MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #141
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbr3d View Post
You're arguing that not wearing a helmet does not affect anyone, but it does!

The cost to insure my bike in California (where EVERYTHING is more expensive) was less than half the cost of insurance here.

Also, I'm not a representative of an insurance company, but couldn't not wearing a helmet be looked at as negligence? You're not wearing a helmet, even though you are full aware that it will greatly decrease the chance of personal injury?
Lets ban track riding. That is dangerous. It costs money when people go down.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Gear For ALL vehicles! Do it or Pay! Predator04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-03-2009 09:53 AM
Anyone fly with their safety gear? v4lu3s General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-07-2008 01:34 PM
A bit of cheap riding insurance, safety gear. Diablomann General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-20-2007 07:21 PM
Is A New Safety Gear Regulation??? BusaFlo Safety Corner Main 13 03-08-2007 03:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #142
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

The cost to insure my bike in California (where EVERYTHING is more expensive) was less than half the cost of insurance here.

Also, I'm not a representative of an insurance company, but couldn't not wearing a helmet be looked at as negligence? You're not wearing a helmet, even though you are full aware that it will greatly decrease the chance of personal injury?
Precisely how does a helmet greatly reduce the chance of personal injury?

I'm curious what studies/data you have in regards to frequency of accidents of helmeted riders vs non-helmeted.

The helmet reduces the level/likelyhood of injury to the head, it does nothing to protect any other part of the body.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #143
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:

You don't think that maybe that's because of an entirely different subset of reasons? I assure you, it is not solely due to the lack of a helmet law.

For example, what PART of California? Did you live in a house or an apartment? Did you have a locking garage? What insurance company? The list of reasons goes on and on and on...
Quote:
Also, I'm not a representative of an insurance company, but couldn't not wearing a helmet be looked at as negligence?
How so? You would have to prove that the choice not to wear a helmet was made knowing it would harm another...Oh yeah - you've gotta prove it also actually does harm others.
Quote:
You're not wearing a helmet, even though you are full aware that it will greatly decrease the chance of personal injury?
Ah - so you're talking from an insurance perspective. Fine, let the insurance company make it part of the contract. See? Problem solved - no state involvement - merely a choice.

That gives me the option to choose to deal with an insurance company which requires it, and one which does not.

Believe it or not, the government does not always need to be the direction we turn for a solution.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #144
halfbr3d

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Ah - so you're talking from an insurance perspective. Fine, let the insurance company make it part of the contract. See? Problem solved - no state involvement - merely a choice.

That gives me the option to choose to deal with an insurance company which requires it, and one which does not.
Great idea!

*Edit: I'm not being sarcastic.
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #145
SpeedCheeser
and whiskey

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
LOL, you honestly think that helmetless riders are going to buy coverage? Every rider is licensed too I guess. What's easier to spot, a helmet or a license?

See if you can do a track day without a helmet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stunna View Post
If you think it should not be a law then you are an idiot. seat belts are law, helmets should be too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I think that a helmet should be a requirement to operating a motorcycle. Thats it, and yes since I wear one all the time, I could really care less if it was a law since I believe wholeheartedly that it would be largely a benefit to enact a law since a minor collision can permanently harm someone for life.

Many riders that do not gear up usually do it out of ignorance. (Or feel a large need to fit in with the harley crowd.) Making this into a law I would support, it is not the slippery slope that suddenly there will be no more bikes in general. That is bullshit and sounds like the garbage that is constantly being said on fox news. (different topic)
Quote:
Strong retardism in this thread...

Quote:

If you wanted to actually fix the problem instead of coming up with laws, yes. An insurance company may add stipulations that if they are going to cover you in the case of an accident, you must be wearing a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote View Post
And just because it's your "right" to not wear a helmet, or not against the law, doesn't mean it's not stupid.
And? Some people are stupid. Let them be stupid.

Quote:
Another question, what benefit comes from not wearing a helmet?
That's probably different for different riders. Perhaps some just believe that the feeling of the wind in the hair is worth the added risk. I personally don't find any benefit in it when compared to the risk assumed. However, since I'm not a fascist that wants to force my personal choices and opinions on everyone around me, I leave that decision to the individual. Same with jacket, gloves, boots, etc. I wear all of it when I ride. I'll tell others I don't think it's smart to go without, but they're free to make their decision for themselves. No skin off my back. Literally.
I always thought speedcheeser was a meth head with a fondness for dairy products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
he's a viking accountant. he looks at the bottom line, then he yells at it.
SpeedCheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #146
91stunna
Naked Ninja...sort of.

Bike(s):
2005 Z750S
2007 EX250

Everyone on here seems like they wear a lid anyway, who cares if the Gov't tells them to do something that is already second nature.
91stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #147
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
only if you are under 21

And yea, I support a graduated licensing program as well.
Really?
unless it has changed in the last couple years. ALL are required to wear a helmet UNLESS.
You have applied to the DPS with a form filled out showing you have a certain amount of health insurance, and they then give you a sticker for your bike. Also heard that you can just show the PD a health insureance card to fend off a ticket.
never heard anything about 21 yrs old.
Try going back and forth in kemah without a helmet and see how long it takes before you get pulled over.
Again my 02 as usual
Michael
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #148
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
As I stated in the derailed thread, the cost to society extends beyond medical care.
No it doesnt. You are simply justifying your desire to control by using emotional arguments
Quote:
The emotional cost, as well as financial, to the family left behind must be considered.
No it doesn't. I couldn't give a less and frankly, their emotional issues are not my problem.
Quote:
Perhaps even if not illegal, unless a rider has no family and a death wish, I would say it is extremely selfish to not wear a helmet.
It is not the best choice, no, but who the are you to say what others must do? I could argue that eating {insert your favorite food here} or drinking {insert favorite adult beverage here} or even {insert your favorite act here} are all selfish choices as they have potentially negative consequences for you as well as others. So what? That's life.
Quote:
I don't need a law to tell me that.
Perhaps YOU don't but you see to have no problem telling others they do.
Quote:
But just like those people who are being "harassed" on the HOV lane, people are going to do what they shouldn't. They are gonna let that inspection expire and drive solo on the HOV.
Yep - they sure are, and you know what? They're going to ride without a helmet too regardless of the law.
Quote:
The force of law just gives them incentive to do the right thing.
No it doesn't. It merely provides a penalty when they don't.

If they were going to make an intelligent choice, they would make it regardless of the law.

It isn't illegal for me to drink a bottle of drain cleaner, but I don't need a law to tell me not to make that choice.
Quote:
Like all the millions that smoke dope or drive drunk, laws don't stop foolish behavior.
So on the one hand, you recognize they do nothing to stop foolish behavior, but on the other, advocate for the law saying it will stop foolish behavior?

Pardon me - i need to go find something to wrap around my head to keep it from exploding.
Quote:
But they do help.
Only in your mind my friend. Referring back to those drug laws, illegal drugs are pretty damned easy to obtain - easier I would say than if they were legal. - you can get delivery service on them!
Quote:
And just because it's your "right" to not wear a helmet, or not against the law, doesn't mean it's not stupid.
No argument there. I never said it wasn't a stupid choice. However, when we start dictating the choices which must be made, are we really giving people a choice?

I happen to think voting for politicians who propose nothing but the same old tired solutions which have never worked in the past is pretty stupid, but I would not for one second even consider removing that choice from people.
Quote:
Another question, what benefit comes from not wearing a helmet?
Some people really enjoy the wind in their hair, the feeling of total freedom.

I can't give you any real benefit to getting a other than how it makes me feel, but that's a good enough reason, isn't it?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #149
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

because then they couldnt holla at da ladies on the seawall.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #150
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Everyone on here seems like they wear a lid anyway, who cares if the Gov't tells them to do something that is already second nature.
Try taking a few seconds to READ THE THREAD
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #151
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:

You're riding a bike knowing full well that your chances of being injured or killed are significantly increased vs caging it in a Volvo?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #152
ST675
01101000 01101001

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11
KX80

Quote:
... The emotional cost, as well as financial, to the family left behind must be considered. Perhaps even if not illegal, unless a rider has no family and a death wish, I would say it is extremely selfish to not wear a helmet.
Why must it be considered? their lack of planning now falls in society's hands to fix? why?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #153
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Because some of us care about making the choice on our own rather than having Daddy Government make it for us.

I make all kinds of choices every day that I would make anyway - doesn't mean I want the government telling me to do it.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #154
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by train460 View Post
Really?
unless it has changed in the last couple years. ALL are required to wear a helmet UNLESS.
You have applied to the DPS with a form filled out showing you have a certain amount of health insurance, and they then give you a sticker for your bike. Also heard that you can just show the PD a health insureance card to fend off a ticket.
Try going back and forth in kemah without a helmet and see how long it takes before you get pulled over.
Again my 02 as usual
Michael
Its changed in the last couple years.

Seriously.

Not being a douche. It really has changed.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #155
91stunna
Naked Ninja...sort of.

Bike(s):
2005 Z750S
2007 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Try taking a few seconds to READ THE THREAD
Getting ready for work, dont have time to scroll through 8 pages of guys about how they dont want the gov't to impede on their rights and personal choices over an issue that shouldnt exist in the first place.
91stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #156
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post

You're riding a bike knowing full well that your chances of being injured or killed are significantly increased vs caging it in a Volvo?
Ah - but you see, he KNOWS that is riskier, but he derives pleasure from it while wearing a helmet. What he doesn't comprehend is why others would make different choices and he wants to force them to make the same choices he has.

Typical small-minded self-important thought process...
Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #157
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

List of things that should be banned:

Helmet law advocates
Cats
Tomatoes
Chicks with no /
Scooters
American Idol
NASCAR
Barney Frank
Windows 7
Slow drivers
Retarded people
Green jolly ranchers
Yellow starbursts
Light beer
Jäger bombs (drink it straight you !)
Katie couric
Anderson Cooper
Bill orielly
All reality tv
Cats (again)
Those annoying stickers that people put in the rear windshield of their minivans showing stick figure approximations of their family members
Anthony weiner

Feel free to add your own
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
I might replace you with an orange cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Natural selection just high fived poor judgement.
the_ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #158
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Getting ready for work, dont have time to scroll through 8 pages of guys about how they dont want the gov't to impede on their rights and personal choices over an issue that shouldnt exist in the first place.
Ah - so basically, you're lazy AND stupid, and want to tell others what to do...

You voted for Obama, didn't you?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #159
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Really?
Again my 02 as usual
Michael
CAn you provide the link to that statute?

Now back in the dark ages, you had to be 21 and taken the msf and/or have medical coverage.

Quote:
Q: What Are The Texas Motorcycle Helmet Laws?
A: In Texas, motorcycle riders must wear a helmet if they are under the age of 21. If a motorcycle rider is over the age of 21, has taken a motorcycle training and safety course, and has proof of health insurance, wearing a helmet while riding is optional.
http://www.jrlawfirm.com/faqs/what-a...t-laws.cfm#top
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #160
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

there should be a law
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement