MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
What kind of facts do you want? I have plenty of them.
1) I'm an adult
2) I have wrecked with and without helmets
3) I can make decisions for myself by myself
4) Our form of government was not set up to be a nanny state
5) I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time

What more facts do you need in order to form an opinion on whether or not there should be a law requiring the use of a helmet to operate a motorcycle?
go read the comment of the OP that health insurance is a red herring and my first reply and you will understand...
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Gear For ALL vehicles! Do it or Pay! Predator04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-03-2009 09:53 AM
Anyone fly with their safety gear? v4lu3s General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-07-2008 01:34 PM
A bit of cheap riding insurance, safety gear. Diablomann General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-20-2007 07:21 PM
Is A New Safety Gear Regulation??? BusaFlo Safety Corner Main 13 03-08-2007 03:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
Nightster Ridester
Holmes Hot Rods & Cycles

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1975 Harley Ironhead

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus View Post
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin
He was not talking about Vehicle safety, db lol

-Harley Davidson is The Original Gangster
Nightster Ridester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #23
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Oh , gtfo out with BF quotes.

OMG, look I can google quotes as well

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post
Oh , gtfo out with BF quotes.

OMG, look I can google quotes as well

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
It's not about who made the statement; it's about the wisdom expressed within the words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
I might replace you with an orange cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Natural selection just high fived poor judgement.
the_ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Give me a good reason why helmets shouldn't be required. The "I'm a big boy and I can determine what's best for me" doesn't hold water.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

I think my quote is quite fitting for you then.

Its chock full of wisdom.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #27
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadseasoN View Post
Give me a good reason why helmets shouldn't be required. The "I'm a big boy and I can determine what's best for me" doesn't hold water.
It doesn't? Then you should agree that fried chicken should be banned. Am I correct in that assumption?
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #28
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Quote:
Because the gubermentz will suddenly decide that they could get away with helmet laws, and start coming after bikers... and then dogs sleeping with cats, utter pandemonium.

Quote:
It doesn't? Then you should agree that fried chicken should be banned. Am I correct in that assumption?
No, because its delicious. What harm would really come of a law saying you need to wear a helmet? really.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper View Post
go read the comment of the OP that health insurance is a red herring and my first reply and you will understand...
Gotcha.....I understand.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
MadseasoN

Quote:
Traffic laws are not about what the individual thinks he's capable of. If you sit 100 people down in a room and ask the good drivers to raise their hands then 90 of them would do so. We all know that ratio would be false.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #31
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Traffic laws are not about what the individual thinks he's capable of. If you sit 100 people down in a room and ask the good drivers to raise their hands then 90 of them would do so. We all know that ratio would be false.
How does NOT wearing a helmet put ANYONE in danger other than the person that chooses not to wear a helmet?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #32
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Everyone should be forced to eat Tofu, because unhealthy foods can cause a heart attack and disable you, or kill you. Resulting in the government having to support your family or disability.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #33
MadseasoN

Quote:
How does NOT wearing a helmet put ANYONE in danger other than the person that chooses not to wear a helmet?
It's not all about danger but off the top of my head here ya go:
1. You get hit in the head/eye by something. You lose control of the bike. Your bike is now a 400lb moving roadblock.
2. Everyone participates in traffic and what you do effects the people behind/around you for miles. See #1.
3. Contrary to OP's opinion about medical costs, my/our insurance costs are higher because some other biker knocked himself retarded from not wearing a helmet.
4. There are idiots out there who don't wear a helmet because "it aint da law". Some of them are dead now. I knew at least 1 of them.
5. The government (the people) have the responsibility to make laws to protect it's citizens. Traffic laws aren't not a product of "big brother". Driving is a licensed activity. If you want to do it then you have to follow the rules even if you don't like it.
6. Back to my original comment - there's no good reason why you shouldn't.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #34
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Quote:
1. You get hit in the head/eye by something. You lose control of the bike. Your bike is now a 400lb moving roadblock.
2. Everyone participates in traffic and what you do effects the people behind/around you for miles. See #1.
3. Contrary to OP's opinion about medical costs, my/our insurance costs are higher because some other biker knocked himself retarded from not wearing a helmet.
4. There are idiots out there who don't wear a helmet because "it aint da law". Some of them are dead now. I knew at least 1 of them.
5. The government (the people) have the responsibility to make laws to protect it's citizens. Traffic laws aren't not a product of "big brother". Driving is a licensed activity. If you want to do it then you have to follow the rules even if you don't like it.
1. If you have a heart attack while riding, you lose control of your bike. Your bike is now a 400 lb. moving roadblock.
2. Everyone participates in traffic and what you do effects the people behind/around you for miles, so if you are a fat slob you may not be able to see as much and may get too tired too quickly while riding.
3. Contrary to the OP's opinion about medical costs, obesity and heart failure causes my insurance to be higher.
4. There are idiots out there who dont eat tofu because "it aint da law". Some of them are dead now.
5. The government (the people) has a responsibility to make laws to protect its' citizens. Diet laws shouldn't be a product of "big brother". Infact eating should be a licensed activity.
6. Back to my original comment - there's no good reason why you shouldn't be forced by the goverment to eat healthy.

TOFU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tofu-nutrition-blocks.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	45928  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #35
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
1. If you have a heart attack while riding, you lose control of your bike. Your bike is now a 400 lb. moving roadblock.
2. Everyone participates in traffic and what you do effects the people behind/around you for miles, so if you are a fat slob you may not be able to see as much and may get too tired too quickly while riding.
3. Contrary to the OP's opinion about medical costs, obesity and heart failure causes my insurance to be higher.
4. There are idiots out there who dont eat tofu because "it aint da law". Some of them are dead now.
5. The government (the people) has a responsibility to make laws to protect its' citizens. Diet laws shouldn't be a product of "big brother". Infact eating should be a licensed activity.
6. Back to my original comment - there's no good reason why you shouldn't be forced by the goverment to eat healthy.

TOFU
Everyone eats, it's not optional. Not everyone drives.

Funny though.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #36
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
1. Then you must be an advocate for a law that requires FULL FACED HELMET.
2. Not wearing a helmet doesn't effect those driving around me. Your #1 argument is weak at best.
3. My insurance costs go up because of people eating fried chicken. Which reminds me, you never answered my question about the fried chicken.
4. So what if they're dead? It was THEIR choice. I know many people that are dead now as a direct result of their diet. See #3
5. It is NOT the governments job to protect a citizen from themselves. If you think that, then you are sadly misinformed.
6. Being there is no good reason why one shouldn't and whether or not it should be law are two totally different things.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #37
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Quote:
Everyone eats, it's not optional. Not everyone drives.

Funny though.
Actually liquid diets are viable.

As is intravenous dieting.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #38
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

There should be no law requiring you to wear a helmet or any other safety gear. However your medical insurer should have the option to NOT cover injuries when not wearing safety gear, for example not covering a head injury when you were not wearing a helmet. An insurer should not have to cover you for YOUR failure to reduce risk.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #39
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Bike(s):
----------------------

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
There should be no law requiring you to wear a helmet or any other safety gear. However your medical insurer should have the option to NOT cover injuries when not wearing safety gear, for example not covering a head injury when you were not wearing a helmet. An insurer should not have to cover you for YOUR failure to reduce risk.
Problem is the government pays for it then, which means we all do.

The actual law should say. Motorcyclists found to be riding without a helmet receive no medical attention.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #40
trumindgame
Rowdy Riders @ UTSA

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Sv 1000s 2k7
WTB 08 Blk/Orange Busa

Quote:
NO!!! It should NOT be law. As an adult I should be allowed to make decisions that effect my well being, NOT the government. There is ZERO justification on why it should be law.
So should u be able to drive a car with out a seat belt also then?

Advertisement