MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Suspension What can you tell from this pic?

I rode with theColonel and the 6am group and then the forest ride with Novajess and his group later. My front tire BT-016 was about ready to be replaced. Before the ride it had over 10.5k on it and the center of it had the most wear. On the first group the pace was spirited, but short and more moderate than the second ride. For the last part of Novajess' ride I hung on to the coat tails of Cdill and Bevo so my pace was pretty brisk. We rode up to Yankees then retraced my steps(just a touch slower) alone on the way home. With a wrong turn or 2 I did 300 miles total with the commute to and from.

Anyway the wear that is now on the sides exceeds the wear on the center. I"m still reading TOTW2 and learning how to ride a sportbike so I haven't got into suspension tuning yet. But this much wear on one ride doesn't seem normal. Although I just checked the psi it was between 29 and 34 depending on which gauge I used. Guess it's time for a new gauge. The shocks are set to middle of the road on the top adjustment. I'm assuming it's the compression and 1 turn in (out of 3) for the bottom adjustment. Again I'm assuming it's the rebound. Not sure about any other settings. The bike is an 08 cbr1000rr with stock susp.

What if anything can you tell form reading this and looking at the pic? I'll be getting the susp. set by a pro within a couple of weeks so I'm just trying to learn a little now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-02_17-26-41_342.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	46461  
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension, do I need it or not?? CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-23-2012 12:04 PM
Suspension Grimace Performance and Modifications 3 07-02-2009 04:39 PM
suspension robertmayton Performance and Modifications 20 01-25-2007 02:11 PM
Suspension BigComfy Motorcycles Unlimited 0 12-07-2006 09:56 AM
Suspension Buck Nasty General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-04-2006 11:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Davekg
Honda Rider

Bike(s):
08 CBR

idk ... I run 36psig cold front and rear on my BT016's the stock dunlap that came on mine wore funny though... had like cups in it I got the suspension set up when I went to the 016's and they have done great..

Davekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

those tires are pretty soft on the side. mine only made it to about 4000 miles before I hit the tread marker. If you had 10.5k and you rode on them with pretty low psi (for the street), on rough roads, on a hot day, I wouldn't be too surprised that you wore them out that quick. Just my opinion, I'll wait for the experts to chime in
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

the left side of the tire wears more than the right..it's normal. All the bikes i have owned do the same...i have heard this happens because of the roads design (shoulder lower than the center to move rain water off the roads) also we ride on the right side of the road, so, left corners have larger radius than right corners.......I am more comfortable with left corners than right corners. IMO, suspension setting has nothing to do with one side wearing more than the other.
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
VicTOEmizer

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Huh....

Last edited by VicTOEmizer; 07-02-2011 at 07:57 PM.
VicTOEmizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Mr.D

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

I'd say you got some flux in your capacitor.

Yup.

That's what I'd say.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
those tires are pretty soft on the side. mine only made it to about 4000 miles before I hit the tread marker. If you had 10.5k and you rode on them with pretty low psi (for the street), on rough roads, on a hot day, I wouldn't be too surprised that you wore them out that quick. Just my opinion, I'll wait for the experts to chime in
4k! How aggressively were you riding. I usually run the max specifically for the longevity of the tire and due to the fact that I don't ride aggressively to the point where I need the extra traction that comes with lower pressures. I have just neglected checking it with a gauge like I should have. Just been beating on it with my hand every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad View Post
the left side of the tire wears more than the right..it's normal. All the bikes i have owned do the same...i have heard this happens because of the roads design (shoulder lower than the center to move rain water off the roads) also we ride on the right side of the road, so, left corners have larger radius than right corners.......I am more comfortable with left corners than right corners. IMO, suspension setting has nothing to do with one side wearing more than the other.
Wear due to the uneven road is still on the center. I understand what your saying as I have seen it many times on my other bike. Before today my tire was wearing normal the most wear was right in the center of the tire. Then the farther from the center you looked the deeper the tread got. Now the middle of each side is almost completely wore out and I still have about the same in the center. The wear that I'm looking at came from todays hard cornering. But in my opinion we didn't ride hard enough and long enough to really see that kind of wear. I was recently thumbing thru a roadracing magazine( I think) and came across an article that showed a rear tire that had been run with the susp set incorrectly for the riding conditions. The tire was totally shredded on the sides. The article also stated that had the susp. been set correctly. The tire should have last many times longer than it did. Couple that with the wear I am looking at from today made me ask the question. What's wrong here? Maybe I'll have to get that susp. setup sooner than I was going to, before I get the new tires. Just so I can ask the suspension guys. I was trying to avoid a special trip for it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
I'd say you got some flux in your capacitor.

Yup.

