MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #21
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'm looking for size 48 one pieces. XL gauntlet gloves. Size 8 1/2 boots. Shoot me a PM if you have anything in stock. A little rash is okay. I'm looking for cheap but quality.
sorry man I would love to help you lol but I haven't started buying inventory! If I do find what you're looking for I will let you know.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What was I thinking?! No GEAR?!? TiemannR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 04-05-2011 10:24 PM
L.L.C. thinking of opening my own company! PYROBUG51 Off Topic 22 05-18-2010 12:01 AM
Thinking of buying a used motorcycle? Read First.. FJRmgm General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-21-2009 03:40 PM
***NEW BIKE SHOP GRAND OPENING*** dotcom Events, Meets and Rides 31 10-14-2006 04:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Send a message via AIM to AiJay Send a message via MSN to AiJay
It would a very specialized market. Unlike Plato's Closet that people have mentioned, everyone has to wear clothes. People are used to shopping for deals at marshalls,ross, PC, etc. You would be competing with eBay which is on a worldwide market vs. your local store for specific merchandise. I really don't see it working unless you opened a shop with new gear also (and then double competing with someone like cycle gear) and offered bike parts/repairs. People tend to shop for a "One stop shop." You know if they are getting an oil change they can browse your used gear selection while they are waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
That and piitb.
AiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #23
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijay View Post
It would a very specialized market. Unlike Plato's Closet that people have mentioned, everyone has to wear clothes. People are used to shopping for deals at marshalls,ross, PC, etc. You would be competing with eBay which is on a worldwide market vs. your local store for specific merchandise. I really don't see it working unless you opened a shop with new gear also (and then double competing with someone like cycle gear) and offered bike parts/repairs. People tend to shop for a "One stop shop." You know if they are getting an oil change they can browse your used gear selection while they are waiting.
What I am going for is a specialized market. For example you have a friend/girlfriend you want to ride with you but you don't want to buy new gear and pay full price, you would most likely go with used gear at a reduced price. You would probably find what you're looking for at a shop that I suggested. Same thing for new riders. One thing I have noticed when someone knows you as a person that rides motorcycles, they always ask you about how to get started riding. Just as much as people say "Take the MSF first" they also say "Buy gear". I wouldn't want to carry aftermarket parts, oil changes, and be a one stop shop because I would like to focus on one objective. Provide quality used gear and be known for that. I'll talk with my brother more about this and so far I feel like we will move forward with this approach. Thanks again to everyone that gave me their feedback. Much appreciated.

Last edited by ivancuriel; 07-01-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
AiJay
AJ... that's the name.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
Huffy 10sp

Send a message via AIM to AiJay Send a message via MSN to AiJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivancuriel View Post
What I am going for is a specialized market. For example you have a friend/girlfriend you want to ride with you but you don't want to buy new gear. You would probably find what you're looking for at a shop that I suggested. Same thing for new riders. One thing I have noticed when someone knows you as a person that rides motorcycles, they always ask you about how to get started riding. Just as much as people say "Take the MSF first" they also say "Buy gear". I wouldn't want to carry aftermarket parts, oil changes, and be a one stop shop because I would like to focus on one objective. Provide quality used gear and be known for that. I'll talk with my brother more about this and so far I feel like we will move forward with this approach. Thanks again to everyone that gave me their feedback. Much appreciated.
I'll give you the benefit saying you'd be the only place i knew that carried used gear that I could browse. But just like any other resale shop, (unless your selection was extremely extensive) what prevents me from going on eBay, never leaving my chair, finding the exact size I need and having it shipped to me vs. going to your shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
That and piitb.
AiJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #25
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.

Quote:
I'll give you the benefit saying you'd be the only place i knew that carried used gear that I could browse. But just like any other resale shop, (unless your selection was extremely extensive) what prevents me from going on eBay, never leaving my chair, finding the exact size I need and having it shipped to me vs. going to your shop?
You could always pick up the phone and call Keep your seat warm. Its a trade off. Personally I wouldnt mind driving getting my gear the same day over waiting a few days for delivery. But if getting packages in the mail excites you as much as it does to me, I have a UPS shipping account that I could use as well.

Last edited by ivancuriel; 07-02-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #26
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
fits me funny. I got short legs, long body, and a potbelly. I'd give anythting to end my craigslist search for track leathers. I have gone as far as Dallas in my search...
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #27
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.

Quote:
fits me funny. I got short legs, long body, and a potbelly. I'd give anythting to end my craigslist search for track leathers. I have gone as far as Dallas in my search...
It would be no problem to have people try on the gear before they buy, after all they've been worn already
Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #28
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
It would be no problem to have people try on the gear before they buy, after all they've been worn already
Makes no difference really. I try on new stuff too. In fact, new or old... if i cant try it on... chances are good that I will leave it on the rack.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #29
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.

Quote:
Makes no difference really. I try on new stuff too. In fact, new or old... if i cant try it on... chances are good that I will leave it on the rack.
You're right, I was just kind of stating the obvious lol.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #30
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Another suggestion. Buy close out gear from other shops and distributors. Buy gear from shops that are closing down/going out of business. I have bought new gear over the last decade $.15~$.25 on the dollar and resold it at half retail
(on eBay and word of mouth) for a decent profit. I have had some ideas over the years about the same thing, but I don't have the time to invest. I am positive it could work.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #31
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpimp View Post
Another suggestion. Buy close out gear from other shops and distributors. Buy gear from shops that are closing down/going out of business. I have bought new gear over the last decade $.15~$.25 on the dollar and resold it at half retail
(on eBay and word of mouth) for a decent profit. I have had some ideas over the years about the same thing, but I don't have the time to invest. I am positive it could work.
Hey thank you for the advice! I will definitely keep a look out for that.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #32
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
sorry man I would love to help you lol but I haven't started buying inventory! If I do find what you're looking for I will let you know.
*buzz*

Wrong answer. You should have said... give me a little time and I'll find you one. Point is... always keep the customer interested in your specialized shop. Those customers are precious and far in between. Snag him. Hook him and he'll keep coming back...
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #33
signpimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
Let me know if you do get it going. I have some gear I could sell you or put on consignment with you. Among other things, I'm in the sign business and could help with signage if you don't have anyone.

Consignment would be another great option to get some inventory in there without the upfront cost...
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #34
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.

[QUOTE=NitroHonda;2958454]*buzz*

Wrong answer. You should have said... give me a little time and I'll find you one. Point is... always keep the customer interested in your specialized shop. Those customers are precious and far in between. Snag him. Hook him and he'll keep coming back...[/QUOTEi

I understand. But as you know I haven't started anything right now and I'd hate to deliver an empty promise. I'm familar with customer service as I've done it my whole working life.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #35
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenW View Post
isn't that how new enough got started?
Sure is.

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #36
Squirrel669
Squirrelly Girl

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
Plus you will have to spend some money on getting the gear cleaned. I sweat like a in my leathers so I know that'd suck to clean.
By the time you bought a used product, had it cleaned (cleaning leathers isn't cheap) you could have bought a brand new set practically. I am not to keen on the idea of buying used gear (helmets, gloves or boots) unless I know 100% the person it came from. These are just my opinions but if you take a go at it I wish you all the luck and I like Tiffany's name suggestion "2nd Gear"
Squirrel669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #37
MCgixxer
stunter in training

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600
2003 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to MCgixxer
i think it would be awesome to have something like that. ive bought used gear and will continue to do so to support my hobby being that im on a budget
MCgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #38
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

i especially like your "friend/girlfriend" angle. There have been many times that i want to go two up and need a special piece (be it winter gauntlets, summer mesh) for the pillion and dont want to throw down the cold hard cash for a new piece of merchandise.

also the above poster who said to combine niche's (with oil changes, and new gear) also has a point.

even if the service is very limited (oil changes, or brakes + oil changes) non-technical work adds a facet to your business that add's to its overall potential.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #39
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Quote:
By the time you bought a used product, had it cleaned (cleaning leathers isn't cheap) you could have bought a brand new set practically. I am not to keen on the idea of buying used gear (helmets, gloves or boots) unless I know 100% the person it came from. These are just my opinions but if you take a go at it I wish you all the luck and I like Tiffany's name suggestion "2nd Gear"

just like any transaction with an individual or corporation, a bit of unease is always your main concern when going into the first deal (or in my case every transaction). its important in the OP's case to put those kinds of things into consideration and to most definitely build a rapport with his customer base, would you feel so concerned about buying a set of chaps from him if you knew he was an adept leatherworker or atleast took the time to educate himself on how to properly clean the chaps and do the proper repair work to the pants?
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #40
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

you may want to build a very basic website of photos for the stuff you have in the store. This might be a hassle to update but will give you exposure to people that look for stuff they need.
It would be like ebay but better because you can find something you like online, call to see if it is still available, drop by and inspect the real condition of the gear and if you like it then buy it.
This would give you a clear advantage over eBay.
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement