MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Racing questions...

Laugh if you will but I gotta know...

Why do you race? It can't be about money... ... it COSTS to race.

1) How does one get started into racing?
2) How old is too old?
3) How difficult is it to obtain a CMRA license?
4) Is CMRA the only roadracing option available out there?

I guess I'm putting out feeler questions as to how to approach my trackday lessons. I have a long long way to go but I know I have talent locked away in me somewhere although I'm old (34). I just never learned how to best utilize my abilities. I'm 100% self-taugh and that's not really good. I like trackdays but I so loved having guys pass me as well as I pass them in turns at MSRH.

I am riding novice at GSS with Fastline and was bumped to level 2 at MSRH with Ride Smart so take that for what it's worth... a mere grand total of two trackdays under my belt is all I have. I wanna swap paint one day. Is this a realistic possibility to pursue or is this left for the elite few? I have always dreamed of going after it.

Will it remain a fantasy or is it possible to become a reality?
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing 250 Endurance questions TheBeeDeeGee Taking it to the Track 6 10-30-2013 01:48 PM
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
questions about racing MX.... houseofpaint Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 22 07-18-2009 07:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Ek

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

I did my first track day at GSS last fall. I just took the CMRA licensing course last month and got my Prov Nov. My first race will be a ECR in Aug. I am 40 years old and am having a blast. I can't wait for my first race. Do I think that I will just show up and blow everyone away, no. Will I have a blast and maybe suprise a few people, I hope so. I love to compete and think that racing is the next logical step for me, Others are happy with track days and have no real drive to race. After my first couple of laps I knew that I was screwed and started looking for a race bike. So take that for what it's worth and I hope to see you on the crid soon.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
I did my first track day at GSS last fall. I just took the CMRA licensing course last month and got my Prov Nov. My first race will be a ECR in Aug. I am 40 years old and am having a blast. I can't wait for my first race. Do I think that I will just show up and blow everyone away, no. Will I have a blast and maybe suprise a few people, I hope so. I love to compete and think that racing is the next logical step for me, Others are happy with track days and have no real drive to race. After my first couple of laps I knew that I was screwed and started looking for a race bike. So take that for what it's worth and I hope to see you on the crid soon.
yeah!!!

I had pretty much given up on that dream until I saw dinosaur pulling down 1:07 laptimes at GSS... it got my juices flowing. I am definitely competitive but I have remained very reserved in my two trackdays. Its good to know that I wouldn't be the "dinosaur" on the track. I was the dinosaur in my college fraternity. I am at the stage in my life where we have saved up a little bit of money and my business is starting to run itself. I want to play but not just throw our savings away on trackdays either...

I picked up a project trackbike last weekend with the hopes of turning it into a racebike.

I hate pipe dreams but dammit... I don't want to give this one up...
Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
AYEELE
Yeah i can get it up

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
08 1000rr
silver 04 r6(stunt)
Black 03 600rr(sold)
White and pink 06 r6

go for your dream, i wish i can do the same. One day.. its too expensive for my lifestyle haha. but i pretty dam sure ill love it.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Ek

Bike(s):
SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

I look forward to seeing you out at the track soon. I will be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with fastline as soon set a date. My advice is to hool up with someone a little faster than you every time you go to the track and learn from them until you can pass them. Then move on up to the next guy. I always learn alot from the guys that pass me. Keep working at it and go racing.
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
StewRat
Hive Investigator

Feedback Rating: (2)

2003 CRF230
2011 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200
2012 Kawasaki KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Laugh if you will but I gotta know...

1) How does one get started into racing?
2) How old is too old?
3) How difficult is it to obtain a CMRA license?
4) Is CMRA the only roadracing option available out there?
1. Take the Licensing school from Ridesmart or Fastline, they will instruct you on all you need to know.

2. No such thing, old guys even have the formula 40 just for them.

3. Easy as taking the class and not crashing during the mock race... all up to your right hand.

4. TMGP is another local option, but I don't know anything about that series. WERA is the next closest road racing association but if money is an object this won't be for you.

Getting in to racing seemed really daunting before my first race earlier this year. It really is easier than it all seems at first, just take the class and get the info.

Dont worry about your times right now, they don't matter anyways, with a full grid in novice super stock a, b, or c the main problem is fighting traffic and the guy next to you for the race line in the next corner. I think the idea is that unless you're one of the select few experts out there getting paid, this is all just for fun so don't take it too seriously.

Also, excluding tires, entry fee's for two races is comparable to a trackday and that includes the 3 warm up sessions.
StewRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
yeah!!!

I had pretty much given up on that dream until I saw dinosaur pulling down 1:07 laptimes at GSS... it got my juices flowing. I am definitely competitive but I have remained very reserved in my two trackdays. Its good to know that I wouldn't be the "dinosaur" on the track. I was the dinosaur in my college fraternity. I am at the stage in my life where we have saved up a little bit of money and my business is starting to run itself. I want to play but not just throw our savings away on trackdays either...

I picked up a project trackbike last weekend with the hopes of turning it into a racebike.

I hate pipe dreams but dammit... I don't want to give this one up...
Don't be hating on the dinosaurs Mike!
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek View Post
I look forward to seeing you out at the track soon. I will be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with fastline as soon set a date. My advice is to hool up with someone a little faster than you every time you go to the track and learn from them until you can pass them. Then move on up to the next guy. I always learn alot from the guys that pass me. Keep working at it and go racing.
Fastline will be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on 8/20.

Seeing Ashley Fiolek tear it up on the motocross... really me off because I should have been the first Deaf racing champion... ... My fault though... alas no more. I'm going for it now... I am prepared to go the extra mile.

I can't wait.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Don't be hating on the dinosaurs Mike!
You don't understand. You're an inspiration to me, old man.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Sent my application in to CMRA for my license, just waiting now, it is the experience, the fun and the friends you make during the journey that does it for me
CMRA #414
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
Gateman

straight !!!

Don't be beat'in on them "Dinosaur's"

I'm 50 and still grid up on that track. Gear yourself up and get out there. TJ.
Gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #12
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
You don't understand. You're an inspiration to me, old man.
I think i am getting the old man complex here on MH
CMRA #414
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
I think i am getting the old man complex here on MH
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

what joe no comment?
CMRA #414
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Most answers I've seen were usually: U know when you are ready to race. I started doing trackdays and eventually wanted to race(prob 9-10 td's), but a lot of stuff came up at the last minute. I took the cmra class and have yet to get my provnov status or race. Ill say this though. Trackdays are a lot of fun, and work. When you go race im sure its just as much fun. If you intend to be competitive (and be in the top points standings) then you will have to devote a big majority of your free time to getting the bike ready, and doing everything you can to attend all the races. Even the tracks that are 7hr drives to get to. A buddy of mine got into it just before I did, and it made me re-evaluated how bad I wanted to race. When I saw how much work, driving, days off of work after the races, etc. That it takes to try and be at every race. I honestly couldnt miss days from work like that (cause I want the money) and my job is also very physical. So being to the point where you are hurting for a few days after races would not be a good thing for me.

So do some more trackdays until the urge to race gets you. The initial cost is thousands though. suspension,warmers,race fairings, paint, side covers, safety wiring, transponder, tires, gear.. It adds up really fast even getting used stuff.

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 06-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

1) How does one get started into racing? You need to take race school. Our local organization is the CMRA - www.cmraracing.com - Basically, all local TD organizations (Fastline, LSTD, Ride Smart, LMS and Elite) offer the racing school. The racing class costs about 75 USD on top of the TD fees.

2) How old is too old? There are people, like Bud Johnson, that started racing pretty late in their life. There is no such thing as too old.

3) How difficult is it to obtain a CMRA license? You need to take the class, pass the written test, complete your two days of corner work and don't crash while you are wearing your prov nov shirt.

4) Is CMRA the only roadracing option available out there? For minis, there is also TMGP. There are also other racing organizations but not local ones. WERA, CCS to name a couple.

That being said, I would advise you do a Friday TD with LSTD prior to a race weekend. That will show you the "pace" that is involved in racing. Just to make sure you are comfortable with the speeds and passing, which can be scary at times, espcially is Tumbleweed in riding that day

Another thing to consider would be to start with a Ninja 250 bike and/or endurance on an SV 650. That will introduce you to the racing world, the costs, etc.

There are plenty of people here that could help you out if you have any more questions. Racer997, Dr. Gonzo, Houseofpain, CDILL35 to name a few.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #17
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Sent my application in to CMRA for my license, just waiting now, it is the experience, the fun and the friends you make during the journey that does it for me
Like you'd remember any of it a week later anyway,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
That being said, I would advise you do a Friday TD with LSTD prior to a race weekend. That will show you the "pace" that is involved in racing. Just to make sure you are comfortable with the speeds and passing, which can be scary at times, espcially is Tumbleweed in riding that day
+1 on this.

LSTD Fridays at TWS (Texas World Speedway) are a blast. Even signed up for the "street" group you will likely have the chance to chase after a few "prov nov" jerseys to see how your pace compares.

Oh and 34 isn't old. I'm 34. I just started riding 2 years ago and had my first TD in Feb of last year. I'm, along with a few friends, are looking into CMRA licensing as well.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #18
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

I am not under any false guises. I fully recognize that I'm a long way from even thinking about attempting to race. I only have two trackdays uder my belt. I wanted to see how to approach my trackday experiences. Gear them towards racing or continue to utilize them to better my street riding skills. 34 to me seemed really old but it sounds like I'm still a young'un and there's plenty of time for me to actually pursue this... for all its worth, I may even suck and this thread will have been all for naught.

Expensive I get but I am surprised at how cheap it is to gain a license. Of course that ultimately depends on how many trackdays I put out before attempting. Completing the two days cornerworking would be an interesting hurdle for me to overcome. I see you guys use walkie-talkies out there and that... simply isn't possible for me. Eh. All in good time. We'll figure that out later. Right now I need to get out there and ride. Like Tim says (loosely translated)... more saddletime and then some more saddletime!

Thanks to all who have posted. If I didn't reply... no worries, I am listening...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Iraq gave very solid answers! I say if you have done track days and enjoy it but want a bit more competitiveness or to push yourself a little bit further then grid up. The cost for a Prov Nov to go out and have fun on a race weekend shouldn't be much more than that of a trackday. Unless you want it to.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

hey nitro, do a couple more TD's and then sign up for the race school, i would like to take the school if i ever get some free time
CMRA #414

Advertisement