MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Bart
Thread killer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Cager to watch for

OK mostly I just need to vent. Had a white pickup go kamikazi and try to take me out Monday.

Traffic had been just perfect. Everyone was staggered, I'm creeping carefully past everyone without cutting it too close. The "accordion" narrows and I'm boxed in, in the left lane. Three cars up is a big truck in the right lane (lg box truck) and in the left lane is a white pickup staying right beside it - at about 55. The bottleneck is piling up way behind me.

Usually somthing comes along and this type thing resolves itself if you wait it out. After a couple miles I'm finally impatient. I don't care to whiteline, esp near big trucks b/c the draft can suck one under the tires. I check and the shoulder widened out and was free of debris - so I took it. I know, I know; I'm being an asshat - won't deny it.

Right as I'm about to pass the holdup (white pickup) - he dips into the shoulder. I've got less than a foot to go before he would have smashed me right into the concrete wall. He stays one the shoulder, leaving me no room to pass. He inched over for a moment, I dropped a couple gears and scraped past with about a gazillionth of an inch to spare - concrete wall on one side and truck on the other.

==================

I was busy watching my space, not getting a description of the truck. It had something in the back, and looked like a commercial pickup (squared off bed shape, tall metal bumper, thick lining on sides of bed e.g. built-in toolholder.) I didn't see the driver.

Sympathy is nice but not what I'm looking for. I'm just full of questions. Like, is this common? Will years of riding experience yield stories of people deliberately trying to kill people on bikes? What on earth made this guy do this - I mean, is he just some grumpy old fart with a religious passion for doing the speed limit from 1979 who lashed out thoughtlessly, or a punk who holds up traffic just waiting to p*ss someone off and fire back?

Are there any other "known" cagers notorious for this? (Specific vehicle description etc?)

What is the proper response? Tempting though it was, punching out a mirror would have made me a wall smear. If I'd had a camera going and could have gotten a licence tag # (or a company name, if a commercial truck) could I pursue (ahem, "legal") action for attempted vehicular homicide? What kind of sentence would be appropriate if so?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cager v Biker.... HMFIC General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 05-29-2015 09:53 AM
The Cager List Bart General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-04-2011 01:41 AM
Ever been chased by a cager? Bizzach General Discussion (Moto Related) 107 12-10-2008 11:05 PM
this is a must see for any cager.. rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 02-02-2006 07:57 PM
Cager Squid????????????????????????????/ FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-27-2005 12:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

I would like to say he probably isnt stupid enough to hurt you, his goal was likely to "scare"

In that situation, I say have with his wife. Its the only way this will be resolved.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Mr.D

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Have with his wife.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
knee_dragger

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

with his wife works everytime and it's legal!
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 ZX636R

Get used to it. I was chased by a gold Ford Focus on Friday evening because he was in the left lane at the speed limit and I had the audacity to pass him one lane to his right. I didn't flash brights, flip him off, or otherwise act like a jerk; I just passed him- slowly at first, then faster as he accelerated and tried to ram me.

Some guys just take it as a real ego hit if they are passed by another vehicle. It's made worse when that vehicle is a motorcycle; the object that represents everything they wish they were and know they will never be.

Remember: 80% of cagers don't see you, and the other 20% are actively trying to kill you.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Get used to it. I was chased by a gold Ford Focus on Friday evening because he was in the left lane at the speed limit and I had the audacity to pass him one lane to his right. I didn't flash brights, flip him off, or otherwise act like a jerk; I just passed him- slowly at first, then faster as he accelerated and tried to ram me.

Some guys just take it as a real ego hit if they are passed by another vehicle. It's made worse when that vehicle is a motorcycle; the object that represents everything they wish they were and know they will never be.

Remember: 80% of cagers don't see you, and the other 20% are actively trying to kill you.
THIS

and while you're banging his wife, I'll his daughter
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Sumo

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

I think the OP just learned a lesson in street survival: If you're ever going to make an asshat move, make it quick. Don't give the cager a chance to get you.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

no sympathy here. basically what it boils down too is everyone is trying to get down the road... you got impatient and pulled a move which 1. you can be ticketed for. 2. could have picked up nails and all kids of other in your tires. 3. once again, contributed to the bad rep of motorcyclists.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The guy was a , but you shouldn't have made that pass.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
timistim
Server Admínístrator

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
THIS

and while you're banging his wife, I'll his daughter
For crying out loud, his daughter is 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
no sympathy here. basically what it boils down too is everyone is trying to get down the road... you got impatient and pulled a move which 1. you can be ticketed for. 2. could have picked up nails and all kids of other in your tires. 3. once again, contributed to the bad rep of motorcyclists.
He is right, you took a big risk by pinning yourself between a concrete wall and a truck. What it boils down too is you don't know if he was doing it on purpose or if he was just distracted by a phone call, text message, the chick with big on the street etc. Either way be careful out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
+1
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Never heard of anyone getting sucked under a truck by the "draft."

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

i would have done it to. the haters and the cagers.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
Never heard of anyone getting sucked under a truck by the "draft."
me neither. purdy sure in the 10+ years of driving commercially that I would have seen it IF it were to really exist.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
gkcontra

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

have to agree with some others here, asshat moves on both parts. Doesn't make what he did right, but I just wouldn't put myself in that situation.

Saw something simialr to this a few weeks back, coming up 59 from sugarland the highway splits with 3 lanes going on 59 and 3 exiting the beltway, a cruiser was in the right lane to go to the beltway and would have had to wait for 2 cars to the left of him to pass before he could get over to pass an 18 wheeler. Instead of waiting he drops a gear and goes past on the emergency lane, this is coming up over an overpass, luckily the truck just held its speed and lane, it was just totally unnecessary.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
thewingo

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timistim View Post
For crying out loud, his daughter is 5.

What it boils down too is you don't know if he was doing it on purpose or if he was just distracted by a phone call, text message, the chick with big on the street etc. Either way be careful out there.
This could be true even though it was most likely an aggressive move on his part to be a jackass and make a point and ROFL at the daughter being 5 haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
The guy was a , but you shouldn't have made that pass.
+1 traffic runs slow sometimes, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it in a cage. I get very impatient in the same situations. Just enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Number 3!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
I think the OP just learned a lesson in street survival: If you're ever going to make an asshat move, make it quick. Don't give the cager a chance to get you.
+1
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
OK mostly I just need to vent. Had a white pickup go kamikazi and try to take me out Monday.

Traffic had been just perfect. Everyone was staggered, I'm creeping carefully past everyone without cutting it too close. The "accordion" narrows and I'm boxed in, in the left lane. Three cars up is a big truck in the right lane (lg box truck) and in the left lane is a white pickup staying right beside it - at about 55. The bottleneck is piling up way behind me.

Usually somthing comes along and this type thing resolves itself if you wait it out. After a couple miles I'm finally impatient. I don't care to whiteline, esp near big trucks b/c the draft can suck one under the tires. I check and the shoulder widened out and was free of debris - so I took it. I know, I know; I'm being an asshat - won't deny it.

Right as I'm about to pass the holdup (white pickup) - he dips into the shoulder. I've got less than a foot to go before he would have smashed me right into the concrete wall. He stays one the shoulder, leaving me no room to pass. He inched over for a moment, I dropped a couple gears and scraped past with about a gazillionth of an inch to spare - concrete wall on one side and truck on the other.

==================

I was busy watching my space, not getting a description of the truck. It had something in the back, and looked like a commercial pickup (squared off bed shape, tall metal bumper, thick lining on sides of bed e.g. built-in toolholder.) I didn't see the driver.

Sympathy is nice but not what I'm looking for. I'm just full of questions. Like, is this common? Will years of riding experience yield stories of people deliberately trying to kill people on bikes? What on earth made this guy do this - I mean, is he just some grumpy old fart with a religious passion for doing the speed limit from 1979 who lashed out thoughtlessly, or a punk who holds up traffic just waiting to p*ss someone off and fire back?

Are there any other "known" cagers notorious for this? (Specific vehicle description etc?)

What is the proper response? Tempting though it was, punching out a mirror would have made me a wall smear. If I'd had a camera going and could have gotten a licence tag # (or a company name, if a commercial truck) could I pursue (ahem, "legal") action for attempted vehicular homicide? What kind of sentence would be appropriate if so?
same thing happened to me a while back. this city is full of envious ppl, that can not take anything if is not for them,

watch out next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
pester
Black olives matter

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
please explain why it is an asshat move?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
pester
Black olives matter

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6

Member Garage

Quote:
yeah yeah hipocrit like you never do

Quote:
Quote:

Advertisement