MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
AznGoneNuts

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 R6

Send a message via AIM to AznGoneNuts
WOW 110k miles on a bike

thats insane http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/214998993.html im curious now how many miles can you put on a bike before it craps out on you. even if you keep up with the maintence?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wow.. My Apartment Gate: 1 - My Bike: 0 acjei General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 10-17-2012 02:55 PM
you wouldnt want to own this bike, WOW! bb4lif General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 09-27-2010 04:50 PM
Wow... wish I'd have kept my first bike... cedestech General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-07-2010 04:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
bikerboyz

im prety sure he went throw like 2 engines allready
bikerboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
A303

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
nice someone that beat me
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

My uncle has 96,000 on his goldwing. Original motor.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i knew a guy who said that he had a 85 or 86 VFR1000. 200k+ miles and he said it ran great, could be bullshit, but i know for a fact my boss has a valkyrie with 86k and it has no problems at all.

everyone has this misconception that all sportbikes are dead after 30k, i dont know where the that came from. it may be possible most idiots prefer to buy sportbikes over other types, and it would make sense that most idiots bikes arent well maintained, and most of the major maintence would be left to get pawned off on the next owner. i guess alot of stuff coule be due as far as maintenance around 30k.

from what i know about bikes, i would guess they could last a of alot more than 100k, if properly maintained. keep in mind that over time you will have to replace major components here and there, but i cant imagine it just dieing all the sudden for no reason if it is properly maintained.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

I had 136,000 miles on my 00' 929RR with original motor. Honda motors last a very long time.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
level5
moving chicane

any engine that is water cooled will last a long time. When these bikes get up to about 50K miles, head gasket tend to break apart due to high revving and racing but for normal riding, it would last a long time.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #8
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
any engine that is water cooled will last a long time. When these bikes get up to about 50K miles, head gasket tend to break apart due to high revving and racing but for normal riding, it would last a long time.
uhmm no.............also air cooled engines last a long time too. this thread has quite a few misconceptions in it.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
uhmm no.............also air cooled engines last a long time too. this thread has quite a few misconceptions in it.
Not as long as water cooled for what I have seen.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #10
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Not as long as water cooled for what I have seen.
Doesn't matter how it is cooled. What matters is oil changes and proper maint.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
Doesn't matter how it is cooled. What matters is oil changes and proper maint.
Without proper maintenance, water cooled is better IMO. With proper maintenance and all, these things will go forever until your money or gas runs out.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
level5
moving chicane

Take a look around, vehicles that is air cooled is turning into water cooled. High horsepower vehicle required water to cool it down fast unless you like riding mopeds. Even Harley is turning to water cooled engine.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Send a message via AIM to Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee_dragger
I had 136,000 miles on my 00' 929RR with original motor. Honda motors last a very long time.
hey! whats your name? i knew a guy that had 100k miles on his 929, original motor
im a beliver in honda bikes :icon_bigg iv beaten the out of them over the years and they still keep coming back for more :icon_smil

Last edited by Max; 10-07-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typeo
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
paniro187

Quote:
Take a look around, vehicles that is air cooled is turning into water cooled. High horsepower vehicle required water to cool it down fast unless you like riding mopeds. Even Harley is turning to water cooled engine.
because of up coming emissions if i'm not mistaken.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
Gigolo Jason

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

Quote:
Any piece of machinery that is well designed and properly maintained will last a long time.

Quote:
Without proper maintenance, water cooled is better IMO. With proper maintenance and all, these things will go forever until your money or gas runs out.
Incorrect. Without proper maintenance, water cooled engines will corrode from the inside out causing over heating and failure. Air cooled/oil cooled engines lack the extra maintenance that is required on water cooled engines. They do not have radiators, cooling hoses, water pumps, and internal water jackets that can wear out, rust, rot, and break.

Quote:
Take a look around, vehicles that is air cooled is turning into water cooled.
There are several reasons why water cooled engines are more prevelant. Water cooled engines are cheaper to manufacture, their emissions control systems are also cheaper and easer to manufacture.

Air cooled engines are easier to maintain but cost more to develope and to produce.

Quote:
High horsepower vehicle required water to cool it down fast unless you like riding mopeds.
Incorrect. Higher horsepower cars do not require water cooling. Ask any Porsche mechanic or aircraft mechanic, they will set you strait.

I got this from Bosch Automotive Handbook, 4th edition, page 398

"Direct cooling
Direct air cooling removes hear directly from the components. The underlying principle is based on intensive air flow, usually through a finned surface. Although primarily used in motorcycle and aircraft engines, this form of cooling is also employed for some passenger-car and commercial-vehicle diesel and spark ignition engines. Its main advantage it its high reliability and freedom from maintenance. On the negative side, the design measures required to ensure efficient heat dissipation to the cooling air increase the cost of the components."
Gigolo Jason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #16
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Jason
Any piece of machinery that is well designed and properly maintained will last a long time.

Incorrect. Without proper maintenance, water cooled engines will corrode from the inside out causing over heating and failure. Air cooled/oil cooled engines lack the extra maintenance that is required on water cooled engines. They do not have radiators, cooling hoses, water pumps, and internal water jackets that can wear out, rust, rot, and break.

There are several reasons why water cooled engines are more prevelant. Water cooled engines are cheaper to manufacture, their emissions control systems are also cheaper and easer to manufacture.

Air cooled engines are easier to maintain but cost more to develope and to produce.

Incorrect. Higher horsepower cars do not require water cooling. Ask any Porsche mechanic or aircraft mechanic, they will set you strait.

I got this from Bosch Automotive Handbook, 4th edition, page 398

"Direct cooling
Direct air cooling removes hear directly from the components. The underlying principle is based on intensive air flow, usually through a finned surface. Although primarily used in motorcycle and aircraft engines, this form of cooling is also employed for some passenger-car and commercial-vehicle diesel and spark ignition engines. Its main advantage it its high reliability and freedom from maintenance. On the negative side, the design measures required to ensure efficient heat dissipation to the cooling air increase the cost of the components."

son you got served!!! :laughing6

i agree every bit with jason
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Just look at the old flat 4 vw engines. Those things are out there in the millions. Air cooled and run forever.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
Just look at the old flat 4 vw engines. Those things are out there in the millions. Air cooled and run forever.
skippy, there are many aircooled aircraft engines out there still flying reliable
Old 10-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #19
Gigolo Jason

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
skippy, there are many aircooled aircraft engines out there still flying reliable
Still flying? They are still being designed, specked and made.

Jet turbine engines are a type of combustion engine that don't use water for cooling either, and they made huge amounts of power.
Gigolo Jason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #20
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Jason

How do you know which new machine is well designed? The answer to this is only comes with times. Well designed is the key word. Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha which is better in design?

Antifreeze that protect corrosion up to 100k miles

Definitely not cheaper in production.

Air cooled are easier to maintain.

Older aircraft are air cooled because of lack of technology. Don't see any more of those do you? Okay, maybe at museum.
This is why all Porsche that is air cooled is antique and outdated. Newer Porsche are much faster and better. Have you see any old porsche outpowered the new one? Why? Better design with water cooled.I got this from Bosch Automotive Handbook, 4th edition, page 398

"Direct cooling
If air cooling directly at the engine like airplane then it is good. If it hides behind a wall of metal then it is a piece of .