MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #41
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Nope it's case saver, or cage, not both.

I guess I don't understand whey when someone does what the OP did to pass, everyone seems to think a life threatening response from the cager is justified. Ya'll are nutty.

IMHO, the truck broke the law first with his asshat move of failing to yield the left lane. In uhhmericuh amost uhhmericuhns have no idea the left lane is only for passing. If they taught that in driving school we'd all get along better.

So, if you're in the left lane, and someone is on your , move right and wave to say you're sorry. Otherwise, expect to get with a little.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cager v Biker.... HMFIC General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-29-2015 09:53 AM
The Cager List Bart General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-04-2011 01:41 AM
Ever been chased by a cager? Bizzach General Discussion (Moto Related) 107 12-10-2008 11:05 PM
this is a must see for any cager.. rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 02-02-2006 07:57 PM
Cager Squid????????????????????????????/ FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-27-2005 12:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #42
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Me thinks those who have folks attempt to kill them on bikes are riding like morons. Even then... I have done my fair share of moronic riding but I don't think anybody has ever tried to kill me ON PURPOSE. Maybe once in 17 years of riding but it was more of him shaking his fist at me...

I would call Mythbusters and see if they can bust this theory...
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #43
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

the people thinking the guy in the truck had some sort of good reason to do what he did (if it was done on purpose) need to have your heads checked.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #44
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
me neither. purdy sure in the 10+ years of driving commercially that I would have seen it IF it were to really exist.
My dad taught me this as a child.

It can happen. Especially if the trailer is high with a lot of empty space between it and the ground. As the truck moves by something has to fill the void under the trailer. Air will usually suffice. Unless something else gets caught up in the draft and sucked under along with it. Like an inattentive motorcyclist passing to close to the trailer.

Also about asshats and caters. If you get the license plate no. you can get the name and address attached to the license plate from any number of websites. it will cost around $30 a year for unlimited searches. It's considered a public record. If you know what forms to fill out. You might be able to deal directly with TXdot or DPS and get the info for free.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #45
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
the people thinking the guy in the truck had some sort of good reason to do what he did (if it was done on purpose) need to have your heads checked.
No one is saying the cager was justified in what he did. The consensus is that it was an asshat move to pass on the shoulder. If the OP hadn't passed on the shoulder, the near-miss would never have happened. Not saying the cager shouldn't be drawn and quartered, though. Both were in the wrong.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #46
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
why the do you have a pair of wings over your name?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #47
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

I wounder what racer x would say about this?

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #48
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel!! View Post
I wounder what racer x would say about this?

Probably, "wanna buy my busa?"

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #49
haythamboi600
Engineer.

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr-600 (sold)
07 cbr-RR 600 (sold)
07 R6 (sold)
09 R1

I think lesson learnt is, if you make an asshat cut or over take. do it fast and not let him catch on to it.
haythamboi600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #50
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

no I think a better lesson is plan further ahead while on the street.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #51
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
My dad taught me this as a child.

It can happen. Especially if the trailer is high with a lot of empty space between it and the ground. As the truck moves by something has to fill the void under the trailer. Air will usually suffice. Unless something else gets caught up in the draft and sucked under along with it. Like an inattentive motorcyclist passing to close to the trailer.
hate to tell you bud. but your dad was wrong. that does not happen. yes I have driven 18 wheelers otr. the best I could ever hope for as far as suction would be to pull a troopers hat off his head. the ONLY time truck drivers have to worry about suction is when 2 trucks are side by side and create a low area of pressure between them and they will try to come together. there is no force powerful enough to suck in a motorcycle. and before you argue you ridiculous point, I suggest you google and educate yourself.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #52
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Sounds to me like the truck was trying to block the motorcyclist from using the shoulder as his own personal lane, but executed it too slowly resulting in a squeeze.

move on both parties. I won't lie: I drive an F250, and I've been known to cover half the shoulder with my truck to prevent asshats (mostly cars) from doing similar in traffic jams as well.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #53
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
I think the OP just learned a lesson in street survival: If you're ever going to make an asshat move, make it quick. Don't give the cager a chance to get you.
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #54
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by haythamboi600 View Post
I think lesson learnt is, if you make an asshat cut or over take. do it fast and not let him catch on to it.
+1. I think you made the move just a little

Too soon, junior!
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #55
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Ultimately, you put yourself in that situation. The cager was a piece of for almost causing you to go down, but you put yourself in the that potential for danger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #56
Abear
Do it to it!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 Kawi ZX6R

Same kind of thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, except I was doing nothing wrong besides maybe speeding, and by speeding I mean fast than the speed limit at 80ish. Just going the flow of traffic.

Was riding in the left lane and my exit was coming up, so I started to make my way over. Now, know this is all taking place at around 1130ish at night, so I-10 is basically empty. Anyway, in the left lane in front of me for maybe a mile was a blue impala or malibu, not sure which, didnt pay much attention at the moment. So after I start to move over, I turn and wave to my friend that had been riding me and I go to the right lane, blinker on the whole time, no other cars. I look in my mirrors and dont see my friends lights, so I turn around and make sure hes ok and cant see him...all the sudden that blue car comes zooming up behind me, in my lane and cuts over at the last second almost clipping my rear tire. I didnt think much of it at the time, just figured he didnt see me till it was almost too late...cagers right? So after he is passed me, I finally see my friend, see hes ok, and take my exit. The blue car is in front of me now, far right lane, I exit and as Im cruising along, he starts to exit...as Im right next to him, he would have hit me had I not sped up. At this point, Im like, WTF!?!. So I turn around and give him a kinda of "get back" motion with my hand(no, not the finger..yet). He didnt like that, so he speeds up and almost hits me from behind, lol. There was so much going through my head at that point, hes threating my life, and as far as I know, Ive done nothing wrong. Oh well, I turn around, flip him off, drop to second and burn off. Didnt go straight home incase he saw which way I was going, lol.

I asked my friend the next day at work if we had done something to the guy off, and he said no. We were just cruising. He saw it all happen and was just like..wtf? I told him I didnt know. He said that when he was next to the guy it looked like he was in some sort of uniform..coulda been a cop. I think if that was a cop, he needs to have his badge taken away and fired. Not sure if it was a cop though, he couldnt tell. Seriously though, cagers are just out to get us, I knew it before, but I definitely know it now and I watch my even more.

Be safe out there ladies and gents, Houston dont play around with its bad/angry drivers.
Abear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #57
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Lol, a semi won't make enough suction under the trailer to pull in a bike without a giant Hoover underneath.

I played lane gaurdian in Houston a lot - blocking shoulders and exit lanes from , but wouldn't do it to a biker, ever. I've had a couple instances where car drivers took the law into their own hands when I was on the bike and they paid both times.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #58
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
I read only IT's instal post a few others after it. So I'm not sure if it was started already, ...most stupid pulled today is usually because of a cater on the phone, with a similar escape plan, as you did. Except he probably never saw you.

I saw a biker waddling up to the full service toll both, the car behind him was mere inches off riders back tire. cater was on phone, and more than likely, his existence was probably equal to a parking block. cause everytime the bike moved an inch, so did the driver. closer inspection shown the driver on cellphone.

a rider does not exist as a living being to a cellphone driver. only as "somethin in the way".
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsa View Post
1-That cater was probably just trying to get food to his catering gig.
2-A few months ago the OP crashed (not saying I haven't), just saying to please drive responsibly
3-to answer the OPS original question I have not seen that on my bike yet but will keep an eye out for a white pickup, which should be easy to spot.

Sorry for the slight mis-information. Not used to my non-QWERTY keyboard phone, and auto corrections, (that I cant see the corrections when I type...cause the virtual keyboard takes uo the whole screen)

"IT" is supposed to be OP (original Poster) and "cater" is supposed to be CAGER.. I know I dont always make sense with my posts, but dammit, I get when my phone does it for me
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement