MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
rjacobs

Feedback Rating: (0)

Registering a car in Houston

I just bought a new WRX STI in St. Louis when I was home last week and am moving down here in about 2 weeks. I am thinking I am going to register it down here, but have some questions as the process seems way different than in Missouri. In missouri you just go to the dmv and pay the tax, title, license and everything at one place. That will cost me around 1050 in taxes and all other fees in Missouri. Down here in Houston it looks like a few different trips to a few different places. Tax is 6.25 percent so tax would cost me like 875 or so plus the other like 60 dollar fees for titling. So it seems like the money would be a bit less, but am I correct where I pay the tax and the title fee or is there anything else I need to know. Are there any city taxes? I also am going to be living in an apartment and wont have a permanent address, should I be concerned about that?
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
registering a trailer 40acres General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-22-2015 11:57 AM
Registering a Trailer FKNA Off Topic 10 04-04-2011 10:53 AM
Question about Registering car and Inspection ryanp77 Off Topic 3 08-20-2008 04:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
stlal
Superman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs
I just bought a new WRX STI in St. Louis when I was home last week and am moving down here in about 2 weeks. I am thinking I am going to register it down here, but have some questions as the process seems way different than in Missouri. In missouri you just go to the dmv and pay the tax, title, license and everything at one place. That will cost me around 1050 in taxes and all other fees in Missouri. Down here in Houston it looks like a few different trips to a few different places. Tax is 6.25 percent so tax would cost me like 875 or so plus the other like 60 dollar fees for titling. So it seems like the money would be a bit less, but am I correct where I pay the tax and the title fee or is there anything else I need to know. Are there any city taxes? I also am going to be living in an apartment and wont have a permanent address, should I be concerned about that?
I moved here from STL myself... Heres what you wanna do..

1) Have proof of insurance and go to a jiffy lube and get your safety/emissions inspection..if it wont pass pm..I can help

2) They will give you the inspection cert. and a vehicle identification cert.

3) Take your insp. cert, vehicle identification cert, and insurance to the tax office along with your MO registration... pay them about 80.00 and your legal

The inspection is 39.50 unless it is brand new(less than 2 years old) 12.50 safety only and the ident. cert. is a dollar

Last edited by stlal; 10-06-2006 at 01:12 AM.
stlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

They dont care where you live and you shouldnt have to pay tax.....just registration...if you havent titled it yet then you have to pay tax..make a bill of sale..I passed my 05 gsxr 750 off as 1200.00 haha.. but they changed it to where you have to pay on 80% of blue book i think..good luck and if you need me to show you around town shoot me a pm..where in STL you from? I grew up in Oakville
Old 10-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
rjacobs

The car is brand new, never been titled, do I still have to get it inspected? Seems kinda like a waste. I will have to pay tax on it, on right at 14000 bucks, so I think it is gonna be like 850 bucks in tax. All of my paperwork says MO on it, will that matter, its still a bill of sale.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

14k for a new wrx sti well done kimosabe!
kstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs
The car is brand new, never been titled, do I still have to get it inspected? Seems kinda like a waste. I will have to pay tax on it, on right at 14000 bucks, so I think it is gonna be like 850 bucks in tax. All of my paperwork says MO on it, will that matter, its still a bill of sale.
Yeah a safety only inspection... 12.50
Old 10-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #7
rjacobs

well a safety inspection is B.S. since its new, but oh well since its gonna save me like 150 or 200 bucks from MO taxes. The difference between my 05 WRX and 06 STI is like 14000, I dont think thats bad since the difference between an 06 WRX to 06 STI is almost 10k.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

where in stl you from?

Advertisement