MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #41
cychotic
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Gear For ALL vehicles! Do it or Pay! Predator04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-03-2009 09:53 AM
Anyone fly with their safety gear? v4lu3s General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-07-2008 01:34 PM
A bit of cheap riding insurance, safety gear. Diablomann General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-20-2007 07:21 PM
Is A New Safety Gear Regulation??? BusaFlo Safety Corner Main 13 03-08-2007 03:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
FKNA

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadseasoN View Post
Everyone eats, it's not optional. Not everyone drives.

Funny though.
But everyone that drives I would venture to say that they eat. Therefore what Madseason stated is definitely applicable.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #43
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
Problem is the government pays for it then, which means we all do.

The actual law should say. Motorcyclists found to be riding without a helmet receive no medical attention.
Which government entity runs life flight? or memorial hermann hospitals?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #44
MadseasoN

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
1. Then you must be an advocate for a law that requires FULL FACED HELMET.
2. Not wearing a helmet doesn't effect those driving around me. Your #1 argument is weak at best.
3. My insurance costs go up because of people eating fried chicken. Which reminds me, you never answered my question about the fried chicken.
4. So what if they're dead? It was THEIR choice. I know many people that are dead now as a direct result of their diet. See #3
5. It is NOT the governments job to protect a citizen from themselves. If you think that, then you are sadly misinformed.
6. Being there is no good reason why one shouldn't and whether or not it should be law are two totally different things.
1. Yes
2. Yes it does and I explained how, both on and off the roadway.
3. Reason comes into play at some point. You can't legislate how people eat (which is a physiological need). You CAN make traffic laws.
4. 3. + crackheads have a choice too. Should we make crack legal?
5. That's not what I said. I said it's the (a) responsibility of the gov to protect it's citizens. Actually 'promote the general welfare' is a better choice of words. The Constitution agrees.
6. But we're talking about a traffic law. We all know (yes, know) that your chances of a severe head injury are less if you're wearing a helmet.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #45
cychotic
Banned

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #46
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
1. Yes
2. Yes it does and I explained how, both on and off the roadway.
3. Reason comes into play at some point. You can't legislate how people eat (which is a physiological need). You CAN make traffic laws.
4. 3. + crackheads have a choice too. Should we make crack legal?
5. That's not what I said. I said it's the (a) responsibility of the gov to protect it's citizens. Actually 'promote the general welfare' is a better choice of words. The Constitution agrees.
6. But we're talking about a traffic law. We all know (yes, know) that your chances of a severe head injury are less if you're wearing a helmet.
1. So if I'm understanding you correctly, if I'm riding my cruiser you want to take MY choice away from me to choose to wear a 3/4 helmet? But instead you want to IMPOSE YOUR CHOICES upon ME???
2. I said enough on this one.
3. Why can't you legislate how people eat? It's simple, pass a law that bans all fried foods (all foods that are bad for you for that matter).
4. Yes, we should. Legalize all drugs
5. Promote and legislate have two different meanings.
6. A person in a motorcycle accident is 16 times more likely to meet their demise than someone in a car. With those kind of stats, might as well ban motorcycles all together.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #47
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
I think my quote is quite fitting for you then.

Its chock full of wisdom.
Oh there you go. Now you've convinced me. Since you're so wise can you start making all of my decisions for me?

I think people who seek to legislate the decisions of others should be shot, but you don't see me calling for a law that makes that happen.

An idiot is an idiot. No amount of legislation can change that. If you're not smart enough to wear a helmet on your own, then being forced to wear one not make you any safer. Your bad decisions will catch up with you one way or another.

Stop trying to protect stupid people from their stupidity, and leave responsible adults free to make their own decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
I might replace you with an orange cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Natural selection just high fived poor judgement.
the_ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #48
jimmy the gent
wich u gon do?

Experience: 7 years

If cars are so much safer than a motorcycle then why allow people to ride them at all?
jimmy the gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #49
MadseasoN

Quote:
1. So if I'm understanding you correctly, if I'm riding my cruiser you want to take MY choice away from me to choose to wear a 3/4 helmet? But instead you want to IMPOSE YOUR CHOICES upon ME???
2. I said enough on this one.
3. Why can't you legislate how people eat? It's simple, pass a law that bans all fried foods (all foods that are bad for you for that matter).
4. Yes, we should. Legalize all drugs
5. Promote and legislate have two different meanings.
6. A person in a motorcycle accident is 16 times more likely to meet their demise than someone in a car. With those kind of stats, might as well ban motorcycles all together.
I'll sum it up with one statement so we can cut it short:

If you want to drive/ride on PUBLIC roadways then you'll have to follow the rules that the PUBLIC has set forth. That's the bottom line. No need to get philosophical.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #50
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
I'll sum it up with one statement so we can cut it short:

If you want to drive/ride on PUBLIC roadways then you'll have to follow the rules that the PUBLIC has set forth. That's the bottom line. No need to get philosophical.
I'd take private ownership of roads over allowing the public to make my decisions any day.

Let idiots die if they want to, fewer of them to deal with.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #51
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus View Post

Stop trying to protect stupid people from their stupidity, and leave responsible adults free to make their own decisions.
Nothing more needs to be said.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #52
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
It's not all about danger but off the top of my head here ya go:
1. You get hit in the head/eye by something. You lose control of the bike. Your bike is now a 400lb moving roadblock.
2. Everyone participates in traffic and what you do effects the people behind/around you for miles. See #1.
3. Contrary to OP's opinion about medical costs, my/our insurance costs are higher because some other biker knocked himself retarded from not wearing a helmet.
4. There are idiots out there who don't wear a helmet because "it aint da law". Some of them are dead now. I knew at least 1 of them.
5. The government (the people) have the responsibility to make laws to protect it's citizens. Traffic laws aren't not a product of "big brother". Driving is a licensed activity. If you want to do it then you have to follow the rules even if you don't like it.
6. Back to my original comment - there's no good reason why you shouldn't.
1> Something flies up in your helmet under the visor or hits you in the face (non full face helmet), or there was a bug hidden in your helmet... we can go forever with 'what ifs'.

Try providing statistics of accidents caused by riders not wearing helmets vs those wearing helmets.

2> See #1, hence a non factor.

3> again provide data proving non helmeted riders have obversely impacted your insurance/medical rates vs helmeted riders AND other causes/factors.

4> There are a lot more idiots involved in accidents due to in short, riding/driving like idiots. If survival is 'better' with a helmet, then it would be more the helmeted idiots vs the non-helmeted ones adversly impacting your insurance/medical.

5> The government is to protect the populace from foreign and domestic threat. It is NOT it's place to play mommy/daddy/grandparent.

6> There is no good reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, jump off a bridge tethered with a huge rubber band either. There's a horde of things that can be claimed as 'no good reason' to do.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #53
MadseasoN

Quote:
Nothing more needs to be said.
The problem is that EVERYONE thinks of themselves as 'responsible'. I'll leave with the following. I know it's aviation related but I think it applies since I've seen 3, maybe 4, of them in this thread.

------
Research has identified five hazardous attitudes that can affect a pilot’s judgment, ADM (Aeronautical Decision Making) addresses the following:

1. Anti-authority (“Don’t tell me!”). This attitude is found in people who do not like anyone telling them what to do. They may be resentful of having someone tell them what to do or may regard rules, regulations, and procedures as silly or unnecessary.
2. Impulsivity (“Do something quickly!”). This attitude is found in people who frequently feel the need to do something— anything—immediately. They do not stop to think about what they are about to do, they do not select the best alternative, and they do the first thing that comes to mind.
3. Invulnerability (“It won’t happen to me!”). Many people feel that accidents happen to others, but never to them. They know accidents can happen, and they know that anyone can be affected. They never really feel or believe that they will be personally involved. Pilots who think this way are more likely to take chances and increase risk.
4. Macho (“I can do it!”). Pilots who are always trying to prove that they are better than anyone else are thinking, “I can do it—I’ll show them.” Pilots with this type of attitude will try to prove themselves by taking risks in order to impress others. This pattern is characteristic in both men and women.
5. Resignation (“What’s the use?”). These pilots do not see themselves as being able to make a great deal of difference in what happens to them. When things go well, the pilot is apt to think it is due to good luck. When things go badly, the pilot may feel that someone is out to get them, or attribute it to bad luck. The pilot will leave the action to others, for better or worse. Sometimes, such pilots will even go along with unreasonable requests just to be a “nice guy.”
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #54
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
The problem is that EVERYONE thinks of themselves as 'responsible'.
Let people figure out what responsible is on their own.

Too stupid to wear a helmet = Too stupid not to pull out in front of a truck.

An idiot on a bike will most likely end up dead, helmet or not.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #55
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus View Post
Let people figure out what responsible is on their own.

Too stupid to wear a helmet = Too stupid not to pull out in front of a truck.

An idiot on a bike will most likely end up dead, helmet or not.
Yeah, we could. We could always do away with licenses. No training required, etc. Just let people figure it out on their own.

Accidents happen. Being prepared in case of an accident (gear) is the responsible thing to do.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #56
timistim
Server Adm¡n¡strator

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

The government should only make laws that help protect people. People should be allowed to make their own choices as long as they don't harm anyone else. It is very hard to argue that riding with a helmet makes riding any safer for others. The best argument is that a helmet can block something from flying in your eye. However couldn't someone just wear glasses/goggles then?

I always wear my seatbelt, however I would fight tooth and nail for others right not to wear one. I always wear gear when I ride, however I would fight tooth and nail for people to not wear gear if that is their choice. Life is way too short to not live it the way you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #57
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
Yeah, we could. We could always do away with licenses. No training required, etc. Just let people figure it out on their own.
There's already a thread for that conversation.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=licensing

Quote:
Accidents happen. Being prepared in case of an accident (gear) is the responsible thing to do.
You're absolutely right, but no law can or will force people to be responsible. All it will do is create one more regulation for those of us who are already responsible to deal with. Just as I've already stated; a helmet cannot save an irresponsible person from their own irresponsibility.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by the_ruckus; 06-13-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #58
NgaWhat

Bike(s):
Gsxr 600

Quote:
NO!!! It should NOT be law. As an adult I should be allowed to make decisions that effect my well being, NOT the government. There is ZERO justification on why it should be law.
we just had this discussion for like 5 minutes in biology class....yup, someone brought it up because there was a small topic on politics with the teacher before he began his lecture

the question that was brought up was

"Why does the government force people to wear seat belts and but they do not do the same for helmets for motorcyclist?"
NgaWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #59
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
I think you choose your own fate......I chose mine and when I went down this weekend I was glad that I always wear full gear. My fullface is trash now but I wouldnt ride without it. My 2 pennies.....Just happy to be kicking still!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #60
kyote

Bike(s):
'01 Ninja 250

To those who oppose helmet laws answer me one question directly.

Who does a helmet law harm? How?

I'm not talking about the slippery slope responses. I'm not talking about the gubment banning fried chicken or motorcycling in general. Plain and simple, who does it harm and how?
kyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement