Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #41
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I have seen it in the past too. However, the way I read the news report, I was picturing a severe fracture, maybe even exposed. You would not be walking after something like that. Anyway, I could care less about Hampton or the other guy, they are both squids to me.
Quote:
Hampton suffered a bad case of road rash on his arm and his ankle was broken so badly it required surgery
It's possible his walking on it is part of what caused his injury to require surgery.

That's your call, but your judgement of him is based on factors beyond/other than how he was riding... The definition of squid, refers to riding behaviour as the primary qualifier.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
biker down on hwy 6 Da9tegra General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-02-2008 09:50 PM
whose riden to biker rally slamcharger Events, Meets and Rides 60 10-29-2007 03:22 PM
Biker Rally? mr_joe Events, Meets and Rides 2 06-12-2007 03:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I have seen it in the past too. However, the way I read the news report, I was picturing a severe fracture, maybe even exposed. You would not be walking after something like that. Anyway, I could care less about Hampton or the other guy, they are both squids to me.
Several bones that could be crushed or fractured that would require surgery. Doesn't have to stick out of the skin to be severe

99107 004 B9666996
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #43
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
It's possible his walking on it is part of what caused his injury to require surgery.

That's your call, but your judgement of him is based on factors beyond/other than how he was riding... The definition of squid, refers to riding behaviour as the primary qualifier.
So the definition of squid doesn't include the fact that the rider didn't wear the appropriate gear to ride?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #44
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
So the definition of squid doesn't include the fact that the rider didn't wear the appropriate gear to ride?
If say, Rossi was on the street in jeans and a helmet instead of leathers...is he a squid?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #45
halfbr3d

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

Taken from Urban Dictionary

"Squid

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid' "

On a side note, I have seen footage of Rossi with no helmet. :squid:
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #46
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbr3d View Post
Taken from Urban Dictionary

"Squid

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid' "

On a side note, I have seen footage of Rossi with no helmet. :squid:
Tell you what, go up to him in person and tell him he's a squid and why and let us know what happens...

as for your definition from the urban dictionary... you highlighted the no protection part and ignored the sentence aftwards. Read all the other descriptions, do so more research. The true commonality is how they ride/act on the bike and not the gear. In fact, based on the section you quote.. you're wrong. The guy was wearing a helmet, Ie: protection. He may not have had adquate protection, but he was wearing some.

Precisely how much 'protection' does someone have to wear then? Based on your criteria, either the guy wasn't a squid because he had a helment...or everyone who doesn't wear full leathers with helmet, proper gloves and full boots is a squid.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
halfbr3d

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

Perhaps you didn't sense my sarcasm saying Rossi was a squid. I apologize for not pointing out that that was a joke. I'm sure if I called Rossi a squid, he'd probably just laugh.

You really need to stop reading too much into what I post. First off... I didn't call the guy a squid, I called him a douche. I only posted that definition in response to this post...

Quote:
The term "squid" could mean different things to different people.
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #48
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't sense my sarcasm saying Rossi was a squid. I apologize for not pointing out that that was a joke. I'm sure if I called Rossi a squid, he'd probably just laugh.

You really need to stop reading too much into what I post. First off... I didn't call the guy a squid, I called him a douche. I only posted that definition in response to this post...

You really are a halfbreed.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #49
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:

You really need to stop reading too much into what I post. First off... I didn't call the guy a squid, I called him a douche. I only posted that definition in response to this post....
You jumped into an exchange involving in essence 'what is a squid' and expect
others to read your mind?

Quote:
Yes, it can 'mean' different things to different people... kinda like 'go ask your momma' as opposed to 'go axe yo momma'. One makes you look/sound like an idiot.

Of course there is the applicaton, or use of 'squid' in regards to someone in the navy as opposed to another military branch (Ie: Jarhead), but considering this is primarily a motorcycle site.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #50
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Lol at this thread
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #51
delock

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2009 zx14
2008 hayabusa black/orange (up until Dec1,2009)
2004 cannondale f700

really!
delock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #52
timistim
Server Admˇnˇstrator

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

You do realize that language is constantly changing and evolving, and often one word can have multiple meanings. Take the word joint for example. It can mean a marijuana cigarette, prison, a body part, I think you get my drift.

In the motorcycle world though the term squid has meant quite a few things:

1. An inexperienced rider that can only go fast in a strait line giving them a very squid like motion to their riding. Short bursts of speed in a strait line.

2. Someone wearing only a helmet. Where the resemblance to a squid comes in is after they crash. The helmet will keep their head safe, however the rest of the body will become mangled. The mangled body now looks like a squid, round head and shredded lower half resembling the tentacles on the squid.

3. As of recent the two definitions have merged and been expanded. It now tends to mean an inexperienced rider that rides beyond his limits and frequently brags about his riding ability. They also tend to wear little to no gear and frequently do burnout, wheelies, stoppies and rev their engine bouncing it off the rev limiter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #53
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #54
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:

I thought a squid was a navy seamen????
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #55
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Sind Sie Deutsch??? Meine Exe ist Eine Hexe!!!
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #56
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_gsxr600 View Post
Sind Sie Deutsch??? Meine Exe ist Eine Hexe!!!
No I don't, and I'll take your word for it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #57
tamucc2004

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

That guy if a idiot. He knew exactly what he was getting into. Others had said he did the ride the past 2 years. He also killed 4 24oz bud lights before he got on the bike. And before they took off made it very clear to all riders that people up front were going to be stunting and ride with them at your on risk. Dont want to risk it hang at the back of the pack.

I say he was drinking and knew what was going on and is now just being a little that no one will ever have respect for again and he got what he deserves.
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #58
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

Blvde Fotze
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #59
AngusTEx
Hang the up & DRIVE

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Honduh

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime...-shut-down.ece
Quote:
Arrest made in incident where Central Expressway was shut down
NM 07CENTRALGRAFFITI4 19662599

By TANYA EISERER and SCOTT GOLDSTEIN
Staff Writers
teiserer@dallasnews.com; sgoldstein@dallasnews.com

Authorities have arrested a 35-year-old man in connection with a high-profile incident where several dozen motorcyclists shut down a portion of the North Central Expressway on Memorial Day weekend.

thomasroberts

Thomas Roberts faces one count of state felony graffiti, punishable by up to two years in a state jail facility.

Roberts was among those seen spray painting messages on the roadway in a video of the May 29 ride which was posted to YouTube.

Several more arrests are expected in the case, officials said. Some are expected to face graffiti charges while others are expected to face a misdemeanor charge related to shutting down the roadway.

Dallas police have refused to publicly comment on the ongoing investigation, other than to post statements on the department’s Facebook page.

The Memorial Day incident was the second straight year in a row that a section of North Central Expressway was shut down, in apparent tribute to a fallen rider.

Dallas City Council member Angela Hunt, whose district includes the section of highway near Mockingbird Lane, has previously said that police must ensure that the event never happens again.

“It’s frustrating that we have people putting other drivers in danger like that,” she said. “There are better ways to honor their fallen. I’m pleased that our police are moving forward in investigating this and taking all of the steps they need to take to make sure the perpetrators are prosecuted.”

Video of the May 29 ride was posted to YouTube, as were several videos of a similar incident May 30, 2010. In both cases, rows of motorcyclists stopped across the northbound highway as others performed tricks and shouted at the cameras.

Several people hopped off their bikes and spray-painted messages about the man who died in a motorcycle accident in fall 2009.

Rebecca Lopez of WFAA-TV contributed to this report.
AngusTEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #60
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
hope it was worth it!
-Cody