MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

A? for those who have went down at high speed?

I just watched the video of Brittany Morrow. And started thinking....

Riding a high performance motor. makes me wondered what it will feel like when I end up getting off at a high rate of speed. And even though I don't really want to find out. I probably will one day, preferably at the track, not on the road.
I've only read one post where someone talked about going down at 120(with gear) and sliding roughly 175 yds. before coming to a stop. And I've only had 1 friend go down at over 100mph with only a helmet on. He lost nearly half of one pectorial muscle.

So here's my ???'s What started going thru your mind the instant you figured out that it all had gone wrong? And what were you thinking as you were sliding/flip/flopping along wishing you weren't? What actually happened that caused you to go down?

If you have previously posted your experience. Posting a link to the thread should do the trick to answering most of my ????

The fastest I've gotten off in previous dirtbike crashes was around 50mph or so. When the speeds are low like that it's all over before you really realize what in the is happening,(except that one time) but at the speeds these bikes will reach I'll have alot more time to think about it while it's happening.

Even though I've received much worse injuries in other crashes. This is my only experience where I can remember having time to think......aw .........
........I was on my 87 Honda 250R 4-wheeler. I got off the gas(from wide open)and hard on the brakes just as I was crossing my flat track. The banking along with the shift in momentum caused me to do a stoppie. Before I knew what a stoppie was. The only problem came when I used up all the 75 feet or so that I had between me and my house. It was the most violent stop I've ever experienced. Since I had absolutely no gear on. Not even a helmet. To this day I still thank for being along for the ride. After all it was on his birthday 12-25-1996. His grace is the only way I walked away.

But back to what I was thinking... I had just enough time to think...............

"AW , Man this is going to hurt. The only question is. How much?"

Didn't have to what long though to find out the answer to that. From the point of 1st glancing impact. I came to a complete stop in less than 15'. First the right front tire of the 4 wheeler was jammed all the way from the passenger side to drivers side under the rear bumper of my car. Which caused it to turn the 4wheeler sideways and start it on an upward trajectory. Then the direct hit on the porch. Where I came off and went thru the hand railing before finally slamming into the side of my house upside down and about 4 feet over the deck of my porch. Right next to the all glass front door. The 4 wheeler bounced off the porch and flew another 15 ' or so off in another direction. My neighbors(and all their visiting relatives) said they watched the 4wheeler fly higher than my car while doing a 360 degree spin in the air. Before coming to rest out of sight behind it.
Other collateral damage,
Car bumper-minimal since only the right front tire jammed under it as I flew by the rear of the car.
5'X8' Porch- my body took out 3-2X4's(hand railing)- the 4 wheeler caused major damage, including a new TV antenna which got snapped in half about half way up the pole. And came crashing down in between my car and porch.
House-to this day it still bears scares on the outside from the porch slamming it. On the inside I had to clean up the glass from the pic frames that were knocked off 2 different walls.
The 4wheeler- suffered a flat front tire from being jammed under the car. And the left rear rim had got bent from being slammed into the porch.
Me- I suffered minor lower back injury and had to take a leave of absence to heal up. All-in-all the damage was extremely minimal compared to the velocity and violent nature of the impact. I still think, if any one of a few things had happened differently. I could have easily died or seriously and permanently injured that day.

Thank , for giving me 1 more chance.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High speed chase Schmidie Off Topic 14 03-15-2013 08:46 PM
I see your high speed cornering and raise you a low speed corner... Hi-Side General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 07-22-2011 07:56 PM
high speed crash TWISTED METAL General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-19-2006 01:37 PM
high speed friday wheelieboy929 Events, Meets and Rides 44 09-10-2005 03:09 PM
top speed run and high speed wheelies. CBR 1000 CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-19-2005 10:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

when i went down on a back road.....while sliding all i could think about was " im down.......does he see im down (my friend in front of me) then it went from that to...." omg i hope my bike isnt goin to be to bad ( as i was watching is slide in front of me) soon as i came to a stop i was tryin to get to my bike to check it but my knees said NO sit ur down.....

the sounds of concrete on your helmet.....its crazy. i kept having those dreams that feel like your falling after that happened.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I went down on turn 2 going about 90 or so. I rememeber thinking, aw this is gonna hurt cause of the speed. It was so violent.

At one point I thought I had stopped and put my arms out to lift myself up only to ralize I was just flipping up in the air only to come down again and keep on flopping til I stopped.

Helmet, . Chunks gouged out of it. Gauntlet gloves were melted at the wrists. Thats why I wear long gloves. Not an inch of my leathers were not scratched.

Concussion and a dislocated ankle was what I got.

The main thing I remember was being in the air up side down and looking at my bike as it flipped. Then incredibly violent flipping and tossing, trying to get up and sitting up watching people turning on turn 2.

The ambulance guys hauled over to me cause they thought I was . Luckily I walked, more like limped away. My wife saw the whole thing, too and it was her first time at the track.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

In my high side it was only at 45-50 mph but all I know is that it is weird seeing the ground coming at you very very quickly. My shoulder took the brunt of the fall the rest of the impact was taken by my feet which were for like a month.