That's what I'd say.
that's what was wrong all along. Thanks for reminding me to check. I had actually run out of flux for my capacitor. And I use that high dollar special order type. Now Im screwed for a week until my refill gets here.

Last edited by The BeastMaster; 07-03-2011 at 12:27 AM.
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

10.5K is a lot of miles on a BT-016..even on my old SV, those things would only last half that long.

your tire pressure seems ok (assuming that was cold pressure). and remember, YOUR SUSPENSION CAN EFFECT TIRE WEAR! have your suspension dialed in by a professional, don't try to do it yourself.

..looking at the center tells me that you are WAAY over do for a new set anyways. just make sure that with your new set, you check your tire pressure before every ride.

Last edited by BRYAN; 07-03-2011 at 12:43 AM.
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

It's normal for the left to wear more on the than the right. It's road grade.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

And more so with lower psi.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Holy you guys give advice!
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

get new tires, get your suspension set up, and use a tire gauge for christ sake.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
that's what I was thinking
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

shhhhhhhhhhh These Guys are Professionals... don't try this at home!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Hey Reese,

10.5k on a front bt016 is extraordinary IMO. Rather than get what might possibly be the wrong answer here, I'd suggest buying a new set of tires, (BT016's are great for commuting, spirited backroads riding and even track days to a point) install them and then have your suspension tuned at motorcycle's unlimited before you ride on the new tires.

It was good riding with you yesterday.... hope to see you at a track day soon.

Last edited by cdill35; 07-03-2011 at 11:49 AM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
Anyway the wear that is now on the sides exceeds the wear on the center. Although I just checked the psi it was between 29 and 34 depending on which gauge I used.

Guess it's time for a new gauge. The shocks are set to middle of the road on the top adjustment. I'm assuming it's the compression and 1 turn in (out of 3) for the bottom adjustment. Again I'm assuming it's the rebound. Not sure about any other settings. The bike is an 08 cbr1000rr with stock susp.

What if anything can you tell form reading this and looking at the pic? I'll be getting the susp. set by a pro within a couple of weeks so I'm just trying to learn a little now.
If your pressure was 34 cold, you were good for the street
If it was 34 hot you are too low

That pic tells me you are more comfortable on left turns than right, or you have an alignment issue

Top screw on the fork is rebound, lower is compression. Just the opposite on the shock

My BT016 looked just like that on both sides after a spirited run on the Dragon.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
get new tires, get your suspension set up, and use a tire gauge for christ sake.
I'm too lazy to remove the cap and get down there. Not to mention that i have to put the thing back on. Then if it's low I have to go into my workshop turn on the compressor get the hose, the tire chuck. Drag it out and put some air in. Then roll everything back up and turn off the compressor. That's a lot of work since, the is just going to leak out again. But I'll try. I did just buy me another tire gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
shhhhhhhhhhh These Guys are Professionals... don't try this at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Hey Reese,

10.5k on a front bt016 is extraordinary IMO. Rather than get what might possibly be the wrong answer here, I'd suggest buying a new set of tires, (BT016's are great for commuting, spirited backroads riding and even track days to a point) install them and then have your suspension tuned at motorcycle's unlimited before you ride on the new tires.

There nothing funny in your post....Oohhh your actually getting back to the point.

I like to get my moneys worth. I got over 6k out of the first rear bt016. It was a very delicate ride to the tire shop though. Those steel cords don't grip worth the .

Yea, I think I'm going to make a trip to Motorcycles Unlimited first thing next week for the setup before I get the new tires. This way I can show and ask the techs what I am asking here.
Until I get a lot more educated on the subject. I wasn't going to try and do it myself. Just thought I might learn something here. And I did.......
Some people are and some people are cool, but then again if it weren't for the . The cool people wouldn't be so cool.

Barring any unforeseen disasters you will see me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
If your pressure was 34 cold, you were good for the street
If it was 34 hot you are too low

That pic tells me you are more comfortable on left turns than right, or you have an alignment issue

Top screw on the fork is rebound, lower is compression. Just the opposite on the shock

My BT016 looked just like that on both sides after a spirited run on the Dragon.
Thanks for clearing that up. Now I don't have to ASSume anymore.
About the lefts vs. rights. Strange thing is, I do feel more comfy in a lefty( I am a southpaw). From the chickenstrips it appears as though I lean farther to the right than the left, but on my cruiser I've hardly ever scraped my right footpeg. And I used to scrape the left regularly. On the CBR I've still got a long ways to go to get anything down.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Hey Reese,

I've run nothing but 016's and the fronts are pretty much done at 7500 miles, the rears at 5500 miles.
Suspension was done at Motorcycles Unlimited when the odometer showed 350 miles on it, never been touched since.............16k and counting.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio