MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #41
phil7153
Defying gravity

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to phil7153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
Let us know if Progressive takes care of you.
Thus far they have been nothing but wonderful.
phil7153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What part of dont drive through low water crossings do people not understand? eltejano Off Topic 18 06-05-2011 01:20 PM
Cool People Helping People jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 06-04-2008 11:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #42
gkcontra

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

I used to keep mine out of it until last year, the other guy's insurance wasn't being real cooperative. Called our insurance and they covered it, and then his ended up paying for it all.

Back on topic though; Glad to hear you are ok, that's what counts. Unfortunately according to KBB.com, which I know is far from perfect, lists retail for your bike in excellent condition at 2850.00.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #43
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Well he was at fault, between both of our insurances, they should cover it enough for me to get a different one, with no money out of my pocket. They have to. And if not, I will just contact the dude who hit me to make up the difference. He was clearly wealthy and im sure doesn't want to involve my amazing lawyer.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #44
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

How do
Quote:
Its my only mode of transportation and im broke.
&
Quote:
sure doesn't want to involve my amazing lawyer.
go hand in hand?

Progressive is going to toss a #, I think referred to as fair market value. They're not likely to look at 'mods', you're probably going to have to point those out and they're likely going to insist that you demonstrate/explain how they increased the value.

Then becareful what papers you sign, you accept that settlement offer...sign the waiver and you may sign any effective chance you have to go after the guy for more $.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #45
Hung
Yes that's my name.

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Suzuki SV650N
2005 Honda CBR 600RR (Stolen, Recovered)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)

you had a lot of mods on that thing cosmetically anyway that I could see. Sorry for the lost but glad you are ok.
Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #46
thewingo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2011 H-D Iron...1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7153 View Post
Well he was at fault, between both of our insurances, they should cover it enough for me to get a different one, with no money out of my pocket. They have to. And if not, I will just contact the dude who hit me to make up the difference. He was clearly wealthy and im sure doesn't want to involve my amazing lawyer.

First of all, I'm really glad to hear you are okay and the guy stopped. That's a huge plus for you. It does not matter if he had insurance on the rental car or not, his personal coverage will cover the accident. I had someone maliciously move into me the other day...the 1 day I didn't have my Contour on my helmet >:( I would have sent the footage to Harris County and he definitely would have been served for reckless/carless driving!

I've been in 3 car accidents: 1 my fault, 1 my fault 50/50, 1 not my fault.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, FILE ANYTHING UNDER YOUR POLICY NUMBER!!!! You want your policy number to stay the out of it, if ANYTHING goes under your policy, it's technically filing a claim under YOUR policy and YOUR rate WILL go up!

Hopefully Progressive is good, because that's who I carry. You're going to pay a lawyer 33.333% most likely, so keep your lawyer out of it. I can tell you right now you will be disappointed. I'm telling you this with almost absolute certainty, you WILL have to spend a little money out of pocket. They are there to cover your loss, and what you lost has a value that depreciates. They are not there to make you whole, they are there to cover your loss and minimize their payout. My accident where I was not at fault I had Hartford and so did the other driver (Hartford SUCKS by the way), didn't matter it was the same company. They are different teams in the same office trying to minimize payout.

As others have said, get to a car rental place and get you a rental car and give them the claim number, charges start racking up on your claim for his policy

At $120/year, you probably don't carry full coverage insurance, which means you don't have UIM coverage. This would provide you further monies in the event a driver at fault has no insurance or is underinsured. Which, simply put, means you are SOL and pay out of pocket.

Lastly, if he was obviously wealthy, his lawyer will be 10x better than yours. Sometimes, people are willing to pay out-of-pocket to keep the insurance companies out of it and a point hit on their driver's license. But, since the insurance company is already involved, it will be hard to keep them out of it now. If all you're looking for is restitution for property damage and you aren't trying to skim a little extra, talk to him about maybe settling it without the insurance company. Tell him you want a new (to you) bike, and a new helmet and you'll be happy. If you missed work, tell him to cover what you would have made, I know I tried to handle my first accident where I was completely at fault that way. He seems like a good guy if he actually stopped AND admitted fault up front without any bullshit, hopefully he works with you along the way.

It's never fun being in an accident, out of transportation, and dealing with insurance companies, if you have any questions about how to deal with them or what things mean, shoot me a PM, I'll help you out as much as I can.
thewingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #47
Bazzy

Bike(s):
'02 KTM Duke II

Or you could do things the right way
Bazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #48
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

I wrecked a bike a couple months back. In this case I was being an idiot and slid off road, so no other driver involved. Also I had full coverage. The insurance co sent someone out to my house (where the remains of my ride were parked); all this really did was determine whether the bike was totalled or could/should have an estimate done - and it was totalled. The value of my bike was listed at $3500, minus the $500 deductible I got a check for a hair over 3 grand.

However, my rates have skyrocketed - I still carry full coverage, but I'm getting raped on the cost (headed towards double).

BTW I dealt w/ Liberty Mutual (I changed since then for lower rates) and haven't a single complaint about the service. They're not real big on Motorcycle insurance, but overall I think very highly of their company.

But to answer your question, ASK the ins company before you just go out and start doing things and just expect them to pay. They may want to sent someone to see the bike before having an estimate done, and/or may have some specific places where they contract for estimates. Don't assume they're guaranteed to cover the cost of your gear or mods (you'll probably have to eat the cost of anything you've done to the bike, including even necessary things like oil, tires etc.)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #49
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
He said he didn't. But he is insured with progressive, same as me.

This is my first time dealing with an accident and or insurance claims. Im just trying to get a feel, if they will actually scrape up the $3995 or whatever it is for a new 250, or of the are just gonna cover some of it. It was completely his fault, he even admitted fault, so I assume my bike will be replaced? What are the chances of me being SOL on my bike?
I have State Farm on my car and they told me I'm covered while driving a rental.

Call Progressive and file a claim against him. You will be covered for cost of repairs or fair market value of your bike, whichever is less.

Last edited by Bevo; 06-17-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #50
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
He said he didn't. But he is insured with progressive, same as me.
I had to deal with Progressive once. They did me all right.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #51
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

I will buy your bike for 150, I would have to put a lot of money into it to get it street legal. LMK
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #52
GABRIEL

That or trade you for a skateboard, I might have a PSP to trade but you will have to bring the bike to me.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #53
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

In the future try keep from being in that position. If you must be side by side with a car, try to establish eye contact with the driver. Always leave yourself an out and stay out of blind spots.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #54
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
In the future try keep from being in that position. If you must be side by side with a car, try to establish eye contact with the driver. Always leave yourself an out and stay out of blind spots.

Sad you got hit, and glad you are OK.

Ya, I wasn't there, and I am grasping, but most lanes are wide enough for a car and a bike on either side. The fact he didn't hit you, meant probably he wouldn't have hit you.

Hitting a curb and taking a dirt bath are usually the result of overreacting to the situation. Falling down on pavement is usually the result of overreaching the limits of traction. Actually hitting another vehicle is an indication that there was no time to properly react, or no way to avoid concrete, dirt naps, or the vehicle itself.

When someone pulls in my lane I typically hit the gas and get out of the spot before their lane change is complete, or brake a little to clear the spot. Sometimes I tap on their window. Sometimes if a tap isn't enough, I mess with their mirror.

A car is only 15 or so feet long, so usually a 7-8 foot forward or backward move is all that is required. At speed, this only takes half second or so to do. Where it gets scary is when there is a big speed differential, like when you are going 50 and they are almost stopped in the lane next to you. But basic drivers ed says never let yourself have that big of a speed differential lane vs lane to begin with. That's why lane splitting is often limited to 25MPH. And why riding defensively is the best way to avoid increasing all the good riders insurance rates.

From Progressive, expect Kelly Blue Book Value, plus sales taxes. Don't expect aftermarket pipes and new tires to really add much to the payout. Taking it to a dealer is probably a waste of time. If the driver has PIP, you should expect a payout if you say you were hurt in any way, including a scrape or bruise. Progressive will give you 2 prices you can settle on, one if you keep the bike, another if they take it and sell it for salvage.

I'd consider buying your bike damaged...I've been looking for a wrecked 250 to make into a track bike. See what they offer for salvage, then hit me up.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #55
phil7153
Defying gravity

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Talked to progressive and someone is coming to look at it on Tuesday, to assess damage. The guy ask if I had any mods, I told him along with the prices, and he said he would be sure to add that in.

And in response to everyone talking about lawyer prices, a good family friend, is a world wide lawyer and told me if I need him, its free of charge.

If I am able to keep the bike, I will part out or sell whole to the highest bidder persay. Pm me now, and submit your preemptive offer.

@gabriel, you need to get over yourself.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #56
GABRIEL

Highest bidder, this is not ebay.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #57
brandontx

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Remember that since you were minding your own business and he tried to kill you he or his insurance company needs to REPLACE your bike. Not prorate this or that or give you this much because they feel that's the value. Look up actual bikes for sale and if you can't find one with all the mods you had then you will have to buy new ones. If you can't find a 1 year old helmet like yours then they need to buy you a new one. Add in shipping if there are not similar bikes for sale in the area right now. Add in TT&L. Research is key. Basically price out a real bike that is for sale right now and figure out how much it will cost to get the same bike with same mods back into your garage without you having to spend one single dollar.

Don't let them decide how much money they feel like giving you, you call them and tell them how much money they owe you.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #58
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Talked to progressive and someone is coming to look at it on Tuesday, to assess damage. The guy ask if I had any mods, I told him along with the prices, and he said he would be sure to add that in.

And in response to everyone talking about lawyer prices, a good family friend, is a world wide lawyer and told me if I need him, its free of charge.

If I am able to keep the bike, I will part out or sell whole to the highest bidder persay. Pm me now, and submit your preemptive offer.

@gabriel, you need to get over yourself.
A world wide lawyer huh. Once they come out and inspect it make sure you start calling them and tell them how much money they owe you. Don't be a chump and wait for them to tell you how much they feel like giving you. Price out a similar bike that is for sale locally. Add in any mods that bike doesn't have that yours did. Add in TT&L. Voila that is how much money they owe you and you tell those what your address is so they can send the check and hang up the phone.

Seriously though, you may already know this but you have to be really firm with them. The fact that they haggle with you shows that they want to give you the least amount of money they can because that is of course the reason for haggling. Don't be fooled by friendliness.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #59
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
A world wide lawyer huh. Once they come out and inspect it make sure you start calling them and tell them how much money they owe you. Don't be a chump and wait for them to tell you how much they feel like giving you. Price out a similar bike that is for sale locally. Add in any mods that bike doesn't have that yours did. Add in TT&L. Voila that is how much money they owe you and you tell those what your address is so they can send the check and hang up the phone.

Seriously though, you may already know this but you have to be really firm with them. The fact that they haggle with you shows that they want to give you the least amount of money they can because that is of course the reason for haggling. Don't be fooled by friendliness.
I agree. Lion or lamb? Roar and they will treat you better in the end.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #60
LRD
Kawi Green!

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

Glad you're ok but...

In for pics of said bike