MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Question Bridgestone R10? good? bad?

Too the fellow TD riders.

was speaking to Slim8 about his B-stone R10's that he was running at MSRH this weekend.

anyone else tried this tire yet? if so.....

1) hows it feel??
2) was it good?
3) how much did they cost?
4) how do they compare to other tires youve used?
5) what kind of hot/cold pressures were you running on them?

-B
Bridgestone R10 Review! S.D.W. How To's and Q & A's 2 09-03-2012 05:12 PM
good day goes bad ely2000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 10-13-2010 11:50 PM
The good, The bad, and The ugly DMC General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-30-2009 07:05 PM
ABS good or bad? RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 03-26-2009 05:03 PM
a good or bad decision??? HELP!! sbfuller Off Topic 72 04-15-2008 09:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

They seem pretty new, I would contact the local representative: John at South Central Race Center (http://www.scracecenter.com/Contacts.html) and see what he has to say.\

here is what came up when i googled them:

Click to View Search Results for bridgestone r10 - Google Search bridgestone r10 - Google Search
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
They seem pretty new, I would contact the local representative: John at South Central Race Center

here is what came up when i googled them:
]
yeah, i read some of those same reviews when i googled the tire. but i wanted to get a local perspective (local tracks, texas weather, etc).
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
yeah, i read some of those same reviews when i googled the tire. but i wanted to get a local perspective (local tracks, texas weather, etc).
That's why I'd contact John. He carries a couple of brands and can help you figure out if that tire is well suited for TX, along with what settings to run them at. Patrick should also have some input on the matter, so PM him and see what he says.

Or.... you could buy a set and tell us how they felt.

Man, it's been awhile since I've been on the rack. The last tires I tried were the 003's.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

heard good things about the the new b-stones (the new race tire right?). wish i had the cash to try them out.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=179787

There is a link in that thread to a Wera forum thread. The reviews seem pretty positive. Does anyone know how much are the selling for?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=179787

There is a link in that thread to a Wera forum thread. The reviews seem pretty positive. Does anyone know how much are the selling for?

price would be a good thing.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
slim8

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
1986 GS project

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=283615

There is the WERA thread that pushed me to get them. I payed right at $410 mounted for mine from John.
slim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

They are the replacement for the BT003 Pro which is a race tire so I would not recommend them for dual duty street/track day use.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Here is a good review from Tom posted on the TSBA site. Hope he doesn't mind me posting.

Again...Tom's info, I have not run these...yet.

http://bbs.tsba.org/showthread.php?t=48411

If you attended the track day Sunday, likely there is no reason to read this review further... my opinion was heard across the paddock I believe.

For about 4 years while racing and doing track days, we tested various brands of tire when our favorite Michelin Pilot Race was replaced by the Pilot Power or whatever that thing was- we hated it. We tested Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, and even Metzler along with the Bridgestone. The Dunlop and Bridgestone were our favorite for longevity, consitent traction and feel; but the Bridgestone won out due to price. There was almost no difference in the two brand's DOT race tire that we found.

I have been a fan of the Bridgestone 003PRO tires since they came out. Before that I was a fan of the 002PRO, and the 090 we raced on the SV for a couple seasons before switching to the slicks. The 002PRO had a GREAT rear tire, but the front left something in the feel to be desired. Until Sunday, I still thought the 002PRO rear was the best tire they had made for the DOT race tires. The 003 came along and they fixed the front tire problem; it gave great feel and feedback but they eff'd up the rear (IMHO). The rear tire was good, and it was still something I liked better than other brands but it didn't wear very well no matter what I did with the air pressure.

So, when John at South Central Race Center called and said he needed some data at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with the new R10 tire, the successor to the 003, I knew that the double weekend at TWS (Texas World Speedway) was the right time and place to get it.

Initial reports from pro racers who did blind tire tests were exceptional, but I'd heard some of those stories before about other tires (and also saw that the Marketing and Sales personnel responsible for releasing the information were subsequently fired *cough cough* Pirelli Pro Slick *cough cough*). I was skeptical, but not as skeptical because it was a successor to a tire I already liked.

What I like about the tire (which is strikingly similar to the Dunlop too, just a lot cheaper) was the:
Stiffer carcass
Mid-corner traction/ feel
Tread wear
Consistency in the traction/ feel throughout the wear of the tire
What I didn't like:
Tread life versus the 002PRO for the rear tire (still good, but not as good)
Spin with aggressive corner exit at higher speed tracks (like TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Cresson)
Tire wear really affected by lower air pressures- this is true for all tires, but in order to get better grip (especially with corner exit) lowering the pressure caused almost excessive tire wear IMHO

So, with a cold track on Sunday morning, I went right out for the first A group session, scrubbed the tires for a lap, and then opened it up a bit. What I found was that the tires performed so differently I had to DRASTICALLY adjust my lines and reference points. The level of grip and control was so much greater, it caused my braking points to be waaay too early, my turn in points to be waaaaay too early, and my point of full-throttle to be waaaaaaaaaaaay too late! I spent the whole session just learning my way around the track again and finding out what a tire that doesn't spin up (at all), and gives such incredible grip (slowing me down in the corners using my traditional reference points), gets me around the track like. All told, I was still consistently in the 1:55- 1:54 lap times without giving any effort and feeling like I was way off because of my change in the way my bike was handling with these tires.

I don't know how to describe the difference. I don't think I've processed how different these tires are to articulate it, so let me just throw some random facts out there:
I rode every B group session with a student (8, 20-minute sessions), I let my good friend ride my bike in every C group session (9, 20-minute sessions), and I rode 5 of the 8 A group sessions (again 20-minute sessions at a pace ranging from 1:50- 1:54), and the rear tire just hit the wear bar.
I was litterally able to be greedy with the throttle, sometimes too aggressive, with no un-toward effects (practiced under controlled conditions, not as a mistake); teaching me that I was able to get on the gas a lot earlier and harder than I could in the past.
The edge grip SURPASSED the Bridgestone and Pirelli slicks I had ridden for the past several years.
The price is only 10% higher (I think) than the 003PRO tire.
By the second session, I was able to drop my lap times considerably and was running with liter bikes with no issues and still had time to make up.
I did not touch anything on my suspension, nor did I adjust the tire pressures all day long.
The tires were on warmers all day, cooled off while my friend was riding in the C group (noticably), and went right on track again when I rode in the A group right after (no untoward effects with grip, I was able to go "fast" on the out lap)

So, should "you" go buy a set of these tires? Abso-facking-lootly. You should also try other brands of tires so you build your own database of preference and knowledge. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for anyone else. Not to mention I've only tested these tires at one track for one day, albeit the track with the worst tire wear of any of the rest and the fastest track in the State.

These tires are THE BEST tires I have ever ridden, including the slicks I've raced on, but definitely better than any race DOT I have raced on.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Nice write up. I'll have to try these out after I'm done with the Pirelli Pro's. I always liked the BT003 DOT except for the rear tire wear was awful on my 1k. Never could get the tire pressures off the track wear John said they should be. It was a consistent tire though and feel was excellent so I didn't worry about it to much. The front rocked and lasted for ever it seems at my pace.

Need Body Work, Shorai batteries, Protection for your bike and body, Tire Warmers, Rearsets etc..? Come see us! We sale the top brands at the lowest prices around from Attack, Armour Bodies, Optimal Racing, Woodcraft, Forcefield, Chicken Hawk, Suzuka, Teknic, Sato Racing, Driven Racing, Arai, XT Racing and more!
www.Track-Junkie.com **Also swing by our trailer at all Fastline Motorcycle Events**
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
ileono918
On hiatus

So when they said they were about 100 cheaper than the Dunlops, they meant the Dunlop UKs.

Price wise, they seem to be a little higher than some of the others:

*Dunlop GPA ~ 385 USD
*Michellin Power Race ~ 400 USD
*Pirelli Race Tires ~ 400 USD
*BStone RT10 ~ 410 USD
*Dunlop GP (UK Version) ~ 500 USD.

Hopefully they are not like the 003's that had a reputation for wearing out really fast. Because at that price, they should last as long as the Dunlop UKs for them to be the best bang for the buck.

I am still going to try them though.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
So when they said they were about 100 cheaper than the Dunlops, they meant the Dunlop UKs.

Price wise, they seem to be a little higher than some of the others:

*Dunlop GPA ~ 385 USD
*Michellin Power Race ~ 400 USD
*Pirelli Race Tires ~ 400 USD
*BStone RT10 ~ 410 USD
*Dunlop GP (UK Version) ~ 500 USD.

Hopefully they are not like the 003's that had a reputation for wearing out really fast. Because at that price, they should last as long as the Dunlop UKs for them to be the best bang for the buck.

I am still going to try them though.
Are those prices with Tax for all of them? Cause I think i heard the 410 is with tax since the guy pitting next to me bought a set. But yeah i believe they are comparing them to the UK ones
Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
ileono918
On hiatus

Yes sir, OTD mounted in your bike.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
sunday_rider

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post

price would be a good thing.
man you didnt want to pay an extra $20 bucks to upgrade to the pirellis and now you are thinking about paying almost double for a race tire?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

120/180 = $380 + tax
120/190 = $390 + tax

Just FYI, wear has been SIGNIFICANTLY improved as well as grip. These are a firm carcass design, so no tire "squish" feeling. Just solid grip.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

can I wake up this thread?

For those of you who've run r10's, how many track days/races/etc did you get out of the hard compounds?
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I have been running them recently. I'm hooked, freaking love them.

As for wear, I'm not a good person to ask as I don't keep very good records. I run them until I feel they are getting slippery and the swap when needed. I can tell you that I left the same front on and just switched the rear. I'll try to go back and figure out sessions, etc. But really I need to keep better records.

I am faster on them than I was on the Pirelli Pro Slicks.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Can you take a guess?

Like.. "4 trackdays L2 pace" " X number races" or something like that. I think we all swap tires when needed lol... I'm just wondering what to expect from these.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
r6racer
track

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*