MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #21
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I commute to work frequently, from Conroe to NE Houston, about 50 miles one way. I really have had no issues at all. The only close call in traffic that I can recall in the past year or so was a school bus that came over on me, most likely because I was next to it passing, trying to get out of the blind spot as soon as I could. I guess keeping it weird in austin involves running over motorcycles.

That stretch over on 610 near mccarty is a mess ever since they been doing that construction in the area. I have made more than a few runs on the ambulance for crashes in that area.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver frustrated after close encounter with reckless sport-bike riders Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 186 01-12-2012 10:55 PM
Sport bike riders going to cruisers.... how was it??? or have you done it?? floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 78 06-07-2011 11:37 PM
Another reason to hate Dallas and their sport bike riders. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-06-2010 10:20 PM
There are some really idiotic sport bike riders out there! Reventon General Discussion (Moto Related) 115 01-27-2010 01:21 PM
Crazy female aggressive drivers in expensive cars. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 10-21-2009 11:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

The best advice I've taken is avoid driving in the traffic, cars tend to travel in cluster or packs on the road- stay in between the groups not in them. You will have to accelerate to pass up these packs of cars.
Renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Ulric
Dirty Old

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Schools out, so you've got more inexperienced and/or asstarded drivers out there.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #24
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
People are on edge as of late. I've noticed it and I haven't rode in a year or so. This translates into careless and aggressive driving.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #25
BaylorNinja500
I miss this place

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500R
2008 Zuma 125cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Just yesterday I was going to work by UT.......
there's ur problem right there

i don't ride much on the highway in Houston. ive seen enough stupid in my car. i take back roads i'm comfortable with and grab a few curves when i can. Highways are crazy risky IMO inside the loop
Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #26
haythamboi600
Engineer.

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr-600 (sold)
07 cbr-RR 600 (sold)
07 R6 (sold)
09 R1

I think it has alot to do with a few bad apples. I drive by PP1 to work and honestly, sometimes i just wanna come out the car and beat the living out of some of these punks. I ride too, so i try to be considerate to all my biker community but if you ride like a DOUCHE. you know what's coming for you.

And you are making it worse for all other riders too!!
haythamboi600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #27
roflo486

Bike(s):
09 GSXR 750 Stolen
94 CBR 900rr Sold
05 Honda TRX-450

Austin traffic sucks anyways it full of college students driving while texting and
roflo486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #28
MONSTERZX9
Owner Ground Zero

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
F4i

Quote:
Seems to be an Austin thing.
It is getting bad in austin. I don't bother with austin traffic anymore. I live and work in Buda so I stay on the country roads. I'll take the screwy pothole roads of Old San Antonio rd. before I'll get on 35
MONSTERZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #29
scoutguy
pack leeder

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorNinja500 View Post
there's ur problem right there

i don't ride much on the highway in Houston. ive seen enough stupid in my car. i take back roads i'm comfortable with and grab a few curves when i can. Highways are crazy risky IMO inside the loop
C'mon man, we all know Bevo resides in Houston.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #30
AngusTEx
Hang the up & DRIVE

Bike(s):
Honduh

When I lived in ATX, I only took I-35 once for a few miles north of 183. Otherwise, I avoided it and took Mopac and felt drivers there weren't too bad for riding around town.

Funny when I moved to Houston, I haven't ridden ever since living in Austin except when riding the bike to Houston. I've been only caging it and feel Houston drivers are the worst. It seems the opinion of which Texas city has the worst drivers always varies among everyone, but it's been my observation.

Yesterday driving back from Galveston on 45, I see a nicely geared up sport rider so I stayed behind him to cover his rear in the fast lane with a good 2+ second gap. A moron with a donut on his Cougar going well north of what how fast a donut should be going changes into my lane between me and the rider with less than 5 feet gap between his rear and my front bumper. I'm starting to get . Then traffic comes. The rider does the smart thing and stays wide toward the left of the lane against the shoulder. As traffic starts to go <40mph and stopping, the Cougar gives the rider probably a 2 ft gap as if he's not even there. By now I'm super and making hand gestures hoping the guy would have some common sense knocked into him. A few minutes pass and the rider wisely bolts from the lane into the others.
/rant
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #31
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Yeah, I have to say that I don't experience anything like these problems in Houston. Whereas in Austin I'm nervous like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Quote:
As soon as you get out of Austin, even in RR and Georgetown, people arent as bad on 35, its just in Austin.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
The best advice I've taken is avoid driving in the traffic, cars tend to travel in cluster or packs on the road- stay in between the groups not in them. You will have to accelerate to pass up these packs of cars.
One of a number of important survival habits!
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #33
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

I split cars everyday and I usually do over the speed limit going to and from work in light to moderate traffic conditions. And I am the guy you see weaving around traffic. But I never do anything crazy like go past 100mph and buzz by cars at light speed.

I honestly don't care anymore what people think. I have been riding for a solid year as motorcycle only and I have not had any issues. I know when to do certain things. And when not to.

Because of the aggressive riders that I deal with here in South Florida (Currently living in South Florida) I ride the way I do. I actually miss Houston drivers because of the way they drive down here.
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 AM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Just yesterday I was going to work by UT.
You lucky, lucky man
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #35
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

I didnt read the full thread. Just first post.

Riding everyday, EXPECT to see some crazy . More than likely it seems crazy, because you havent ridden in some time. Years ago, I asked my brother if I was doing something wrong, avoiding so many accidents every day. He said "Assume they are out to get you 24-7. It's not just you, it is every rider"

Since then I learned "the game". The moment you swing leg over seat, they will TRY to kill you, until you get off the bike.

It hasnt got worse, you have just been away from it in daily ridng form.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement