MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

156 Corners of Fun...For Someone Else In 2011

I found out on Friday, two days before I was to drive out to Colorado with racing buddies Joe P. and Jody Hudson that, due to a snafu at work, I would not be able to attend this year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race. I have been planning for this race for months, since the middle of last year, and registered last November. I've been around this racing stuff for many years, and have suffered disappointments and let downs before, including most recently breaking my heel and blowing up my hand in 2009 and falling out of the points lead in my classes due to injury. Getting caught out by circumstances is the nature of the sport. However, the last time I remember feeling this depressed was 21 years ago when I fell a few days before a Hallett race, broke my leg, and had to get it screwed back together, forcing me to miss a race weekend and causing me to fall out of the points lead in several of my classes. That same feeling came back on Friday.

So I hung out with some racing friends over the weekend at the TTBC, and bench raced. That made me feel better. I rode with my daughter at the TTBC, too, and that made me smile huge. Big party at a friend's house on Lake Conroe on Saturday night made be feel no pain for a while.

The next day I offered my truck, trailer and even my KTM to Joe P. to use as a spare at Pikes. That's what friends do, and I feel better helping out my long-time racing pals.

Ride hard, Joe P.! Bring home another win! And don't forget to text CEII when you do!

Have a blast, Jody H.! Bummer we can't talk guns and other trash on the trip. Sucks, bro.

Go hard, Mark N.! Get into the top 5, bro and reserve my podium for 2012!

Special thanks to Greg (Mekrew) who offered me his KTM for my backup. Maybe you'll do the race with me next year, brother!

Last edited by Racer997; 06-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
United Way Fun Run Saturday May 21, 2011 Longdraw Events, Meets and Rides 8 05-19-2011 10:40 PM
Question about the Corners viper15 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 12-14-2008 04:41 PM
Gearing in corners? Nox Taking it to the Track 53 05-08-2007 03:00 PM
clearing corners BigComfy Off Topic 3 10-19-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
markn8442

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

i feel it...it's pain and ive waited 360 days

i know its a bummer man. thats one of the tough things about this event...you gotta wait another whole year to hit it again.
i was fried for weeks after i crashed out last year.
but i know you will be here next year linz!
IT WILL HAPPEN!
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
sucks you couldn't go! I know we have been talking about you riding there since last year. If i can actually get some more seat time I would love to go ride that next year with you. One of those once in a lifetime, just to say I did it events for me.

Well once that bike comes back, you know what time it is ..... GSS
We didn't rebuild these bikes for nothing
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Come to Hallett and get a whippin!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

That flat out sucks. Nothing else to say.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

linz for prez. get down with it.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

There is always next year, so I've heard.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Pikes Peak is awesome.. used to go watch every year. My dad worked it with the PPSSC as well.

One of those bucket list things to go race there some day...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post

I found out on Friday, two days before I was to drive out to Colorado with racing buddies Joe P. and Jody Hudson that, due to a snafu at work, I would not be able to attend this year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race. I have been planning for this race for months, since the middle of last year, and registered last November. I've been around this racing stuff for many years, and have suffered disappointments and let downs before, including most recently breaking my heel and blowing up my hand in 2009 and falling out of the points lead in my classes due to injury. Getting caught out by circumstances is the nature of the sport. However, the last time I remember feeling this depressed was 21 years ago when I fell a few days before a Hallett race, broke my leg, and had to get it screwed back together, forcing me to miss a race weekend and causing me to fall out of the points lead in several of my classes. That same feeling came back on Friday.

So I hung out with some racing friends over the weekend at the TTBC, and bench raced. That made me feel better. I rode with my daughter at the TTBC, too, and that made me smile huge. Big party at a friend's house on Lake Conroe on Saturday night made be feel no pain for a while.

The next day I offered my truck, trailer and even my KTM to Joe P. to use as a spare at Pikes. That's what friends do, and I feel better helping out my long-time racing pals.

Ride hard, Joe P.! Bring home another win! And don't forget to text CEII when you do!

Have a blast, Jody H.! Bummer we can't talk guns and other trash on the trip. Sucks, bro.

Go hard, Mark N.! Get into the top 5, bro and reserve my podium for 2012!

Special thanks to Greg (Mekrew) who offered me his KTM for my backup. Maybe you'll do the race with me next year, brother!

Sorry you missed it Linz. That totally sux about work. The weather was incredible and so was the racing. Records were broken left and right up there with the addition of more pavement. Pikes is about to officially become a roadrace. Rumor is... that was the last race with dirt. Next year is supposed to be paved from the bottom to the top. All you dirt trackers out there who always dreamed of doing pikes peak.... im afraid you guys missed your window of opportunity. The mountain is now gonna favor riders with backgrounds in roadracing & supermoto. Jeff Grace a colorado local raced a KTM RC8 and landed a 2nd place finish in the 1200cc class, but was unable to match the time set by PPIHC Rookie Carlin Dunne riding the Ducati Multistrada:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/raci...rcycle-record/

the 750 class top qualifier Gary Trachy fell during the race broke his arm and still picked the bike up and finished 2nd to Stuart Sinclair on the Aprilia SXV550. That was absolutely incredible Hats off to Gary for such an inspirational performance.

Our hometown favorite Joe P did an excellent job as well. He qualified 10th due to a minor fall in the loose dirt section, but come race day was ready to give it everything he had to beat class leader Davey Durelle. Unfortunately once the race was underway, the carb on Joe's bike suffered a stuck float and started puking gas all over him & the bike. He soldiered on to finish 2nd in the 450cc class. That's Joe for ya... always giving it 110% and never giving up. He was pretty disappointed, but I had to remind him that he rode an awesome race considering the circumstances and be glad he didn't take the helicopter(life flight) ride that a few other racers had to take. Good job Joe

Id like to give a big congratulations to another Texan who went up there and handed them their . Brianna Corn finished 1st in the Time Attack 4wd class in her Subaru WRX STI. Way to go girl ! I met her the friday before the race and it only took me 15 mins to realize she was a die-hard racer to the core just like us. The story she told us of how she got into racing was very inspirational. Good for you Brianna

After all the weeks events I came to the conclusion that it's time to get back on a bike and enter the 2012 race alongside my friends. Pikes Peak is a race like no other. Once you've done it... YOU'RE ADDICTED ! It's like that hot stripper with the golden . Once you've had it, nothin' else even compares and you will do almost anything to get some more of it. I was ok during the practice sessions, but when race day came and I was standin there helping Joe on the grid to the start. I felt a strong surge of disappointment that i wasn't suited up and gridded next to him just like we were in 2007. The starting line is a picturesque road lined with aspen trees and fans and as you look up towards the sky, the summit of Pikes Peak is staring down at you saying "Come and Get Sum". At that moment I knew I'd be entering again in 2012
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

yea!

very cool jody! do it again!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn8442 View Post
very cool jody! do it again!
Hey Mark I didn't see you after the race.... How'd it go up there for ya ?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

man i was spent..

i got to the bottom and was trashed.
i sat there and ate anything i could get my hands on for awhile, then i just sat there like a zombie thinking about how hard the last year had been waiting to redeem myself from the crash in engineer's corner.
i was 8th in 450 SM with a 12:47. since i q-d 4th, i was wanting better.
it was actually the first time i'd ridden a supermoto bike in competition, so i guess i was ok with my result. lots to learn in the next year.
but it was fun, fun and i already have a list of about 20 things to do next year!
thanks for your advice,jody. it was kinda weird you being there and not throwin down with em...i agree.
i cant wait for 2012 and im glad you'll be there again!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn8442 View Post
i got to the bottom and was trashed.
i sat there and ate anything i could get my hands on for awhile, then i just sat there like a zombie thinking about how hard the last year had been waiting to redeem myself from the crash in engineer's corner.
i was 8th in 450 SM with a 12:47. since i q-d 4th, i was wanting better.
it was actually the first time i'd ridden a supermoto bike in competition, so i guess i was ok with my result. lots to learn in the next year.
but it was fun, fun and i already have a list of about 20 things to do next year!
thanks for your advice,jody. it was kinda weird you being there and not throwin down with em...i agree.
i cant wait for 2012 and im glad you'll be there again!
Dont beat yourself up too much bro. You finished and you didn't get hurt. Thats the most important thing Take what you learned from these past 2 yrs and put it to good use for next year. Get that slipper clutch and work on smoothing out your corner entry like we discussed. ride that bike during trackdays and get it dialed in for the pavement. u got my # if there is anything you need help with bro. thanks again to you and rusty for letting Joe & I ride yalls beemers that day. i had a great time tractoring up the mountain on that bad boy
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

I met up with Joe the other day and talked shop. Indeed congrats to him for a job well done, especially considering the fall in qualifying and fuel problem on race day. He said he was certain he was down in 5th or 6th with the way the bike was running, and was surprised to learn he was on the box. Yep, that's Joe for you!

He also told me that a couple of the paved sections were scary to him. Scaring him isn't easy, so that says something about the course, and it will be even more of a statement next year. That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this season so badly because I knew the dirt was going away and the race won't be the same next year. It should be faster and more dangerous. That's appealing in its own right, but not in the same way as full-lock sideways power slide on the gravel sections, you know?

And Mark, dude, you did great. You learned more and I'm gonna pick your brain at Hallett for that info. And for a while after that, too. Shoulda used my bike, bro! You'd have been on the podium for sure! Bring that thing of yours to Hallett so I can pound, er, race you.

Good to hear you're thinkin' about doing it again in 2012, Jody! It should be a party. I talked to Phil with PPIHC and he agreed to carry over my entry from this year, so I didn't loose that. Also, last night I was talking to Ryan Andrews and he told me he was in the planning stages of building "something killer" to do Pikes with next year. Man, I can hardly wait!

And hat's off to Craig, too. Geez, from nothing to the box. Typical.

BTW, I was suckered into having the live coverage on most of the day. Man, that was some boring coverage and all the delays just made it worse. That radio station (I forget which one it was now) really needs to get on I<3Radio!

Also, I've monitoring that Aprilia guy who went into the trees. He's still hanging on and has actually made a few small but significant improvements in his condition. That's good news.

Last edited by Racer997; 07-01-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

From the Carlin Dunne afterparty pix. I'm quite certain she's had this happen to her before...

Carlin Dunne Ducati Santa Barbara PPIHC 26

Advertisement