I was dazed for what seemed like an hour, couldnt get up... couldnt see straight.
It sucked since it occured in victoria, so once the bike was serviceabl I was back on and heading home to houston. (riding in traffic with a hurt shoulder and feet blow when you have to stop every few minutes.)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

,I hope I dont go under the Armco,where is that car at?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Went down at about 85mph once, only gear I had on was a helmet. As I was sliding, I used my helmet to lift my body off the ground as much as possible in order to minimize road rash. I went down in traffic, so the main thought going through my mind while sliding was that I need to come to a stop so I can get out of the road before I get ran over. That's exactly what I did, came to a stop, jumped up to see where the cars where and got the heck out of the way. Cause of the wreck was being sideswiped by a truck. Car in front of him slammed on the brakes and he jerked the wheel to the left to avoid the car just as I was passing him. I had that "Aw , I'm going down" moment right before it happened.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Been down twice at 80+; luckily both times were back roads so I spent minimal time on the pavement.

Both times were my fault, not paying attention to what the bikes were telling me.

Bottom line is when it happens, all the thoughts and planning are out the window, and you are at the mercy of the ground, your gear, and your own physical health.

Both times it was slow motion and I can remember it second by second it seems

Also had another street bike crash at 50 or so, plus multiple dirt bike crashes at 50-60..

Worst time ever going down on a bike was when a YZ490 decided to go into tank slappers in 3rd, spit me off over the bars, endoed and landed the rear knobby on my chest, still stuck at WOT. The bike died and fell on me, pipe burnt my forearm.. I have the scars but no memory of that one.. lost 2.5 days due to concussion.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

All that goes through my mind is, "Mother fkr. How much is this going to cost"?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

All that goes through my mind is, "Mother fkr! What am I gonna fk up this time / How long will I take to fkn heal ?!?!? "

Crashed on the exit of t7 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) - on the gas going up the hill - was prob doing 130-135ish...

my turn 7 exit speed for reference...

Wear your gear... that is all...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
All that goes through my mind is, "Mother fkr! What am I gonna fk up this time / How long will I take to fkn heal ?!?!? "

Crashed on the exit of t7 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) - on the gas going up the hill - was prob doing 130-135ish...

Viddler.com - 06-20-10 TWS (Texas World Speedway) - Uploaded by hman

At what time dose the crash happen?
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
At what time dose the crash happen?
No . I got tired of watching.

I had a decent crash last year. All I remember thinking was "This is going to hurt".

It did.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

It was a reference for how fast he comes out of that turn... not a vid of the crash.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Well that's no fun.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:

Turn 7 is my favorite turn, have had a few times when the rear stepped out probably from the suspension bottoming out. I always thought it would really suck to go down on that turn. That uphill gets into people's heads a lot cause you cant see .

I love how so many guys go into 7 all gung-ho only to park it coming up the hill.

Last time i was at the track was when the guy with the R1 almost clipped me on his way off coming into it. I never saw somebody and a bike fly so high and so far. He required a hip replacement.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

60+ it was in slow motion. I said outloud this is going to hurt. then bam lights out. rude bystanders woke me up about 10 minutes later... bastards I was sleeping well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Last crash I had was turn 9. Was following someone with number plates on a race bike and race suspension on my stock suspension. We were cooking around turn 9. I remeber seeing his rear slide. I was slightly off line and I knew I was going to go down.You cant be off line too much on that turn, ask anyone that has gone down there.

I was dragging everything one second and then I was REALLY dragging everything the next.

I had just been warned by one of the Ridesmart guys that I should slow down and invest on a rear shock and maybe fork emulators cause it kept pushing the faster I went. Testosterone would have none of that.

Smoothest crash ever. Didnt even scratch my gloves or helmet. I slid on my and hit the dirt and it sat me up and I hopped on my feet.

I DO remember thinking, I am sure glad they took that wall out as I was sliding but I ended up sliding more with the track direction than the dirt so I did most of the sliding on the asphalt. I am glad I wasnt wearing cheap CG leathers.

That was the fastest I ever went on a track, never again unless I upgrade the suspension.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
All that goes through my mind is, "Mother fkr. How much is this going to cost"?
+200000 million
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
,I hope I dont go under the Armco,where is that car at? YouTube - ‪Bike Crash at Lonestar Motorsports Park 3/6/10‬‏
was that you???
what happened?? can see you sought of sit up, twist throttle then down............ did it lock up??

Quote:

i saw the aftermath, your elbow was the size of a balloon and that kawa was torn up good .............................
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Mr.D

Bike(s):
ZZR 600
2007 GSXR 600
VFR 800
Honda Stunt 50

The question you're asking is what normal people would think. When you wreck... All that goes out the window. I've been down 4 times.

Only one of them put me in the hospital. No gear. The sound of your helmet sliding on concrete doesn't really ever leave lol.

Like april said you feel like you're falling all the time. The ride home from the hospital had me so very up. I thought every car on 1960 was going to hit us.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
,I hope I dont go under the Armco,where is that car at? YouTube - ‪Bike Crash at Lonestar Motorsports Park 3/6/10‬‏
oh !!!!!!!!!

Advertisement