Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Angry No Juice!!!

So I'm rollin down the road - got my girl at my side. Nice evening ride out to play some softball, no big deal. As I lean into a nice turn and roll on the throttle, suddenly - SILENCE. WTH?? No guages... no lights... no tach... it was like someone hit me with my own personal EMP. So I coast into a handy parking lot and pop the seats. Start looking for the obvious - blown fuses, burnt wires, loose connections... everything looks fine. There's a guy working on the building I ended up in front of who happens to have a volt meter - battery is sitting at 13.3v and the connections are tight. ground is tight. I'm near Grinchy's pad, so I ring him on the phone and he shows up and we start pullin on wires, looking at every fuse, searching for any clue... Everything looks as it should.

I get Scott from Motorcycles Unlimited on the phone and he verifies the location of the main fuse and leads me up towards the ignition switch. (This dude's knowledge of a wide variety of bikes is impressive - especially off the top of his head!) Between Mike and I pullin on wires, I see the neutral and oil pressure lights flicker. Getting close....

I reach up behind the ignition switch housing and bingo. Shove the wire bundle closer to the switch housing and lights come on. Pull it away and they're off. So it looks like wires up in the switch have either chaffed through or unsoldered themselves. (From reading on the ZX Forums, this is not uncommon) So the question now is do I try to improve what I have or attempt the switch replacement (which the factory has gone to great lengths to keep from being a simple task).

Just want to say a big thanks to Mike (Grinchy) for dropping everything and coming driving out to help me on the side of the road.

Also - thanks Scott for leading me to the problem over the cell phone. Amazing. I would have thought you were sitting there reading from the maintenance manual.

Glad this didn't happen a few days ago while Leah and I were out on the 3 Sisters. It was only 108 degrees!
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
StarBucks & Jamba Juice TheChosenOne General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 02-21-2010 12:39 PM
Juice Pyrofallout Off Topic 11 02-09-2009 01:52 PM
Juice.... KMFT Stunters Lounge 54 11-26-2007 05:44 PM
JUICE spotting.... 50cc chick Off Topic 17 06-14-2007 02:02 PM
stunt juice? 1badzx12r General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-08-2007 03:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

Had a similar experience on my CL125 back when I first started riding. Hit a nasty bump on a trail and everything just died. Pushed it all the way home because I was a kid and didn't know how to fix it.
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Nicely written, Glad I was able to help! Sound like a new key switch is in youre future. We probably have one off of that ninja 500, if it would fit. Glad to hear it happened at a somewhat ' convenient' area.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

I wonder if the high charging volts have anything to do with the connection failure at the switch. It would suck to replace it and have the new one fail for the same reason.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
Track_Graphics

Just happened with my son about 2 hours ago- like 9:30 Wed. night. We messed up a relay when we were re-bundling the wires and had to get a new one. He plugged it in and away he went. About 9:30 on the way home . . . . . . .shhhhhhh - no gages or anything. Starter runs, brake lightes work, exactly the same thing. Seems like the ignition relay is TU again. Don't know what's causing it to do this. David (1HEALTHY750) let me borrow his truck and go pick it up. Thanks David. I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS so I can sympathize when you're sitting on the side of the road. I get foot stompin frustrated.
Track_Graphics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 10+

I had the same problem with a Dnepr ignition switch.... of corse it was made by drunken Ukranians so upgrade was 100% better then "factory"....

cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
whiz kid

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr
2005 r6 (SOLD)

I had a similar incident once. 1st day learning to ride b4 I too the MSF course.

Riding down my street the bike suddenly lost power, I'm coasting down the street revving the throttle trying to get it to do something. In my head I'm thinking WTF I just bought this thing.
Pulled onto the sidewalk to check it out.................... I had accidentally bumped the kill switch
whiz kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement