MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #41
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely turned off of buying used gear, but somethings for me personally would weird me out. That's why I never said he couldn't do it and make money at it. I think it's a great idea. I gave the idea of how I'd start mostly to test the waters. From now on when I get used gear though I hope to know the person a bit more (i.e. friends) because if he's got roaches all through his house, I don't want his gear. haha. I would at least browse the store and entertain the thought because price talks volumes, but I'd probably become a 'friend' of the store before I bought regularly so that I would know how clean their cleaning process was. I have a helmet that I love and would probably not ever resell it, not because I love it that much, but because I sweat my off in it and wouldn't feel right unless I cleaned the tar out of it and at this point, I'd have to know the store felt the same way. I can't even say that I'd only get it if the owner would wear it himself because he may be (not saying he is) that guy that will walk in to your room as your buddy and put on a pair of your underwear that still has a fresh hershy stain in them. haha.

Honestly, I love the idea, and I'm not the guy that says "don't do it because", but rather the guy that's say "this is the you'll run in to, so figure out how you're going to over come this so that it work". Ya know.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was I thinking?! No GEAR?!? TiemannR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 04-05-2011 10:24 PM
L.L.C. thinking of opening my own company! PYROBUG51 Off Topic 22 05-18-2010 12:01 AM
Thinking of buying a used motorcycle? Read First.. FJRmgm General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-21-2009 03:40 PM
***NEW BIKE SHOP GRAND OPENING*** dotcom Events, Meets and Rides 31 10-14-2006 04:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #42
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper View Post
you may want to build a very basic website of photos for the stuff you have in the store. This might be a hassle to update but will give you exposure to people that look for stuff they need.
It would be like ebay but better because you can find something you like online, call to see if it is still available, drop by and inspect the real condition of the gear and if you like it then buy it.
This would give you a clear advantage over eBay.
That could be as easy as having a photo bucket account. If it's on the account, it's for sale in the "store". Photobucket gives you the option of taging the photo also so you can use a SKU and price it.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #43
j27
Hey new guy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki 500R

I think it's a great idea. I'm looking for gear now and it's not cheap. From everything I've heard, there's no way to verify the structural integrity of a helmet so used helmets might be tough to do. If there was a way to certify that the helmet is still sound, that would make it an easier sell.

I think as long as the gear is clean and the shop has a nice atmosphere then people will look less at it like they are just buying used gear and they will feel like they are picking up something new and exciting. It makes me think of the contrast between buying from a Buffalo Exchange/Leopard Lounge/Taxi Taxi vs. a Value Village.

As long as you're carrying the good stuff and it's good quality and cleaned up nice, I definitely feel there is a market for it. Also - I haven't been here long, but I feel like the community on motohouston is very supportive of fellow riders. You'd probably get a ton of business from here along (once you became a sponsor of course ).

GL!
j27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #44
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Lids are pretty easy actually, if it looks and smells like funk, it isn't worth it. New is really the only way to go unless it's a lid that was purchase and only wore acouple times and the purchaser realized it wasn't for them. It really is easy to tell.

Everything else is fair game.

Used full suits are a pain to clean but to be fair you won't really sell many of those compaired to jackets, boots, gloves.

You could also throw Moto specific tools as well. I have a bunch of tools I'll never use again. Same thing. Buy low, sell for a reasonable mark up. Tie downs, ramps,
stands. It's all fair game, don't limit yourself.

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #45
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I'd say test the waters using CL for a bit before investing in a storefront.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #46
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
make sure you have very good liability insurance!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #47
Bgsxr1000

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 Yamaha Stryker Custom

1996 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1999 Sportster Hard Tail Conversion Project
Wanted: Yamaha WR426

Hey, more power to you. "2nd gear" I believe there is a market for it. When I sell a bike and a person does not have a jacket or helmet I will sell what I have to them. You can try to create package deals to those who are selling bike. There always a new rider out there. Let me know I have some items I need to sell.
Bgsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement