the freeway, but trust me when I say the traffic was still bad when several hundred construction workers get off at the same time( most had the same thought in mind "to the store for BEER") and the road is a twisty single lane one. With mountains on one side and an unguarded drop on the other. Not to mention the elk, bear, and cows that I have almost hit. Oh and the workers who weren't thinking of beer. They were thinking of going as slow as they could to hold the rest up from getting BEER!

Now to today's commute. I ride 59 miles round trip 50 of it on the freeway. Fortunately I don't go thru or near the city of Houston.

Daily riding will make your skills much sharper and keep them that way.

Words of advice for riding on the freeway.
Don't hangout beside anyone. And if traffic gets heavy enough that you have to. Stay next to their front end where they can't say you were in their blind spot.

When passing a semi speed up and get on by. Also don't ride to close to them when behind. I've had more than one blow a tire while in front of me.

And about them blown tires. And all the other road debris. Don't follow any traffic to close. Especially in the center of the auto. If they see debris many times they will straddle it. If you are right behind in the center you won't have a chance. When you do have to follow close stay in the wheel tracks. Preferably to whichever side that you have the most lane. Even far enough over to see the road ahead of the auto, but beware when you do move far to one side of your lane some cager WILL try to move up and share your lane with you. Often they will not really move up enough so you can easily see that they are there. So always look before moving to the other side. Try looking thru the autos windshield if you have to be behind. In the curves I try to ride to the inside of my lane so I can see around the traffic in front of me and see farther ahead.

Use your blinkers. It may make the dif. in someone seeing you vs. them not seeing you. Not to mention that it is the law.

Once you get comfortable riding in traffic. It will make your commute that much more enjoyable. Esp. when your have to be in a hurry and traffic is slow. I can't count the number of times that I've been able to slide back and forth from one lane to the other and pass 15 or 20 cars in a very short time. If I was in my cage I'd be stuck like Chuck. And that's without lane sharing or getting stupid about it.

The only other advice I can think of is that when you are riding and cagers start to gang up around you. If you see an opening in the traffic ahead or behind don't hesitate to get on it or back off the gas just long enough to get to the open section of road. Often I will accelerate to get out of a group of cagers. Just because infront of them is a 200 yard stretch of roadway that no one is using. I'll slow back down when I get to the open/safe section and let them pass by 1 at a time.
Very good advice !
Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #74
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Really good advice on here.

Remember when you're in traffic don't daydream even for a second. I've found myself doing this a couple of times in the past and it's surprised me how fast things change in just a second our two of looking away. Don't be flirting with the hottie in the car next to you etc. When I'm on the bike it's all business.
THAT^^^^

Last time I busted my I was listening to my iPOD daydreaming....

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #75
Jon C.

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Jon, which UH location? DT or central? What route do you take and what time?
I-10 is all HOV from Mason (or Fry) to 610, from there it's only about 10 mins to DT.
Depending on the time, it can be a breeze to commute or on 2 wheels.

Good luck man.

Ride was great bro! HOV was the best, although the wind wasn't too friendly today.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #76
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C. View Post
Ride was great bro! HOV was the best, although the wind wasn't too friendly today.
Man, that HOV has made such a huge difference for me, on the bike AND in the car. I don't travel down 45 from I-10 on my bike much, but I sure do hate the section where 45 wraps around DT with all the entrances, exits and merges. I-10, 288, 59... it's not a bike friendly area at all.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #77
outlaw 4

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
big prup (f41)
07 gsxr (stolen)
03 r6 sold

ride from pareland to stafford every day
outlaw 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #78
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaveman View Post
Hi guys, I just wanted to know, how many of you use your ride as a daily commuter.
Say I live north side (humble or so) and the office is at Galleria. Would you use your ride???
I ride from ClearLake to the Galleria. Most work days. Hop on the HOV lane and skip some traffic.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #79
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Man, that HOV has made such a huge difference for me, on the bike AND in the car. I don't travel down 45 from I-10 on my bike much, but I sure do hate the section where 45 wraps around DT with all the entrances, exits and merges. I-10, 288, 59... it's not a bike friendly area at all.
Which is exactly why I'll take I-10 to 59 south, just along Minute Maid park and GRB, then hop onto 45s, and exit for UH. No bumpy ride from Pierce Elevated, and not nearly as much traffic.

My work commute is katy to BW8 and 290.... everday on the bike (40mile round trip). Still undecided on riding to UH this fall (just got a bike this summer). Probably wait to see what all I need to have in class before fretting over it.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #80
Jon C.

Bike(s):
V-Star 1300 Raven

Quote:
Yeah I was a bit nervous making those squirrely turns with picks on both sides and an U-Haul in front of me . . . but I took some advice to keep my sides clear of cars and not to hang with them too long

Advertisement