Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
RZ350 opinions

about to get a nice paycheck. also have a beater subaru station wagon i can sell, and then want to sell my 79 yamaha xs1100 also. (have a toyota truck also, that i will be keeping so i wont be without 4 wheels to do this) if i put all that dough together, i think i can snag one. there is usually one maybe two on ebay for $4-6K.

my reasons for wanting one, is that i really dont need or want all the insane top speeds that 4 stroke inline 4's have. i live in VA beach now, and there is not really anywhere to do that kind of speed anyways. i would rather have something that makes me want to my pants everytime the light turns green. i think i would enjoy a bike where the challenge is in keeping the front wheel down

i also plan on dropping a drag built banshee motor in the beast. i have seen 695cc kits...i dont know how that is possible or how long they last, but they are out there (yes...i AM insane, and NO i dont need you to tell me this. the voices do that quite well enough when i dont take the medication ) i work at a dealer so i can get employee discounts on all kinds of OEM and aftermarket banshee parts. most is readily available still, and it all pretty much interchanges with the rz stuff. (its the same motor)

questions i have
-pros? cons? why did you sell it if you got rid of it?
-i would like to be able to keep up with 600's and 750's on the street, and maybe at the track...is this doable? top speed on a stock rz is said to be about 115...how much more displacement will i need to hit, say...140 tops? how much more/will i need more displacement to keep up in a quarter mile?
-how much more am i looking at in maintenance costs? how often does a stock RZ need a new top end?
-as an afterthought, what kind of mileage does it get?

is this bike really the or does it just have that reputation? i dont want to drop 5k and then feel like it isnt all that. again, i dont need top speed. i would even be ok with 125-130, but itd better have ludacris acceleration. i want to own a bike that can scare me like the first time i rode.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need your opinions please help :-) 2KBUSA General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 10-24-2010 09:38 PM
Opinions BlackWidow Stunters Lounge 11 05-02-2009 11:45 PM
Need second opinions Yamawhore General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 01-16-2009 09:02 AM
Opinions please BigComfy Off Topic 29 02-14-2007 02:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I don't think an RZ350 is what you are looking for. From your description it sounds like you want a Corvette and an RZ is a Mazda Miata.
Fun? yes
Lightweight? yes
Quick handling? yes
Badass? not exactly

RZ's are sweet, fun, quick little bikes but they are not haul , run with the big dogs, 1/4 mile dominators. IMHO

I might be interested in that XS11oo though...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i hear you. my guts are telling me that a stock rz is probably cooler than a gs500...almost the same or close to a sv650? does that sound about right?

again...im thinking it would be a much more serious contender with the huge banshee motor kit installed. thats gotta count for something.

i have ridden TONS of bikes. i was the assembly/prep and make ready guy at mancuso for about a year or so when i lived in houston. i rode near EVERYTHING that came into or left from that garage. busa's, gsxrs, zx10's 14's. some of them with thousands of motor work... whatever. you name it. but the bike i enjoyed riding the most...

..and this is gonna sound silly ...but...

but it was the little KX85's and like that. dads buying them for their kids...i would assemble the thing and go for the required "Safety" ride. these things are made for 60 pound kids, and here it is doing wheelies in third gear with my 165 pound on it.

ill send you a PM about the 1100.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
i hear you. my guts are telling me that a stock rz is probably cooler than a gs500...almost the same or close to a sv650? does that sound about right?

again...im thinking it would be a much more serious contender with the huge banshee motor kit installed. thats gotta count for something.
Don't get me wrong, the RZ's ARE cool. I have ridden a few of them, both modified and stock.
They will power wheelie pretty easy with nothing more than a set of pipes.
But they are not beasts.
IMHO, I'd hate to see you put a Banshee motor in one because they are kinda rare. Get a wrecked bike of newer, less unusual description and put a banshee in that.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

That was my first bike. A well ridden rz will disgrace a middleweight bike any day. They have a pretty flimsy chasis, and are not drag bikes, but nothing beats a two stroker! Get it!
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
. Get a wrecked bike of newer, less unusual description and put a banshee in that.
that sounds like a total pain in the . when the rz was discontinued, they used the same motor for the banshee instead. banshees were made till 06 or 08. that the beauty of it. almost vintage bike, but motor parts are still on the shelf. the motors direct swap (and all the parts in them) with little or no adjustments needing to be made. you lose the YPVS but can put in much bigger cylinders. i really dont want to get into filing, sawing, welding, measuring, and custom fabbing. blech!

i would keep the stocker motor in case the biggun eventually hand grenades.

have you ridden any of the Gammas or NSR's? got any other suggestions?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Owned, raced, blew up and rebuilt and blew up more then a couple...

They are LONG in the tooth now, respond well to alot of hop up
modifications but also come appart with higher HP and higher RPM....

Electronics (power valve and CDI boxes) were hard to come by in the early
'90s so now they have to be hens teeth.

Uprated HP = uprated radiator

Tires are SKINNY by today standards and odd sizes, 110/80-18 frt 130/70-18 rear.

Stock shock is complete trash so if it doesn't come with a quality servicable rear there is $800 to get one made.

Forks are SKINNY , 35mm. You can actually feel them flex under heavy braking and
the brakes were marginal.

If you are buying a box stocker that is clean to toodle around on the street then
thats cool.

If you are wanting to "tune", there are much better platforms to start with....

IMHO and YMMV ...
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
If you are wanting to "tune", there are much better platforms to start with....

such as? im always open to options.

thanks for the feedback on the RZ. based on whats being said so far, i think i would enjoy the out of it. ive seen a few mods out there to retro fit the RZ with modern shocks and forks, even swingarm and rim to fit a 150/70-17 or something, if i wanted to go that route.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

You can find a RZ then spend thousands of dollars to get a marginal handling, medium HP bike that is very different or spend the same money you would on just the mods
on a SV that is perfectly customized to what you want and is bullet proof and makes more HP and handles loads better with tons of cheap spares to be had.

There was a FANTASTIC starting point in the FS section but apparently the member has been wiped from the record because his ad and he is gone....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #10
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
You can find a RZ then spend thousands of dollars to get a marginal handling, medium HP bike that is very different or spend the same money you would on just the mods
on a SV that is perfectly customized to what you want and is bullet proof and makes more HP and handles loads better with tons of cheap spares to be had.

There was a FANTASTIC starting point in the FS section but apparently the member has been wiped from the record because his ad and he is gone....
I'm agreeing.
By the time you replace the forks, the shock, the motor, the exhaust and maybe the swingarm you might as well have started with something closer to what you wanted in the first place.
AND spared a fairly unusual RZ from losing it's way down the vintage bike road. lol
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

sv?

*yawn* dude for real? that suggestion almost put me to sleep. for reference...this is not a "hey im done with my starter bike what should i get next" thread. im on my 6th bike, been riding for about 8 years. been working at dealerships most of that time, including the 1-2 years at mancuso where i got to ride almost everything under the sun.

i would get something like an 05 gsxr 750 before i got an sv. i would be fairly happy with that model gsxr, but if anything, i would want it to be lighter, smaller, and would want more acceleration, or at least power delivery like the 2 stroke RZ would have. i would be more than willing to give up top end speed, as i would never use it anyways.

any and all feedback is appreciated however, thanks for taking the time to post!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Well, do what ya want.
I had an '04 GSXR 750, which, as I'm sure you know, is the same as the '05. Very fast, handles great, etc etc.
So gear it for acceleration, and you would have a pretty quick scoot. Of course it would suck on the freeway.
How bout another direction?
How bout an Aprilia 250 with a Honda CRF450 motor? Light, fast etc etc
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Advertisement