MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #61
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

got her email response:

"Oh, I don't know - this sounds like a setup by a motorcycler! As I stated in my follow-up column, I've probably done all I'm going to do on this one, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

My follow-up column: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/citylink...,2043379.story
"
DepPravacion is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'll see ur English Pup & i'll raise u my mutt BMoreno Off Topic 33 05-05-2008 08:26 PM
How does this happen? dbuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 02-13-2008 06:12 PM
ya'll can hate on france all ya'll want. paniro187 Off Topic 26 11-10-2005 06:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #62
Snow
Can I kick it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Though we were supposed to be, no we are not. And what's worse, is the people are not only ok with giving up their freedoms, but they're excited to watch them go, and a lot of times just because "it won't affect me".
Problem arises, just as they did with seat belts:

You hit someone head on and they get ejected because they chose not to wear a seat belt. Now it is manslaughter.

Someone hits a motorcyclist without a helmet... and the guy dies when he otherwise would have lived. Manslaughter.

Fixing that is pretty difficult, as it is a gray area. It could be argued that helmet-less guy would have been perfectly fine if it wasn't for idiot hitting him.

Same problem came up with seat belts, and the way around it was to require seat belts to be worn.

You will never be able to argue against the logic stating that Helmet-less Badass would have made it home from Hooters safely had it not been for someone turning in front of him.... but if you make a law saying you MUST wear a helmet, then it is much easier to take manslaughter off the table.

Then again, I am not a lawyer... so maybe one could chime in. That's what my understanding of the seat belt law is though.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #63
cychotic
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #64
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
got her email response:

"Oh, I don't know - this sounds like a setup by a motorcycler! As I stated in my follow-up column, I've probably done all I'm going to do on this one, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

My follow-up column: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/citylink...,2043379.story
"
Quote:
1. I am not a journalist or reporter writing a story.
Yea, no
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #65
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
For arguments sake (using the scale I provided), let's say I am correct that we are currently 17 on the scale. By passing a mandatory helmet law, wouldn't that move the scare to 16? What if the ATGATT crowd was able to get legislation passed mandating even more gear to ride a motorcycle, wouldn't that move the scale again to 15? Let's not forget about HB 2470, what if something like that were to pass, wouldn't that move it a couple of notches again to 13? Then you have the tiered crowd, allowing only certain cc motorcycles at certain stages in ones life, now we're down to 11 on the scale. We're near half way to a total ban on motorcycles. And it was all done in little increments. One would say, mandatory helmets don't lead to a ban on motorcycles. And it doesn't, not by itself. But each little liberty that is taken away, takes you one step closer to total government involvement.
Yeah, but then you have retards who won't be happy til the government is holding their hand every step of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Problem arises, just as they did with seat belts:

You hit someone head on and they get ejected because they chose not to wear a seat belt. Now it is manslaughter.

Someone hits a motorcyclist without a helmet... and the guy dies when he otherwise would have lived. Manslaughter.
I've never heard of this happening before, but that's a simple fix too. It's not your fault he didn't wear his seat belt, so why would you be charged with manslaughter? Failure to maintain control of your vehicle or to yield right of way maybe, but that's about it.

Quote:
Fixing that is pretty difficult, as it is a gray area. It could be argued that helmet-less guy would have been perfectly fine if it wasn't for idiot hitting him.

Same problem came up with seat belts, and the way around it was to require seat belts to be worn.

You will never be able to argue against the logic stating that Helmet-less Badass would have made it home from Hooters safely had it not been for someone turning in front of him.... but if you make a law saying you MUST wear a helmet, then it is much easier to take manslaughter off the table.
You really can't, because it's not a logical statement. You can say he wouldn't have crashed at that moment, but there are literally infinite possibilities as to other ways he could have crashed on his way home, so you can't argue that he definitely would have made it home safe. If he died of massive head trauma that could have been prevented by a helmet, well, he knew the risks, made his choice, and paid the consequences of it.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #66
DepPravacion
The Re-Incarnate

Bike(s):
2005 CBR 600RR

well i did get a chance to email that woman a few times, she responded fairly quickly.

there really is nothing to worry about with her i believe, shes just an emo hipster.
DepPravacion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #67
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepPravacion View Post
well i did get a chance to email that woman a few times, she responded fairly quickly.

there really is nothing to worry about with her i believe, shes just an emo hipster.
Maybe not with her, but you know there are others out there that share the same beliefs. Others that just might have some real influence.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #68
VDM

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2007 (Sold)
Yamaha Midnight Warrior 2009
Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

The author of the text on the 1st page is an idiot. Big- idiot for sure!
VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #69
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
It's mentalities like this that leads to loss of freedoms for all of us. Someone else that thinks they know what is best for another human being and pushing their agenda upon others.
my blood boiled as I read that rant.
Our freedoms are at risk by people like that.
Lot of false info & scare tatics .
Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #70
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

"Ironic"

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/ny-motorc...143217859.html

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #71
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
"Ironic"

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/ny-motorc...143217859.html

ONONDAGA, N.Y. (AP) Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.
The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.
State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.
Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
Ironic indeed...and really not helping their cause.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #72
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
Ironic indeed...and really not helping their cause.
He ruined everybody's fun
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement