MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I have noticed drivers getting more and more aggressive against sport bike riders.

I didnt ride on the road for about a year and a half until about a few weeks ago and what a difference it has made.

Just a few years ago, I would have an incident worth mentioning every week or two, not its numerous every day.

SO SO SO many close calls since.

Even a coworker just got a motard, hadnt ridden in about as long as myself got to work freaking out. He was like what the happened since I last rode, almost got killed a few times on the way to work.

Everything from nearly being run over by a semi, to a concrete truck trying to push me off my lane for trying to pass him.

Almost every driver I try to pass on i35 all speed up from 60 to about 80 or faster when I try to go around them. Especially the ones that are on the fast lane going not so fast and you try to get around them. And every time I see them watching me and keeping an eye on me when they pull this .

Twice last week I had punks on Fast and the Furious cars pass me going well over 100 while I am on the middle lane going about the speed limit, maybe 5 over while swerving into my lane and nearly hitting me with the mirror. I did not bother giving chase cause I know it would get ugly if I caught up with them, no win situation.

Just yesterday I was going to work by UT. A concrete truck was on the left lane going slow so I got on the right to pass and he moved hi truck to take up half of each lane. When I got all the way over to the right, he started moving on me so I just sped out of the way.

I mean, I would fill pages just with the crazy drivers are doing if I named them all.

Its like drivers are taking notice of bikes and are actively being aggressive against us.

It just caught me off guard how crazy it got in such a short time.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver frustrated after close encounter with reckless sport-bike riders Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 186 01-12-2012 10:55 PM
Sport bike riders going to cruisers.... how was it??? or have you done it?? floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 78 06-07-2011 11:37 PM
Another reason to hate Dallas and their sport bike riders. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-06-2010 10:20 PM
There are some really idiotic sport bike riders out there! Reventon General Discussion (Moto Related) 115 01-27-2010 01:21 PM
Crazy female aggressive drivers in expensive cars. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 10-21-2009 11:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Sabatech
Jesse Does it ALL

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Hayabusa
2001 GSXR 1000
2004 GSXR 1000
RC 51
426 Supermoto

Send a message via MSN to Sabatech Send a message via Skype™ to Sabatech
yea. its getting worse....
Sabatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
WWFII

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Are you attempting to convince me that the roads have not always been "unsafe?" I had no idea the situation had been any different at any time in the past.
WWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFII View Post
Are you attempting to convince me that the roads have not always been "unsafe?" I had no idea the situation had been any different at any time in the past.
They have always been unsafe.

Just very apparent that it has gotten much much worse.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

yup..ride track. forget the streets.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

Litrebike will pass their so easy you wont have all that drama. 600 for surface streets may be ok but on fwy its 1k or bigger for me
Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
Litrebike will pass their so easy you wont have all that drama. 600 for surface streets may be ok but on fwy its 1k or bigger for me
I just drop it down a few and fly by, sometimes I like to barely go faster and see how fast they will go to to try and block from getting over to the right with the car ahead of you.

It tends to average at about 80. They are usually going about 60 when I try to pass them.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
R1Rider2009
R1

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Yamaha R1 (sold)
2008 Victory Vegas Low (sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (sold)

Member Garage

I've noticed the exact opposite. I rode the last two days and didn't have any issues. Usually I have at least 1 person try to come into my lane or something like that.
R1Rider2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Seems to be an Austin thing.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

When on the freeway, I cruise past everyone. Going a little over speed limit. It could just be the crowd you have there.

If people try to do F&F and speed up in front of me, I let them lead. So when cops are there shooting radar, my is covered. Usually, sooner or later, they would slow down and let me pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
timistim
Server Admínístrator

Bike(s):
98 YZF600R Red Black and White

Member Garage

Sport bike riders are getting a bad wrap because of the actions of what is starting to seem more and more like the majority. There are a lot people on this forum that admit to doing speeds in excess of 150mph on public roads. Frequently I see riders doing easily 100mph weaving in and out of traffic on the freeways and even doing wheelies on the freeway. It also doesn't help that there are stories frequently in the news of sport bike riders running for cops and wrecking in the process. I must admit that if I were not in the motorcycle community it would be easy for me to write all sport bike riders off as jackasses. Now this rational certainly does not justify people trying to kill riders, however I don't think they see it as that. Unfortunately people are too stupid to understand how venerable motorcycle riders are. I really wish there were a way to change that image, but I am not sure that will be obtained in my life time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
attention all... tim is . he is the all knowing one.
timistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

havent been riding long (since 06) and everyday on the sport bike i had a story. I used to share those stories when i got to work or when i made it home safe... those stories get old and now just dont even bother opening my mouth.

I've noticed on the cruiser things are better. Then again I dont attend many meets anymore which keeps me off the street. Its pretty much a mon-fri and i beat the rush hour traffic so not as many bone heads.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
XBIKE

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 750
2011 DR 650
2008 Buell XB9XS (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to XBIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Nope. It's an everywhere thing. Sometimes it's just an that doesn't care, other times it is someone not paying attention because of performing other activites other than driving (women applying makeup, people texting or talking on their cell phones, fighting with the other passengers, etc.)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
mightymouse1

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 gsxr 1000

timistim is right on!!! yesterday i was in my car and saw some jackasses lane splitting well over 120mph(scared my wife as they split us). sometimes it's better to drive like you are in a car when on your bike,especially in heavy traffic. cagers seem to get upset because you are able to get through traffic and they can't. sometimes i let them pass me to think they are doing something,whatever that is . imo like the old saying goes,you have to ride for yourself and the cager. sometimes backing off to give yourself space to pass is better than being close trying to pass. people in cars see this as you being an . not saying you were doing this,but generally speaking.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
It's absolutely 1000000% Austin. I feel so much safer on 610 in Houston than on I-35 here.

Austin is a terrible terrible place to ride. It is way too congested which translates to grumpy drivers. There is far more distractions being stuck in traffic... road blacktop quality has been severely lacking during this financial crunch... Lance Armstrong wannabes riding 2-3 wide... then you toss in the local inebriated vibe of our "live band" capitol of the US.

Ugh.

There is a reason why Austin leads the country in motorcycle fatalities. The national average is 13% deaths. As of 2009 in Austin, it's more than twice the national averate at 27%. I am certain that number so much much higher now. It has to be.

FWIW, don't confuse Hill Country with Austin.
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Most of the time I am passing people just to get out of the cluster (as I call bunched up cars) to get to a nice gap in traffic and cruise there instead.

, yesterday this guy sees me get over a lane away from the left lane and he is on the 3rd lane from the right, its a 4 lane section, and I see him turn to look at me and then is watching me on his rear view. Well, as I start to speed up, he gets to my lane to block me. There are cars on all other lanes.

So I am like fukit, I just cruise there for a little bit but traffic is getting congested around me and I see a few semis coming up behind and I hate being in that bunch.

Well, the car to the left finally slowly speeds up and there is a gap on the left lane, but I see a few lanes over cars got to the right lane to merge to another freeway. I put on my left turn signal and act like I am getting over and sure enough he jumps on the lane but I was watching traffic behind me to the right and as soon as he got over, I immediately got over to the right lane and then one more and went around everyone.

I watched him see what I was doing and tried to get over but I was gone.

like that.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
eltejano
I smell pretty

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
It's absolutely 1000000% Austin. I feel so much safer on 610 in Houston than on I-35 here.

Austin is a terrible terrible place to ride. It is way too congested which translates to grumpy drivers. There is far more distractions being stuck in traffic... road blacktop quality has been severely lacking during this financial crunch... Lance Armstrong wannabes riding 2-3 wide... then you toss in the local inebriated vibe of our "live band" capitol of the US.

Ugh.

There is a reason why Austin leads the country in motorcycle fatalities. The national average is 13% deaths. As of 2009 in Austin, it's more than twice the national averate at 27%. I am certain that number so much much higher now. It has to be.

FWIW, don't confuse Hill Country with Austin.
As soon as you get out of Austin, even in RR and Georgetown, people arent as bad on 35, its just in Austin.
tejano? Rape me
Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Some shitheads and distracted drivers
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
NitroHonda
Deaf

Bike(s):
2006 GSX-R 1000k6
2003 Kawasaki ZX6R -- trackbike
2009 ZX14 -- STOLEN -- never recovered
2008 Hayabusa -- STOLEN -- frame recovered

Quote:
As soon as you get out of Austin, even in RR and Georgetown, people arent as bad on 35, its just in Austin.
I wouldn't be riding/driving agressively in Williamson county either. They're just too oppressive for me and 77 yr old grandmothers all over.

In 2011 so far... of all vehicle fatalities in Austin... 31% were motorcyclists. Even a guy on a Rukus tried to run me off... a scooter trying to clip me. WTF?

I won't stop riding...
NitroHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
Sumo

Bike(s):
2007 DRZ400SM
2006 DRZ400E

Quote:
Almost every driver I try to pass on I35...
There's your problem.

I used to be in outside sales. Hated driving over there to see customers. San Antonio has the worst drivers in the state, with Austin a close second, and the road between them is loaded with retards.

I've commuted in Houston for years on a bike. In general, reagrdless of the bike I was using, I haven't had anybody be too deliberately belligerent. On my old sport bikes and now the DRZ I stay just a bit faster than traffic, but never really caning it. You'll always have your close calls but I take my responsibility seriously to keep myself out of blind spots and other danger zones.

I really enjoy riding the bike to commute. The only thing I hate is McCarty between 610 and Mesa. If y'all ever hear of a bike going down in the morning on that stretch it'll probably be me. unbelievable right there.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement