MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
LRD
Kawi Green!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

Noob question (sizing)

How do you know what size you are? I searched some and basically came up with "try on a bunch and buy whatever fits you best".

Need to get sizes for some gloves and a jacket as well, saw newenough had some sizing charts for gloves and gonna see how that goes for me though..

Any suggestions for a noob? I want to have my own gear by when i do MSF
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NOT ANOTHER NOOB QUESTION Streak General Discussion (Moto Related) 70 08-28-2015 06:08 AM
LAST NOOB QUESTION OF TODAY Streak General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 08-24-2015 08:32 PM
Noob Question Eddy.T General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 02-07-2011 06:39 PM
Such a noob question... Houstonbussa General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-10-2010 02:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Go to Motorcycles Unlimited or Cycle Gear or another shop and try stuff on
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
trumindgame
Rowdy Riders @ UTSA

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Sv 1000s 2k7
WTB 08 Blk/Orange Busa

yeah def hit a shop up and try the gear on +1
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

Support your local shop, otherwise you (we are all) doomed to guessing.
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Alpinestar runs small....id say take a ride go try on different manufactures of gear and see what works the best
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

different manufacturers have slightly different measurements. kinda like blue jean manufacturers. plus, helmet manufactures make helmets for different size AND SHAPE heads. so try on loads of different helmets to get one that fits properly and comfortably and then decide on color/graphics
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Height? Weight? Chest? All these measurements are important when sizing. I'm five foot nothing and wear x-small jacket, small gloves, xx-small helmet. In nearly every brand I've tried, I wear the same size (some brands don't sell x-small). My hostage is 6'4" and weighs 220 and wears large jacket, x-large helmet, x-large gloves. You have to buy what fits you best and what you're comfortable wearing.

Your helmet should be snug to your head and give you chipmunk cheeks, but not so tight you get a headache.

Jackets should be snug enough that they stay put, but not so tight that you can't move freely.

Gloves should fit snugly; the leather will stretch and conform to your hand after a month or so.

Boots should fit well; motorcycle boots are as important as your jacket! Many ankles are broken and feet torn up because of improper foot wear!

Get you some knee/shin guards. They should fit snugly under your jeans (or over if your jeans are too tight, like mine).

If you buy a full set of leathers, then they should fit snug. The leather, like the gloves, will stretch and conform to your body.

Hope that helped a little.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Please consider buying at least some of your gear locally (and not at a big chain store either). Mom and pop motorcycle shops are the kind of places where you get personal treatment, after the sale service and often are the places where you can go try stuff on.
You can go ask questions and people actually know the answer AND have time to talk to you about it. Sure you could save a couple dollars on the internet (after you go try it on in a shop) but if everybody does that, soon we won't have the local shop to enjoy.
No, I dont work at a shop (anymore) but even though I live in Pearland, Patrick knows me when I walk into Motorcycles Unlimited (it's on 1960).
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

i think you get coupons for gear after your MSF course is done so might want to wait.

In my experience when shopping for gear. Helmets you just must try on no matter what. For everything else, here are some brands and how they fit IMO

fit big
Joe Rocket
Cortech

fit close to true to size
Alpinestars
Icon
Speed&Strength

fit small
Dainese
Alpinestars leather
Teknic

for gloves get your summer pair real snug and get a size up for a winter pair to fit a liner underneath.
for boots, I highly recommend Sidi for both size and quality.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD View Post
How do you know what size you are? I searched some and basically came up with "try on a bunch and buy whatever fits you best".

Need to get sizes for some gloves and a jacket as well, saw newenough had some sizing charts for gloves and gonna see how that goes for me though..

Any suggestions for a noob? I want to have my own gear by when i do MSF
yea... "try on a bunch and buy whatever fits you best".

visit every shop in town, twice. try on all their gear. ALL OF IT. take notes in your phone, ask if they can print you a "pick ticket". (its just a list of part number and prices of stuff you are thinking of buying.)

after day 1 consider all your decisions. hopefully you can make one, or at least narrow it down, and visit each shop the second time. during all this, pay attention to who is really helping you out. give them the sale! why? because cheapassmotorcycleparts.com wasnt there to help you out, or let you try things on. thats why! they dont care about you, dont want to talk to you, help you, or deal with you. they want your credit card number for as little effort on their part as possible....and they may want to charge you shipping on top of that. most local places do not charge shipping for special orders either.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Buy local, most times they'll match the advertised prices or come close to it once you add in shipping.

And a bonus, if you ever have any questions they can answer them much better than some guy at a call center in India.

Is saving $10 worth having to send back or not getting it due to it being placed on "backorder?"
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
jrfitzny
Derriere Extraordinaire

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1948 Harley Flathead w/ sidecar
2008 Buell 1125R
2004 CRF Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to jrfitzny
Measurement tape is your friend. A lot of manufacturers websites have a sizing chart of their gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
My hostage is 6'4" and weighs 220 and wears large jacket, x-large helmet, x-large gloves.
Does he own a tracksuit? If so, what brand? I'm having trouble finding one to fit me
jrfitzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
LRD
Kawi Green!

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

First of all thanks for all the replies!

Second of all, I've been meaning to go up to Motorcycles Unlimited it's just kind of a drive and I dont want to be completely lost when I go up there to look for stuff. I didn't really bring up the boots because by what I've read most people swear by sidi so I figured I'd just go with them at least til I learn any better myself.

As far as measurements well I dont have a measuring tape on me but I'll find one and post up some sizes. I'm about 5'9" 140lbs so pretty thin lol, I dont doubt a lot of my gear will be XS and Small (no pun intended ). Have a pretty big round head though so who knows about that

All in all thanks for the suggestions and I'll start shopping around soon!
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
measuring tape is useless.

the measuring tape does not measure if you have a round head, oval head, pointy head, flat head. etc...it doesnt know if you have a buzz cut or an afro, a ponytail or dreads. it measures the around the brim, it doesnt know if you have high cheekbones and a skinny face, or if you have the cheeks of the staypuff marshmellow man. believe it or not some people have "taller" heads, or shorter ones. there are many factors that go into correct sizing, and a measuring tape alone just isnt enough...maybe someday there will be an android app you connect to a 3d laser scanner and itll know, but until then all you can do just try all of em on.

lets say your head is 60cm...and you line up a couple different helmets from 3 or 4 different brands, each "sized" for 60cm...they wont all fit/feel the same. some may even be so badly shaped for you as to cause a headache or unneeded road fatigue. this is not safe! also...if your helmets bugs you so bad you cant wait to get it off, that means you also cant wait to get off the bike. that is lame! get something you can wear all day!

all the same goes for jackets and other gear too.

you can order things online for YOUR BIKE, because if it says its for your bike and it fits, you can be 99.9999% sure its good to you, but but buying things to fit YOU is a different story.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
shfireman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
1994 Honda VFR750f sold
2002 yzf600r sold
02 r1

Member Garage

i see ur on SE side head over to 2wheeltoyz theyll fix u up
shfireman is offline   Reply With Quote