MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
DonV09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Send a message via Yahoo to DonV09
HELP! GS500F with ceased engine

Hello Im Donovan
I bought a 2005 GS500F about a month ago and engine has already ceased.

FULL Detail:started up my bike one morning and let her warm up. as it was warming i notice a loud clicking sound coming from up under the handle bars. i didnt think much of it so i got on and made it about 6 blocks, i notice a strong smell of something burning looked down and notice some smoke rising from up under the handle bars. The bike shuts down and rear locks up. I have the bike taken to Stubbs 59(still dont know if it was a wise choice) and hers exactly what they told me after checking the bike out

"MOTOR HAD ABOUT 1/2 QT OF OIL. WHAT OIL CAME OUT OF IT WAS BURNED AND NO GOOD. ENGINE CEASED DUE TO LACK OF ENGINE OIL. ENGINE WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED. WILL NEED NEW CRANKSHAFT AND BEARING, CONNECTING RODS AND BEARINGS, PISTONS, RINGS AND GASKETS.

PARTS-1648.59
LABOR-900.00
TAX-136.00
ROUGH TOTAL-2700"

they also told me i could just buy a used motor and just swap it out.

is it worth going with the total of what stubbs want???

a mechanic told me to unplug the spark plugs put it in 5th gear and spin the back tire OR push it and see if the motor turns. if the motor turns theres a chance at saving the engine and all i would need is an engine repair kit and a piston kit. How much of this is true?

is it worth getting the engine rebuilt?

i found a 1997 GS500E motor for 600. im not sure if itll fit or if thats a good way to go.

lastly i need a good mechanic. If u know any mechanic willing to help out at reasonable prices and good advise please give me there contact info.

Im a student trying to get back in school that works at target. and all of my saving went into purchasing this bike. help please. im heart broken
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
market for gs500f flip326 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-10-2012 03:32 AM
Stolen GS500F!! dzamaboy Stolen Bike Reports 18 05-11-2010 01:30 PM
good deal, GS500F RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-26-2008 03:17 PM
GS500F... thoughts? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 12-19-2007 06:09 PM
thats not an engine, now this is! RACER X Off Topic 20 06-22-2007 07:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
gkcontra

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX 650F -Blue
2008 GSX 650F - Black
2003 GSXR600 Alstare(sold)
97 sportster 1200C (sold)
'00 Shadow Ace (Sold)

definitely wouldn't put 2700 into it. Here is a whole bike for 2700 - http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2429590238.html

pictures of it here - http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2410075236.html

not mine just saw your post and remembered seeing one for sale.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

oil is cheaper than engines. I learned that from Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. That is all.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

3 choices:
1)rebuild it yourself to save the labor (Stubbs prices are nuts)
2)swap engines
3)throw it in the gutter and get another

I wouldn't spend more than 1000.00 on it.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
sad to hear that bro. i used to have a gs500, and they are awesome machines. someone really had to have abused that thing HARD for the engine to cease, or someone really had no clue what they were doing.

engine swap is your cheapest, most cost effective, reliable, and wisest choice.

the prices stubbs quoted....yea...they are out of the park, but i really doubt that they want the job of rebuilding the thing. they dont want that problem. they are doing themselves AND YOU a favor by asking the astronomical prices. the best bet for both of yall is not to go that route. im suprised they even took the time to price the parts. i wouldnt have bothered (im a parts guy at a dealership)

how much do they want to charge for a motor swap? ill bet thats a lot more reasonable. dont be afraid to call around to a few shops and just ask "how much for a motor swap on a gs500?" (call reputable shops though)

sometimes you can find gs500's on the cheap. especially E models. trust me, the E's are cooler anyways. you dont need fairings to do 90! round headlight FTW! an engine plus shipping is probably going to run you 700-1000. it may well be worth it to just buy a local complete bike. the E models often go for under 2k. sometimes well under.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

I believe the word you're looking for is "seized". LOL
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
I believe the word you're looking for is "seized". LOL
Well it did 'cease' to function...
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
scrap yard, homes
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
DonV09

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcontra View Post
definitely wouldn't put 2700 into it. Here is a whole bike for 2700 - http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2429590238.html

pictures of it here - http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2410075236.html

not mine just saw your post and remembered seeing one for sale.

Same thing i was thinking, i dont think its worth it seeing that i bought the bike for 2000 even. I wanna make it a project bike now but i need a way to work and skool,
Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
DonV09

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
3 choices:
1)rebuild it yourself to save the labor (Stubbs prices are nuts)
2)swap engines
3)throw it in the gutter and get another

I wouldn't spend more than 1000.00 on it.
Im no where near a mechanic and im sure as not throwing it away after juss spending all of my money into it so it only leaves me with option 2, i hope it doesnt cost over 1000 in the end, i actually bought it to run it into the ground(not literally), guess u get what you ask for
Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
DonV09

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
sad to hear that bro. i used to have a gs500, and they are awesome machines. someone really had to have abused that thing HARD for the engine to cease, or someone really had no clue what they were doing.

engine swap is your cheapest, most cost effective, reliable, and wisest choice.

the prices stubbs quoted....yea...they are out of the park, but i really doubt that they want the job of rebuilding the thing. they dont want that problem. they are doing themselves AND YOU a favor by asking the astronomical prices. the best bet for both of yall is not to go that route. im suprised they even took the time to price the parts. i wouldnt have bothered (im a parts guy at a dealership)

how much do they want to charge for a motor swap? ill bet thats a lot more reasonable. dont be afraid to call around to a few shops and just ask "how much for a motor swap on a gs500?" (call reputable shops though)

sometimes you can find gs500's on the cheap. especially E models. trust me, the E's are cooler anyways. you dont need fairings to do 90! round headlight FTW! an engine plus shipping is probably going to run you 700-1000. it may well be worth it to just buy a local complete bike. the E models often go for under 2k. sometimes well under.
Every one i talk to tells me to just nfind a new motor and swap it. i believe its the best bet now too after pricing parts. for a engine swap stubbs wanted 400 to 500 plus...something i dont remember what he told me. ive called a few shops most on recommendation. i dont know many shops around town.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
albertinhouston

Last time I talked to Sam's I think they had an 08 for like $800. It was a newer model. I think their number is 713 862 4026. that was like a 4 months ago. They have them all the time. OR!!!! you can go to gstwins.com I'm sure you can find one there. My suggestion would be to get it locally so you can look at the motor. This a very easy swap can be done in about 3 hours.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #13
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Swapping out the engine on these is very very straight forward.
Forget 3 hours, take your time, make notes as you remove the old one as to where things go and the order they came off in.
If it takes you a week so what.
A workshop manual will help immensely, doesn't have to be a genuine Suzuki one either.
When it's all back in and your ready to crank it up,
check your oil
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Try and buy a warranted used motor, nothing worse than doing the work and then finding out the one you've been sold is no better than the one you took out!
It happens.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The manual can be downloaded for free if you look.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #16
daggart

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
GS500F (Sold)
2004 R6 (Sold)
2007 R1

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune man! I ride a 2004 GS500F (yellow) and overall it's sound, it's a shame you didn't get to experience it longer.

Just throwing this out there I am about to sell my bike (time to upgrade for me!) for $2000, if you have interest shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.
Would probably be better than trying to fix that...

Either way good luck to you man, hope to see you riding!

Edit: Forgot to mention I have pictures of my bike in my gallery!

Last edited by daggart; 06-11-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Mentioning of pictures*
daggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #17
albertinhouston

When I said 3 hours it was to show you that it is not a hard swap at all. Take your time and you can do it no problem. If you need any help feel free to give me a call. I've done plenty of GS's and can probably talk you though it.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
DonV09

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertinhouston View Post
Last time I talked to Sam's I think they had an 08 for like $800. It was a newer model. I think their number is 713 862 4026. that was like a 4 months ago. They have them all the time. OR!!!! you can go to gstwins.com I'm sure you can find one there. My suggestion would be to get it locally so you can look at the motor. This a very easy swap can be done in about 3 hours.
i contacted them earlier this week and all they had at the time was an 1997 GS500E engine for 600, i am thinking about buying it but im not sure if it'll work that my machine. i was told a little extra work and prts would be needed to get it to function right, i dont know if this is true at all because i was also told that the engine has never been changed over the years idk
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #19
DonV09

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Swapping out the engine on these is very very straight forward.
Forget 3 hours, take your time, make notes as you remove the old one as to where things go and the order they came off in.
If it takes you a week so what.
A workshop manual will help immensely, doesn't have to be a genuine Suzuki one either.
When it's all back in and your ready to crank it up,
check your oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertinhouston View Post
When I said 3 hours it was to show you that it is not a hard swap at all. Take your time and you can do it no problem. If you need any help feel free to give me a call. I've done plenty of GS's and can probably talk you though it.
True I have taken others advise and started taking the bike apart, so far i have only gotten as far as taking off the take, wasnt hard. and now i only see four wires that are running from the handle bars to the motor in which i have determine that they are the clutch, choke, kill switch, and starter(i think).
ive started on it but not sure if ill be the one to finish. im going to keep working as much as i can to learn as much as i can.

i will most defiantly be reaching out to you in the near future albertinhouston. i can already see ill need help. i dont know what to do next after ive taken the gas tank off
Old 06-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
DonV09

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggart View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune man! I ride a 2004 GS500F (yellow) and overall it's sound, it's a shame you didn't get to experience it longer.

Just throwing this out there I am about to sell my bike (time to upgrade for me!) for $2000, if you have interest shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.
Would probably be better than trying to fix that...

Either way good luck to you man, hope to see you riding!

Edit: Forgot to mention I have pictures of my bike in my gallery!
nice GS man! i would love to purchase a new bike now but i just plundered all my side saving into this one and the rest has to go to school and i refuse to take from my school.

Advertisement