MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
tbcaveman

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
yamaha r1
yamaha MT-01
Yamaha V-Max
Yamaha Virago 750
kawasaki zx-10r

I also like riding at night, specially during spring and sumer. What I have done and works for me is to look for a kind of "circuit". A route you know well, in terms of curves, pavement condition, dangerous spots and so on.
tbcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If they at least don't like the idea, maybe this isn't such a bad idea myla296 Off Topic 5 06-23-2013 03:52 PM
Bad idea? newguy2k3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-02-2012 07:12 PM
Does this sound like a bad Idea? Intermission General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-29-2009 09:59 PM
Good or bad idea? samv1368 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-14-2008 10:13 PM
just HOW bad of an idea is this...? Detritus General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-03-2008 08:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

I try to avoid night riding ever since a group of hogs decided to block the highway once.

I still do it fairly often since I dont ever drive the cage anymore. Just take it slower.
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

hit up beltway 8 feeder after 2am.. wheelies for miles
Old 07-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

NIGHT RIDING - At night, not only is it hard to see, but people can hardly see you.

SEEING - Upgrade your headlights. If you don't have them already, get some HID headlights. These aide in your vision at night by providing a high light output. The difference between Halogen and HID is like night and day, your gonna love HID. (You really only need low beam)

BEING SEEN - Bikes with LEDs, extra running lights, neon kits, and reflectivity. J.C. Whitney sells a halogen brake lamp for about $10.00 that is 30% brighter than stock bulbs. You can also buy super bright LED lighting that is much brighter than the typical automotive bulb.

- Add reflective tape to your bike

- WEAR BRIGHT CLOTHING

(If you want to be objective, one dark night you should park your bike somewhere with the lights on, and stand off at a distance to assess how visible it really is from the front, back and side. While you are at it, shine a light on it to see how reflective it is.)

- Always wear clear, clean, unscratched eye protection at night, and understand that even with up-rated headlights, details of the road’s surface may escape you. Odds are that you are sharing the roads not just with nocturnal creatures, SO TAKE THE ROUTE THAT HAS THE MOST TRAFFIC, and LESS RURAL ROADS.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #25
MCgixxer
stunter in training

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600
2003 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to MCgixxer
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Personally, I think its a wash in terms of danger. Yes, you've got reduced visibility and all the drunks are out, but on the other hand, you have a far reduced level of traffic.

Riding is dangerous - period. For that matter, life is dangerous.
MCgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
If you do wheelies people to tend to pay more attention to you...

Wheelies = safety
.. Then your headlights act as a directional flash light... you know you liked when I did that little power wheelie on that dark as road.. lit up the trees and all..

Night is dangerous but so is riding so it is what it is...
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #27
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
NIGHT RIDING - At night, not only is it hard to see, but people can hardly see you.

SEEING - Upgrade your headlights. If you don't have them already, get some HID headlights. These aide in your vision at night by providing a high light output. The difference between Halogen and HID is like night and day, your gonna love HID. (You really only need low beam)

BEING SEEN - Bikes with LEDs, extra running lights, neon kits, and reflectivity. J.C. Whitney sells a halogen brake lamp for about $10.00 that is 30% brighter than stock bulbs. You can also buy super bright LED lighting that is much brighter than the typical automotive bulb.

- Add reflective tape to your bike

- WEAR BRIGHT CLOTHING

(If you want to be objective, one dark night you should park your bike somewhere with the lights on, and stand off at a distance to assess how visible it really is from the front, back and side. While you are at it, shine a light on it to see how reflective it is.)

- Always wear clear, clean, unscratched eye protection at night, and understand that even with up-rated headlights, details of the road’s surface may escape you. Odds are that you are sharing the roads not just with nocturnal creatures, SO TAKE THE ROUTE THAT HAS THE MOST TRAFFIC, and LESS RURAL ROADS.
Or ride like no one sees you anyways and always go about 10 fast than everyone else so you take out the rear danger..
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #28
tbssowner

Experience: 3 years

Yes I found out comprehensive insurance will cover animal damage when riding at night.
I like riding on the freeway at night especially the toll roads because its rather peacful and very few cars, just becareful of leo's and drunks.
tbssowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement