Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
Grimace

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
very true.... but a helmet law would go further to correcting that problem more so than a "cooler" looking full face
Sorry Dude, I'm personally sick and tired of the government forcing it's citizens to conform to standards for their own personal well being. I'd like to make my own choices in that regard thank you very much. It is a far cry from taking someone's ability to make their own choices regarding safety and having the market provide an appealing alternative for specific groups within the population to increase the use of products that make their lives safer.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider Downed! 2/20/2011 Deadfred General Discussion (Moto Related) 284 02-24-2011 07:26 AM
A favor for a downed rider. Orion85 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-13-2008 03:15 PM
Downed Rider on the Sat. 7/26 Forest Ride: Thank you MotoHouston!!! Yamaha Dave General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 07-31-2008 03:12 PM
SE MnG / fundraiser for downed rider. JOKER Events, Meets and Rides 7 05-03-2008 11:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Sorry Dude, I'm personally sick and tired of the government forcing it's citizens to conform to standards for their own personal well being. I'd like to make my own choices in that regard thank you very much. It is a far cry from taking someone's ability to make their own choices regarding safety and having the market provide an appealing alternative for specific groups within the population to increase the use of products that make their lives safer.

you can't about taxes going to peoples medical bills and cry freedom at the same time. I look at helmets with the same safety standards as seat belts.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
NitroHonda
Deaf

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
I think that a lot of people just want to live their lives with as much freedom as possible, especially in the MC world, but just don't get the concept of trying to reduce the risks of taking risks...
No. It is all about being a rebel. This "ride free" or "loud pipes save lives" bullshit is old and tired. Everybody wants to be an outlaw.

It was amazing to be able to spot how many ROT rally riders were obviously new to the world of motorcycling... Folks who'd spent a lifetime of savings on a commercialized "false" dream. So they roll in on their shiny, bugless rented bikes... They are stubbornly sold on following through with it. And why not? Easy Rider was that great of a movie... so they try to live that life in a weekend.

It is the same problem that the sportbike community has with our young'uns strapping their lids to the side of the bike. Inexperience runs rampant at three stages in the average person's life... early 20's - midlife crisis - newly retired.

I won't be hating on the sheeple being led to the slaughterhouse. RIP to all of our fallen riders just the same.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Grimace

Quote:
you can't about taxes going to peoples medical bills and cry freedom at the same time. I look at helmets with the same safety standards as seat belts.
Yes I can. The system needs to be changed where tax payers don't have to pay for other people's bad choices. Of course, that's a pipe dream unless this country goes through an extreme change.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #25
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Exactly. It's bad habits that get people killed. I'm not uncomfortable wearing my helmet at all. Even when its hot.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #26
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
No. It is all about being a rebel. This "ride free" or "loud pipes save lives" bullshit is old and tired. Everybody wants to be an outlaw.

It was amazing to be able to spot how many ROT rally riders were obviously new to the world of motorcycling... Folks who'd spent a lifetime of savings on a commercialized "false" dream. So they roll in on their shiny, bugless rented bikes... They are stubbornly sold on following through with it. And why not? Easy Rider was that great of a movie... so they try to live that life in a weekend.

It is the same problem that the sportbike community has with our young'uns strapping their lids to the side of the bike. Inexperience runs rampant at three stages in the average person's life... early 20's - midlife crisis - newly retired.

I won't be hating on the sheeple being led to the slaughterhouse. RIP to all of our fallen riders just the same.
Being a "rebel" and an outlaw are not necessarily the same thing. If I don't want to conform to society's status quo, but don't actually break any laws, I could still legitimately be considered a "rebel", and the choice to do so should never be taken away. I don't think it is a hard concept to understand that taking risks are often fun and/or provide a thrill, but the consequences can so often be underestimated.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Being a "rebel" and an outlaw are not necessarily the same thing. If I don't want to conform to society's status quo, but don't actually break any laws, I could still legitimately be considered a "rebel", and the choice to do so should never be taken away. I don't think it is a hard concept to understand that taking risks are often fun and/or provide a thrill, but the consequences can so often be underestimated.
Yet people are dropping like flies out there...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #28
Grimace

Quote:
Yet people are dropping like flies out there...
Your not making any sense to me, since you appear to be arguing but your statement doesn't contradict my statement. Tell you what, I'll just blame it on me and converse with someone else that I can more effectively communicate with. Sorry for all the big words, not trying to show off. I think I'm getting a little manic.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #29
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Your not making any sense to me, since you appear to be arguing but your statement doesn't contradict my statement. Tell you what, I'll just blame it on me and converse with someone else that I can more effectively communicate with. Sorry for all the big words, not trying to show off. I think I'm getting a little manic.
images 7
Old 06-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
Grimace

Quote:
images 7
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #31
mightymouse1

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

the rider was flown to utmb er. condition unknown.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
M@tt
Platinum Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Was in Galveston this weekend lots of riders with no gear.

-Thunderbolt
Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #33
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

I would support a helmet law returning.

sometimes people need a law just for their own good ie: seatbelt laws.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #34
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tt View Post
Was in Galveston this weekend lots of riders with no gear.

-Thunderbolt
Been in this hospital all week....

This place blows!
VicTOEmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #35
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Encouragement is the way to go on so many things, helmets especially. Trying to tell people "you have to ____" usually just puts people on the defensive. We've tried the helmet law, and what I saw was large numbers of pudding cups - halfshell helmets that neither cover the likely impact areas nor have any real protection value. This was simply the lawmakers saying "well, we made a law. Happy now?". I say, it didn't work.

Now, take Billy Bob Biker at the Bar. Should he show up and see his fellow Harley riders wearing full face helmets, in black 'n orange with HD logos, eagle icons and whatnot - guess what, now Billy Bob wants one too. It's what all the rebels and outlaws are doing thesedays, right?

Peer pressure will do what "them stinkin' rules from those yazoos up on capit'l hill" won't.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #36
Grimace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Encouragement is the way to go on so many things, helmets especially. Trying to tell people "you have to ____" usually just puts people on the defensive. We've tried the helmet law, and what I saw was large numbers of pudding cups - halfshell helmets that neither cover the likely impact areas nor have any real protection value. This was simply the lawmakers saying "well, we made a law. Happy now?". I say, it didn't work.

Now, take Billy Bob Biker at the Bar. Should he show up and see his fellow Harley riders wearing full face helmets, in black 'n orange with HD logos, eagle icons and whatnot - guess what, now Billy Bob wants one too. It's what all the rebels and outlaws are doing thesedays, right?

Peer pressure will do what "them stinkin' rules from those yazoos up on capit'l hill" won't.
Don't know who the you are, but fine post sir
Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #37
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post

Unfortunately peer pressure works both ways and as current flows where it has the least resistance, so to do the Billy Bob Bikers out there. I believe that what people wear to protect them selves is based on an epiphany, thought of self preservation, self worth, upbringing and to an extent peer pressure.
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! Santa Claus: You'll shoot your eye out, kid. Isn't that what happened.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #38
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post

We don't need any more best interest laws. Where does it stop?
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
Grimace

The very bottom line here is that if your not intelligent enough to take advantage of certain safety measures, such as wearing a helmet, it is on you! Unless you are completely retarded, the individual MUST have some kind of idea that their head isn't harder than pavement. It makes me sick to my stomach that people feel like it is the government's job to be a life coach. WTF ever happened to personal responsibility for oneself.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_GT View Post

+1

And I hate it that it has come to this. I do not like being in a nanny state but I am tired of seeing people not realizing the potential severity of their actions. Just because I and Grimace understand it... it doesn't mean others do. Not too many folks get on a bike with the intent of crashing. It just takes one crash to end it all.

I even thought I was invincible at one time. I only had on a helmet and jeans for years. It wasn't until I came to MotoHouston a few years ago that I even thought twice about gear. I used to incorrectly think that the fellas wearing gear just wanted race and I didn't want to be that guy. I love racing but I have never raced on the street other than a few quick bursts with my dad. I admittedly ride fast but I do all of that solo when I feel it to be safer. I dont like jail too much. The point is... I saw no need for a jacket or gloves since I didn't race on the streets.

Thanks to MotoHouston for getting some gear on me before it was too late. 11 yrs gearless/5 yrs geared up.

Advertisement