Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
TxVrod

Feedback Rating: (0)

Squids on SS's aren't only ones who pull stupid s**t!

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...s/15692516.htm

Linda Shaw said she's never seen anything like it in two decades of riding motorcycles.

"I've been ridin' for 20 years and I got spooked tonight - big time," she said after witnessing a two-motorcycle crash behind the Dog House Bar and Grill, 607 S. Kings Highway, about 6 p.m. Thursday.

A 50-year-old Hilton Head woman was seriously injured when the two motorcycles wrecked, police report.

With tens of thousands of bikers in town this weekend for the The Pilgrimage - the area's third big bike rally of the year, public safety officials are reminding motorists to exercise extra caution.

Shaw and her husband, Chris, both of Roanoke, Va., are among the out-of-town bikers in Myrtle Beach for the rally.

She said she knew the woman was hurt badly as soon as she got near her.

"She didn't know her name," Shaw said. "She was unconscious at first. She was out of it."

Chris Shaw, who said he has some emergency responder training, made sure the woman, whose name was unavailable late Thursday, was stabilized and wouldn't move.

According to Investigator Jim Allen of the Myrtle Beach Police Department, the wreck happened when a 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic popped a wheelie when pulling into the parking lot.

Allen said when the bike came down, its front tire landed on the back of a Big Dog motorcycle in front of it.

He said there was a male driver and a female passenger on each bike and all four were knocked off.

Allen said none of the riders wore helmets, which S.C. law does not require for riders over the age of 21.

The most serious victim, the Hilton Head woman, was taken by helicopter that landed at an abandoned theater at South King's Highway and 17th Avenue South to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, Allen said.

Her condition was unavailable at 10 p.m. Thursday.

He said she suffered serious injuries, but he did not believe they were life-threatening.

"She was up and talking to me in the ambulance," the investigator said.

Allen said the driver of the Harley Davidson, whose name, age and hometown were not immediately available late Thursday, was cited for reckless driving.

Allen said the man drove himself to the hospital with a minor shoulder injury.

The woman on the back of the Big Dog was taken to the hospital with minor injuries, as was its driver, who broke his wrist.

Myrtle Beach police responded to four motorcycle-involved crashes Thursday, the 6 p.m. wreck being the most serious, he said.

As the city looks forward to the weekend's rally, public safety officials said bikers and motorists in multi-axle vehicles alike should be vigilant and share the road with care.

Senior Trooper Sonny Collins, of the South Carolina Highway Patrol, said Thursday that two main causes underlie most motorcycle-involved crashes: speed on the motorcycle side, and other vehicles failing to yield the right of way to oncoming bikes.

He said there are two simple pieces of advice motorists can follow:

"We ask motorcycles to travel at or below the posted speed limits, and cars need to make sure they judge the speeds of oncoming motorcycles carefully before pulling out into an intersection," Collins said.
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote