MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

All great answers in this thread. www.cmraracing.com is another valuable resource. That's where you'll find the most accurate information. Ridesmarts next licensing school is on July 16th at MSR Cresson.

I started road racing in April of 09. I was 36 when I started. If you soak it all up, really try and have a bit of talent you'll get up to speed pretty quick. Racing is where I really shaved seconds. You can only go so fast at track days and motorcycle schools.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing 250 Endurance questions TheBeeDeeGee Taking it to the Track 6 10-30-2013 01:48 PM
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
questions about racing MX.... houseofpaint Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 22 07-18-2009 07:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

I have been in touch with Walter Walker with the CMRA. It turns out they have an active Deaf racer right now. If any of you guys see this fella at your events... put him in touch with me!!

The CMRA is no stranger to the Deaf so I am feelng very very confident about all of this... I was concerned about meeting the cornerworking duties requirement but Walter assured me... we'd work around that soooo... YEAH!

I did get up to speed fairly decent at MSRH but I definitely need a few more trackdays under my belt before I take the racing course though... I need some proper schooling. Also... I gotta somehow catch babymilo first.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #23
Hi-Side

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

Send a message via AIM to Hi-Side
I started racing at 32 when there were very few track organizations. If you wanted to ride on the track you had to get a race license. Its much easier now and amateurs are much faster now than when I started because by the time they have a race license they've already been on the track for awhile.

What will make you faster ? instruction, seat time and suspension... in that order.

Make sure you have medical insurance. One helicopter ride without it will cost more than your bike, unless you're on an MV Augusta.

Make sure you can afford to throw your bike in the trash can, because that is the risk. I've totaled 2 and blown 2 motors.

Spend the money for decent protective gear. One seam popping open when you're sliding down the track will be both painful and expensive. You are going to crash eventually.

cdill35 is right on about racing making you faster. You will never push yourself or the bike on a track day like you do in a race.

The formula 40 races are usually guys that have been doing this for a very long time. Its generally very clean, but they're also very fast. Most have to work on Monday and have a mortgage to worry about so they're not going to take your front end out over a $5 piece of wood.

Lastly, it is supposed to be fun. When it becomes about chasing a championship, it takes alot of the fun out of it and it becomes alot of work and alot of money.
Hi-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
racer43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Side View Post
I started racing at 32 when there were very few track organizations. If you wanted to ride on the track you had to get a race license. Its much easier now and amateurs are much faster now than when I started because by the time they have a race license they've already been on the track for awhile.

What will make you faster ? instruction, seat time and suspension... in that order.

Make sure you have medical insurance. One helicopter ride without it will cost more than your bike, unless you're on an MV Augusta.

Make sure you can afford to throw your bike in the trash can, because that is the risk. I've totaled 2 and blown 2 motors.

Spend the money for decent protective gear. One seam popping open when you're sliding down the track will be both painful and expensive. You are going to crash eventually.

cdill35 is right on about racing making you faster. You will never push yourself or the bike on a track day like you do in a race.

The formula 40 races are usually guys that have been doing this for a very long time. Its generally very clean, but they're also very fast. Most have to work on Monday and have a mortgage to worry about so they're not going to take your front end out over a $5 piece of wood.

Lastly, it is supposed to be fun. When it becomes about chasing a championship, it takes alot of the fun out of it and it becomes alot of work and alot of money.
Solid information!
Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association (CMRA)
(254) 644-9393
racer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Are there many 'casual' racers? As in, just make the trips when they can...and not really worried about winning a championship or anything like that.

Or do you have to make X amount of races/season or something like that?

I'm not even remotely close to being that fast, but it seems like it might be a natural progression if you continue the 'track day' hobby. Eventually, the next step is to race.

And besides getting the bike set up (suspension and everything else that goes with that) and crashing, what expenses are involved with racing? I'm guessing a set of tires every time you race?

But besides that and travel expenses...what expenses do you guys have?
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
Hi-Side

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

On a "local" race weekend, I would typically spend about $800 between tires, fuel, registration, etc.

On an "away" weekend, if it was close, $1200 or so with a motel, more mileage and food. That does not include something like Daytona which will be easily 3x that much.

When you get faster it also takes the latest equipment to run near the front. My last race bike was ~20k at dealer price for parts and I did most of the work other than dyno tuning myself. You run thru at least a set of tires a weekend assuming 5 sprint races. Run a national and you'll run thru 3 sets of tires, $150 in race fuel and get near nothing back in contingency.

Add the crash or 2 into the equation and it could be $150 or completely totaled. A trip to the hospital or 2 at $500 for an emergency room visit, not including helicopter at ~12k or an ambulance at ~2k, maybe a blown motor at 2k and you'll see its starting to get a bit on the expensive side.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
Hi-Side

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

I raced for championships for several years and won 2, unlimited supersport when I was an amatuer and middleweight supersport as a 6 year expert. After that, i stopped trying to make every single weekend and just decided to do it when i had time and it wouldnt be work. It was alot more fun at that point.

I just started riding again after being completely off for 5 years and its slowly coming back. And the tard is the perfect mix of fun and fast for what I'm looking for now, although I may have to get another 600
Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

holy .

I'll stick with track days...haha.
-Cody
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #29
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
holy .

-Cody
No .....$1k for a race weekend.....I'm with you, I'll stick to the track days.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
holy .

-Cody
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
You can race as expensive or as cheap as you want, but racing in general is little more expensive than TD riding.

