MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
MrBoom

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
A Bike: 2013 RSV4 R
B Bike: 2010 RSV4 Factory
PPIHC A Bike: 2007 SXV 550
PPIHC B Bike: 2007 SXV 450

Any one going to Laguna Seca to watch Motogp? Need ticket suggestions.

I decided to take my kids out to watch Laguna Seca Motogp in a few weeks. I've looked at a lot if ticket options and don't know which ones make sense for me with the girlfriend and a 3 and 7 year old. I want to get the best seats I can, but I don't think VIP village at $800 for the Sunday race makes sense for a 7 yo. The Mazda raceway offers catered tents and reserved grandstand seating from $350 to $400 for the three days and my daughter would only be $90. Sounds like a better deal for sure, but I don't want to miss getting the mist out of my trip. I'd really love to walk pit lane, but don't know if there is a way to get a tour without buying the VIP village tickets. My daughter has a crush on Nicky Hayden. It would be great if she could at least see him in the pits or paddock.

Just looking for suggestions from people who have been there.
MrBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MotoGP Laguna Seca Viewing! sunday_rider Events, Meets and Rides 17 07-22-2013 02:52 AM
MotoGP Race - Laguna Seca SBK Pilot Taking it to the Track 130 07-23-2008 07:29 PM
laguna seca motogp Somebody1010 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 07-16-2007 12:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
MrBoom

Bike(s):

Has anyone been to the Ducati Island and was it a good experience?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I went to Laguna last year. It was very fun.

I went with my wife and we had different plans so we didn't make it the full weekend, only on Sunday.

We bought a parking spot, turn 4 tickets, paddock pass & the magazine, I believe. With the paddock passes, we entered all the manufacturer's area, including Ducati Island.

The event was very fun, I personally enjoyed the Daytona Superbike Race more than the others. Bring earplugs for your son and you, those GP bikes are loud.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Experience: 10+ years

i really enjoy sitting on the Hill and under the trees from the Corkscrew to Rainey, and then the next turn after. On that Hill (Between Rainey and next turn) you can see almost the entire track.

Bring comfortable shoes, it's a lot of walking.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
LadyDuc

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'96 Ducati 900 SS SP
'99 Ducati 750 SS sold
'89 Honda NT650 GT Hawk sold
'94 Suzuki Katana 750 sold
Not a bike but almost as fun; '05 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoom View Post
Has anyone been to the Ducati Island and was it a good experience?
I go to Ducati Island at all GP events, they have fantastic hospitality, great bike parking (close to the track) free bottled water, breakfast, afternoon snacks and shade on those blistering hot days. You can even get your hands on some pretty cool memorabilia (free), discounts at some of the Ducati vendors and a there are a lot of scheduled events (autograph sessions, bike shows etc.)

Don't forget your camera, they always have fashion shows and the models are smokin' Hot!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
FunkierMoto46

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR-600

I attend each year, and I'll have to agree with the poster above. Some of the best spots to watch the racers are on the hills looking towards the corkscrew, after a few years we stopped watching from the grandstands. Gives the kids some room to do a little running around too Keep in mind that the pitwalk is limited and usually for a short time in the morning during non-race day. MotoGP does have much more of a "business" type feel to it, so it's super hard to catch riders in the paddock but not impossible! Keep an ear out for possible Meet and Greets.
FunkierMoto46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
AKA

Experience: 2 years

been a while since i was there as i was stationed at ft ord in 89-92 which laguna seca is in east garrison.... we always watched from the hills too the view was great take earplugs and binoculars, you might want to take some light jackets as it can get cool around there.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I've gone every year since 2005. We are hooked in with a group from Ducati.net (the big list) run by Vicki Smith. There is a group that all stay at a place called the "Hill House" at Los Laureles Lodge. Good group of Ducatisti, with two home brewers that bring some tasty beer. Each year, we have a dinner every Friday that is open to others (small fee). This year it was changed as there is a Ducati dinner on Cannery Row on Friday instead, so it (Hill House Dinner) is changed to Saturday now. If you are interested, let me know and I will PM you details. I think it is $15 for Sat night. Usually some cool older bikes (and older Duc racers) there.

We used to get Flagroom tickets which were nice, but there is no reserved seating, it is a bit of a free for all to get near the good track viewing area. The good thing is all the beer, wine and food is covered while you are in there. It's worth the extra if you eat and drink while there.

We have had turn three elevated "suite" seats for the last three or four years. Same set up with all inclusive food and drinks, and reserved seating. You get a magazine, pit passes, etc to go just about everywhere you want. Well worth the money. These are my favorite seats as the view is perfect and you have TV's to watch right above your table.

Walking around, make sure and go to the Corkscrew, have a beer and watch for a while. Absolutely amazing. The TV doesn't do it justice.

Take earplugs for the little ones, even as an adult, most wear them when the GP bikes get going, you willnot believe how loud they are in person.

When you go to Ducati Island, take a Duc key or insurance card (proof of ownership) to get into the freebie tent.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):

General admition is probably the best way to go. Especially if you have access to Ducati Island anyway. Walking around the track you'll want to see all the different turns etc. Be sureto get a paddock pass. You may have to stay at a near by city like Ghilroy et by now.

www.track-junkie.com
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
MrBoom

Bike(s):

Grabbed Flag Room tickets. Between that and going to Ducati Island, we should be good to go. We'll use this as a recon year and make plans earlier for next year. When Motogp comes to Austin, it will be much more convenient.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):

Flag Room is not a bad deal. Good food & you get drinks and a event program along with it.

www.track-junkie.com
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Getting close to the action isn't impossible with general admission tickets. I didn't run into any of the motogp pilots this trip (2009), but I did run into a lot of AMA guys for pics. If we wanted to, I suppose that we could have, but we were more interested in partying with the other people on the top of the hill.

This is what a crappy point and shoot camera can snap pics of all day long in the corkscrew. Pictures don't do it justice. It's well worth the walk up there to see laps being turned.

Me and the Ben Boz...the hill to the corkscrew over our shoulder. This is in the general admission area.
DSC03428 1

My wife and Ben, after he took fifth in the suberbike race. He finished first earlier in the Daytona supersport race. This was in the pits.

My wife with Hayse in the pit area after he beat his team mate our for fourth

Sometimes, if you walk around unknowingly, you end up behind the scenes and meet people. Somehow I was inside the Kawi tent. Here is Jason Britton. I could have sat down next to one of the Hayden brothers on the stools behind to sign posters. Think anyone would have known better?

If you stick around long enough and catch one of the last buses out, you can see the track get tore down. They do offer a chance to walk across the track several times during the day as well for photo opportunities.
DSC03484 1

I hope some of these help, and not considered a hijack. In return, make sure you take a bunch of pics!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
MrBoom

Bike(s):

Very cool photos.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
bump this ... so who all is going

I might look for some last minute tickets. It would be cool to kick it with some MH ppl

stanton you still going ?
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I drove by the track yesterday, they had some 4 wheel toys going around...

I might drive back up there.... hummm time to look for tickets.

EDIT: If I get the job i'm interviewing for on Friday, I will be there!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

martin ... lmk what you see / get. I might get them as well
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #17
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
martin ... lmk what you see / get. I might get them as well
BTW we could split the cost of the hotel and no need to worry about renting a car, I have mine here.

here is what I've found so far:

http://moto.gptickets.com/index.asp?..._COM_RACES_USA
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #18
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Member Garage

Sweet.

I don't know up from down when it comes to the tickets as far as seating goes. the pictures cliff posted looked pretty ballin
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #19
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

He'll tell us in the morning.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Last edited by hotnanas; 07-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Advertisement