MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
KLX110 replacement carb

I can't, for the life of me, get this bike to idle. After it warms up the idle hangs and sometimes won't ever come down. Other times restarting it will. Sometimes it comes down on its own. I'm tired of messing with it, and just want to replace it. Short of paying the dealer's absurd pricing for a factory carb, what options are available to me?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Klx110 jetting hondarider77 Performance and Modifications 2 11-26-2013 03:04 PM
klx110 suspension Chubby Racer Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 23 03-18-2011 11:28 AM
Does anyone have a list of no carb - low carb foods? GIXXERKELLY Health and Fitness 7 08-17-2009 11:32 AM
What to measure for a carb replacement? tonyt915 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 05-22-2009 10:24 AM
New KLX110 graphics for me! stunt-r Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 14 09-25-2008 05:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

used factory carb? there are a few on egay and you can probably post a wtb ad on planetminis and get a lot of responses. I'll check my shop on friday and see if i have 1 collecting dust. . .
Old 07-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

air leak? clogged pilot? idle adjustment? air/fuel screw adjustment?

I'd say your jetting is probably off or your boot/manifold is leaking.

Last edited by hotnanas; 07-06-2011 at 01:48 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

throttle cable potentially sticking?
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
wakeupluis

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Raven R1

my suggestion is get you a gallon of that carb cleaner dip. They sell it at the auto parts. take it apart all the way and soak it overnight. Put it back together and it should be just fine. No reason a carb would go bad unless you have an air leak or something is plugged.
wakeupluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
air leak? clogged pilot? idle adjustment? air/fuel screw adjustment?

I'd say your jetting is probably off or your boot/manifold is leaking.
Jetting is original, and the bike is stock

I've replaced every single gasket in the intake tract so it shouldn't leak

I've endlessly with the idle adjustment to no avail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
throttle cable potentially sticking?
brand spankin' new throttle cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupluis View Post
my suggestion is get you a gallon of that carb cleaner dip. They sell it at the auto parts. take it apart all the way and soak it overnight. Put it back together and it should be just fine. No reason a carb would go bad unless you have an air leak or something is plugged.

Been through the carb twice now.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Ive told ya to come borrow my carb lol. I need to get kibs 70 back to him too. Maybe I can bring both to GSS. Y'all going to be there?
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

First:
check the air leak by spraying some carb cleaner or wd40 around the manifold. Hanging idle is generally an indication of a lean condition.

Second: work with the air/fuel screw. When you get that correct, you will know whether or not you have the right sized pilot jet. Then rejet and repeat, or adjust your idle to proper speed.

EDIT:

or...

THIRD - borrow Chad's carb or wrenches.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

does it have a pod filter? if so stock jetting wont cut it

what about the rubber boot on the intake, mine was cracked pretty bad causing air to seap in, I ended up filling the hole JB weld and its ran fine ever since
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

Bring it someplace and lets go over it. I am sure we can find and come up with a solve for the problem. I wouldnt mind taking a crack at it.

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
andygill17

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

how's the fuel screw set? I picked up an xr-100 for my girlfriend and it was missing the fuel screw. It would run, but not very good...high, hanging idle that would sometimes come down and I had to constantly adjust the idle screw as it warmed up. Once I got the missing fuel screw and adjusted it, it runs perfect now.
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
does it have a pod filter? if so stock jetting wont cut it
Stock airbox with the rubber baffle that sits in the frame yanked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
what about the rubber boot on the intake, mine was cracked pretty bad causing air to seap in, I ended up filling the hole JB weld and its ran fine ever since
Air you talking about the vacuum cap on the intake? If so, its brand new.

If you're talking about the house that connects the carb to the airbox, I didn't see any cracks when I inspected it.

CMRA #302
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Ive told ya to come borrow my carb lol. I need to get kibs 70 back to him too. Maybe I can bring both to GSS. Y'all going to be there?
You're just too far away!

I don't think either of us is going to be at GSS next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
Second: work with the air/fuel screw. When you get that correct, you will know whether or not you have the right sized pilot jet. Then rejet and repeat, or adjust your idle to proper speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill17 View Post
how's the fuel screw set? I picked up an xr-100 for my girlfriend and it was missing the fuel screw. It would run, but not very good...high, hanging idle that would sometimes come down and I had to constantly adjust the idle screw as it warmed up. Once I got the missing fuel screw and adjusted it, it runs perfect now.
To be perfectly honest, one of the primary problems is that I don't know a thing about carbs. I can disassemble, clean, and reassemble easily enough but I don't have a clue what any of the parts actually do. So I just twist the two little screws I can get a screwdriver on till it idles at an rpm I like. That's about all I'm capable of doing.

CMRA #302
Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Bagwell

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
Various Equipment for various uses.
Dirt, Street, Track, Dual Sport, I like em all.

Exactly where are you located?

#104 I Just Wanna Ride TMGP Endurance Team
Bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

I'm near highland knolls and westgreen

CMRA #302

Advertisement