Per instance, for a typical weekend at let's say ECR (Near Dallas), you would spend:

*Gas money - depends on your vehicle (same cost as a TD).
*Gate fee - 15 bucks (usually TDs don't have a gate fee).
*Track fee - 165 bucks (see below) vs. ~150 for the TD fee.
*Hotel - The same as a TD, or just camp at the track.
*Meals - Some TD orgs provide lunch, however, for CMRA you need to buy or bring your own food.
*Tires - You don't need to buy tires every race weekend. People that are truly competitive usually do, though. Nevertheless, if you are good, you can win some contingency money to recover some of those fees.

For racing three classes, you would be looking at about 165 USD. That includes 3 practice sessions of about 15 minutes each one. Then three races which would be around 15-20 minutes including the warm up and cool down laps.

Racing and TDs are two different animals, though. As Brandt said, if you want to find the limits of your riding, you are not going to do so by only riding TDs.

In regards to your other question, there are 10 race weekends with the CMRA. You can do as many as you want, as long as you have paid the membership fee.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #31
Hi-Side

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

Well that was on a 600 as an 8 year expert. It can be done for just as much fun and something easier on tires like an SV650 or the ninja 250 is a great platform. Easy on tires, pump gas, and a couple of classes is probably in the $250-300 range assuming every 3rd weekend for tires, instead of every weekend. You dont blow thru tires like that when you first start racing. The rentaninja program is a pretty good deal. An endurance race on the 250 would get you alot of bang for the buck.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Interesting stuff guys!!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #33
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Don't forget to look at TMGP. Easy way to get started, MUCH cheaper, and lots of fun. That is if you just want to "race".

I like track days, although I have been considering getting a CMRA license now that I am forty, just to run when I feel like it. Or as was said earlier "be a casual racer".
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
Kingralphthe3rd

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
r6

Irak is spot on.

My only addition is, well for me, racing killed trackdays and a few bones along the way.
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #35
Kingralphthe3rd

Bike(s):
r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
1k is a reasonable weekend. I've spent well beyond that unfortunately.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #36
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

I spent over $1500 on my trackday with Fastline and then I spent about $750 with Ridesmart at MSRH but I camped out and saved a little money on free leathers and a discounted track fee given to me by CDill (thanks!!). All of my TDs or races would be on the road. I live in Austin. I understand the cost involved and as much as it stings... again, I am at a place in my life where I really want to pursue this.

Championships? Haha... I need to get better. WAY better. Maybe one day I would LOVE to go for a run but really... this is about me wanting to get faster more than anything else. I have always wanted to go fast. Being held up in traffic all day long at MSRH was N-O-T fun. I was like... COME ON !! MOVE!!! Road rage and all... lol. No... not really, I'm just kidding... I have a competitive urge in me yet it is not about winning. I just want to go as fast as I can. I'm not scared to have folks pass me in close proximity nor am I scared to pass them in such. It's about being in control. Hold my line and hope I come out of it okay... adrenaline junkie? Maybe...

No worries, I am fully covered and more... medical wise. It's a very good point to bring up though! It really was not something that I conciously noticed. Probably because it's simply something that I'm ever worried about being covered and all.

There has been some wonderful information in this thread and I thank you all for that. Keep it coming!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #37
Kingralphthe3rd

Bike(s):
r6

Being covered is deff a plus. It deff helped when I had, five broken vertebrae and was bed ridden. Then raced 2 months later and broke my wrist and foot. Which ended up being more than the broken back.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, trust me I heard it all from everyone when I was back on the bike 6 weeks after breaking my back. Just some food for thought.

Racing did give me the motivation to go faster tho. There is no doubt about that. If u look at the race results from last year I finished second to last my first race and at the end of the year finished on the box. Even this year racing with a broken wrist I managed a 5th. I had surgery to fix the wrist so I'veissed a few rounds but hope to be back soon. So don't say never, racing will make you faster and better no doubt. Good luck man hope to see ya on the grid!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #38
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

How do you spend $750 at a track day?

My last ridesmart track day cost me $25 in gas for the bike, $5 in gas for the truck getting the bike there (I live about 8 minutes away), and whatever sandwich stuff we already had. i had corner worked, so the track day was free

so....$35 bucks. haha.

I'd barely spend over $800 going to Barber...and that's if I went by myself and didn't split gas with anyone.

But then again, I'm a huge cheap ...sooooo...
-Cody
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
switch
two fifty

like 999 said, racing kills trackdays. it just isn't the same unless i'm gridded up with bikes revving all around. just the race into turn 1 is enough is super intense, now you gotta keep it up for 8 more laps. that feeling you get, can't explain it, but its totally worth it.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #40
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
How do you spend $750 at a track day?

My last ridesmart track day cost me $25 in gas for the bike, $5 in gas for the truck getting the bike there (I live about 8 minutes away), and whatever sandwich stuff we already had. i had corner worked, so the track day was free

so....$35 bucks. haha.

I'd barely spend over $800 going to Barber...and that's if I went by myself and didn't split gas with anyone.

But then again, I'm a huge cheap ...sooooo...
-Cody
Haha. I live in Austin so trekking it out there is a bit... complicated. Necessities such as a shitload of water and food and power snacks (energy bars or whatever they are). Then you couple that with me RIDING the bike to Houston behind my wife who's driving the van. I don't know why I did that because we have a truck and a trailer but I really wanted to ride... The actual trackday itself was under $100 but everything else just like sneaks up on you but it ALL COUNTS just the same. Especially with bike maintenance. Changing the oil and tires alone kicks you in the gonads pretty quick. My next trackday will be a bit more expensive because I am due for a valve job.

The $1500 that I spent on my first trackday included new tires, removing my extensions, new chain, and a few other things...

Advertisement