Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #61
phil7153
Defying gravity

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to phil7153
Ill be home Sunday. And will upload pics then
phil7153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What part of dont drive through low water crossings do people not understand? eltejano Off Topic 18 06-05-2011 01:20 PM
Cool People Helping People jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-04-2008 11:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #62
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

When I wrecked my cruiser, Patrick's guys from Motorcycles Unlimited came to pick it up and assessed the damages. They got in contact with my insurance guy, also Progressive.

Patrick found upgrades and mods that were on the bike that I didnt even know about (I bought it that way). Unfortunately, they had to total the bike, BUT I got a check for $400 more than what I paid for it. Thanks to both parties.

I have filed 2 claims with Progressive thus far, one on my bike and one on my previous vehicle. They were courteous, efficient and very fair. I won't be leaving Progressive any time soon.

Best of luck with your bike Phil and hopefully you'll have the same (relatively) good experience with Progressive that I did!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #63
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7153 View Post
He said he didn't. But he is insured with progressive, same as me.

This is my first time dealing with an accident and or insurance claims. Im just trying to get a feel, if they will actually scrape up the $3995 or whatever it is for a new 250, or of the are just gonna cover some of it. It was completely his fault, he even admitted fault, so I assume my bike will be replaced? What are the chances of me being SOL on my bike?
get an attorney! They know how to deal with it

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #64
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

So the insurance guy declared it totaled, and said it was a total loss of $3861.23.... I have $5100 in the thing... Someone needs to make up the difference. Insurance or the dude who hit me?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #65
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

They accounted for all the upgrades?
Something doesn't sound right.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #66
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
They accounted for all the upgrades?
Something doesn't sound right.
Thats what he said.

It wouldnt be so bad if they actually let me keep the bike as well, but no. They are going to take it along with all those mods.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #67
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I'd ask for a breakdown on how they came up with the offer 3861.23

However, I checked...

KBB trade-in $1,770 'good' cond
KBB retail $2,630
Napa low/high 'retail' $1,980 $2,605
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #68
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

im gonna give them a break down and they can compile that into a nice check for me...
Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #69
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

$3861 sounds like a fair deal, and I doubt without a lot of hassle you're gonna find that is about all you can get out of them. if they gave you fair market value for the bike and mods, then that's about all you can ask for. For $3500 you can get a new Ninja 250. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-250R-95856589

The real question, and I'm not calling BS here, is how did you get $5100 into an 08' Ninja???? I've had a lot of bikes, and very rarely did I ever sink that much cash into a bike.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #70
Houston Terrell

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
get an attorney! They know how to deal with it
Yup. Yup. Do not think I would deal with insurance claim of somone elses fault again. Takes a bit longer but they take care of you "and themselves"
Took a bit to get over the initial thought of using attorney for a wreck but when you take all into consideration, all the small inconviences ect add up and you sould not have to deal with it with out compensation when it is somone elses fault.
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #71
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

exactly....

and even if i were able to find a bike for $3861.23, it would not include tax, title and registration fees. Plus the mods i had on my previous bike and compensation for towing to my house. If they are only giving me that much, i am taking my exhaust, tires, and windscreen

Im going to call the insurance guy and tell him what i need and how the offer is not acceptable, otherwise lawyers will be involved, and i will take them up on the bodily injury claim since my neck, shoulder and side are still sore..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #72
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

i will also be calling them several times a day and raising , until fair compensation is reached. Im asking less than $800 more, they can settle with that or have to face a ton of hate from me.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #73
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Sad you got hit, and glad you are OK.

Ya, I wasn't there, and I am grasping, but most lanes are wide enough for a car and a bike on either side. The fact he didn't hit you, meant probably he wouldn't have hit you.

Hitting a curb and taking a dirt bath are usually the result of overreacting to the situation. Falling down on pavement is usually the result of overreaching the limits of traction. Actually hitting another vehicle is an indication that there was no time to properly react, or no way to avoid concrete, dirt naps, or the vehicle itself.

When someone pulls in my lane I typically hit the gas and get out of the spot before their lane change is complete, or brake a little to clear the spot. Sometimes I tap on their window. Sometimes if a tap isn't enough, I mess with their mirror.

A car is only 15 or so feet long, so usually a 7-8 foot forward or backward move is all that is required. At speed, this only takes half second or so to do. Where it gets scary is when there is a big speed differential, like when you are going 50 and they are almost stopped in the lane next to you. But basic drivers ed says never let yourself have that big of a speed differential lane vs lane to begin with. That's why lane splitting is often limited to 25MPH. And why riding defensively is the best way to avoid increasing all the good riders insurance rates.
I read this thread and wanted to ask were you riding next to the vehicle or passing?
So I'm glad somebody finally made these points. You have to drive defensively even when driving aggressively. I almost never ride next to a vehicle. Especially semi's I've had more than 1 truck blow a tire when I was in close proximity to them. And when I do ride next to a vehicle. I make sure that I'm next to the front of the vehicle so the driver doesn't have any excuse for not seeing me. And then I try to always be ready to take evasive actions.

Another rule I try to follow is no matter how fast I come up to a busy intersection I slow down too at, near, or even below the speed limit. This is where most accidents happen. And this is where I've nearly been the guy in the SUV who didn't see the bike. I looked before I went, but I just didn't see him. Luckily he saw me soon enough to honk and avoid the collision.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #74
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
I read this thread and wanted to ask were you riding next to the vehicle or passing?
Apparently he was behind me, got into the left lane to pass me, then hit me when he decided he wanted to come into the right lane where i was.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #75
thewingo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Like I said, they aren't there to make you whole, they are there to cover your depreciated loss. $3,861.23 sounds fair to me. It is not their job to cover the accessories you chose to put on it, just the aspects of the machine that came on the bike between your legs, stock, of course. It is not their job to cover TT&L, either. If you think insurance is supposed to be fair, you're in for a good lesson learned With the settlement you can purchase a new bike, and that's how they see it. If you want $800 more, they are going to see that as you want 20% more, which in reality it's $800 a major insurance company will never miss, but they deal with facts and figures. Try going for it, you probably won't get it, but you can't win if you don't enter!
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #76
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

The best you can ever hope for is fair market value. No judge is ever going to award you more than that.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #77
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

With progressive, they are here to recoop my losses as well as replace my bike with all the accessories it had on it. I was told this by several of progressives insurance people, and as well as one of my lawyers.

The claim adjusters, just want to give you as little as possible, so they get the difference in their bonus.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #78
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Don't take the first offer. Like any other competent negotiator, adjuster's start with the bottom of the range they think is acceptable. They try to give you fair market value which is what you would get if you sold the bike. You didn't want to sell your bike, you want it replaced. So you need to shoot for replacement cost which would include everything it would take to get the same bike in your garage.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #79
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7153 View Post
With progressive, they are here to recoop my losses as well as replace my bike with all the accessories it had on it. I was told this by several of progressives insurance people, and as well as one of my lawyers.

The claim adjusters, just want to give you as little as possible, so they get the difference in their bonus.
How much does progressive allow for accessories? Some insurance companies require you to buy extra coverage if you want the accessories covered as well.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #80
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
How much does progressive allow for accessories? Some insurance companies require you to buy extra coverage if you want the accessories covered as well.
Progressive doesnt require extra coverage, and they "Replace" all mods, not just give what they think it is worth. So on the Mods, they are actually quite fair in the pricing. Just way off on the bike, tt&l, towing, helmet

Advertisement