MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I've gotten a few bullshit tickets in Friendswood is all. Usually, if I'm wrong and get caught it's all on me but the tickets I've gotten there are ridiculous. Had one where cop tried to run a red light but I got in his way, he pulled me over and said I ran a red and gave me a ticket.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
San Francisco and surrounding areas Absalom Off Topic 5 04-29-2014 08:25 AM
racism in pearland and surrounding areas! klassik Off Topic 166 08-06-2013 03:52 PM
Santa Fe and surrounding areas cneal81941 Events, Meets and Rides 4 05-12-2012 07:24 PM
Map of the Forest and Surrounding Areas maxgs Events, Meets and Rides 24 08-24-2008 08:02 PM
RIDE IN CONROE (SURROUNDING AREAS) Nightster Ridester Events, Meets and Rides 8 05-21-2007 02:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #22
m109runner
lighting guru

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Send a message via Yahoo to m109runner
dude...just change them to white and be done with it.

in all the years ive been riding with LEDs and the massive amount I have, I havent ever been hassled.

If they want to pull you over they will....and they will hassle you....cause they can.....

just make sure your ducks are in a row and keep rolling.

lighting the world one bike at a time!!!
m109runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
Bkgraham33

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZX14R

Quote:
Originally Posted by m109runner View Post
dude...just change them to white and be done with it.

in all the years ive been riding with LEDs and the massive amount I have, I havent ever been hassled.

If they want to pull you over they will....and they will hassle you....cause they can.....

just make sure your ducks are in a row and keep rolling.
He'll no, Sean! I'm sticking with green! Besides, the Friendswood cop told me white either. Stupid boogers.
Bkgraham33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #24
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

This is what my MSF instructor told me: The laws are vague and open to interpretation enough that a cop will give you a ticket if he wants to. But the easiest way to keep from getting hassled is to follow some simple rules.

1. Keep the source of light (lamps, leds, bulbs) hidden and out of sight.
2. Never run with red lights or blue strobes.
3. The light from the source should always be pointed down to the road and should not extend more than a foot or two from around the motorcycle.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Have a switch that turns the lights off that is separate from your other lights.

I followed these rules and installed some blue lights on my Vulcan 800 and was never hassled. I had a cop pull up once to tell me he thought it looked cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vn1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	46077  
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
Track_Graphics

Experience: 10+ years

Not to hijack the thread, but just stay - or get out of Friendswood when on a bike. From a traffic light start in a pack of traffic, my buddy and I started out and he dumped the clutch a little too fast and killed it. A little nervous and embarrassed, he did it twice. By now I'm 100 yards ahead of him, in traffic, center lane of 3 right at the posted limit of 45. I'm looking back to see if he's coming. yup, but slowly. Friendswood police coming the other direction from around a curve did a U and PA'd us BOTH to pull over. Gave us BOTH speeding tickets for 17 OVER, Told us BOTH that NEITHER had insurance (I have 4 bikes on one plan), would NOT let my friend have a smoke. Told him to put it out and not throw the . NEITHER of us won in court. TOTAL BS. We were 100% legal and obeying the law.
My son also got a speeding ticket for 15 over and "racing". Also, no insurance and not signaling.... for going straight? It was raining lightly and he was alone on 518. $600+ in fines and 60hrs community service. ALL LIES. When I "talked" to the judge "she" said if I had anything more to say she would double his hours....... nice . . . . racing in the rain - alone.... right...
Sorry I got so long and has nothing to do with lights but just STAY OUT OF FRIENDSWOOD. They DO target bikes and for NOTHING.
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #26
jhendrix

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
'02 Shadow 750

Friendswood cops are ridiculous, period. I got pulled over for not signaling when I was coming off a side street onto 518 at 2AM, with no other cars in sight. Got pulled over two nights later again because I had 1 license plate light, not two. There is only a spot for one?

From my experience, and from many others, Friendswood just likes to hassle people.
jhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #27
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

I'm glad this thread came up. I just started researching LED's because I'm planning on lighting up my bike with amber and red ones. The amber ones will be for the side and front. Red ones will be for the rear. I'm going to wire them up in 4 quadrients front left, front right, rear left and rear right. I'm going to try to wire them so that both front and rear work as turn signals until I hit the brakes which will override the rear turn signals making all rears work as brake lights. Much like some automotive lights.

And since we are on the subject of illegal lighting. Let me say that I hate those strobing lights on any vehicle, Especially commercial equipment. Those things are really annoying and sometimes to the point of being hypnotic. Besides if you can't see an 8 1/2foot wide X 10 ' tall hunk of steel in front of you. what in the makes anyone think you'll see the little flashing light.

Here's something for you legal eagles to ponder. What's the difference between a guy on a bike trying to be seen and those truckers who put running lights all over his/her semi.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #28
JBIRD5363

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkgraham33 View Post
Yeah, I've read that law and I don't see anything that specifically prohibits me from riding green.
Green means you have medical grade compressed oxygen on board.
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #29
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Been riding three years with mine & no hassle so far.
Sounds like Friendswood LEOS hassle bikes.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #30
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I have been riding a long time, Grew up in Friendswood and been all over the roads there. I have never been hassled in Friendswood. I have had LED lights on my sport bike and never had an issue. I have ridden on my HD all over as well and have never been with. Not sure why but oh well. All i say is it just draws attention to you. Take Seans advice as well. He has about 10,000 lights on his bike and i have never heard him complain about being cited for lights. Just my .2

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #31
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #32
RJV

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
hypermotard 1100 (duc is dead)
hypermotard sp
1125 cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1hobo View Post
This is what my MSF instructor told me: The laws are vague and open to interpretation enough that a cop will give you a ticket if he wants to. But the easiest way to keep from getting hassled is to follow some simple rules.

1. Keep the source of light (lamps, leds, bulbs) hidden and out of sight.
2. Never run with red lights or blue strobes.
3. The light from the source should always be pointed down to the road and should not extend more than a foot or two from around the motorcycle.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Have a switch that turns the lights off that is separate from your other lights.

I followed these rules and installed some blue lights on my Vulcan 800 and was never hassled. I had a cop pull up once to tell me he thought it looked cool.
talked to a local pd officer he told me the same thing
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement