MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #41
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post

This isn't the way most people are riding these bikes anymore. They're leaving their braking as late as possible, and staying on them all the way to the apex.

I guess in important note is that none of what I'm talking about applies to street riding
No matter how long you are on the brakes, or how you use them, a stable chassis equates to better corner speed and stability... if it's rocking fore and aft, it is wasted motion. The more you can do to alleviate that, the faster you'll go

We can argue till the cows come home; and agree to disagree.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help brakes hahah How To's and Q & A's 7 03-25-2012 04:25 PM
Where to get brakes done? Greenway Smokey Cruisers Lounge 9 10-19-2011 03:02 PM
Brakes setfast Motorcycles Unlimited 3 07-10-2009 06:32 PM
Need BRAKES Solracer Motorcycles Unlimited 11 02-07-2008 09:36 AM
brakes pester Off Topic 9 07-07-2007 12:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
No matter how long you are on the brakes, or how you use them, a stable chassis equates to better corner speed and stability... if it's rocking fore and aft, it is wasted motion. The more you can do to alleviate that, the faster you'll go
I agree. Wouldn't coming off the rear headed into a turn (in order to get into the proper body position) unload the front, and do exactly what you're suggesting is bad?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
Vividkid

Feedback Rating: (0)

lol at this thread.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #44
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

nope.. as you are getting back on the gas, even maintenance throttle.. the bike will rise a bit..

I tend to get into BP prior to the corner anyhow; I'm a big boy so moving around upsets the bike a bit. I also turn later than most.. prefer the quick flick to the long lazy turn.

I use my lower leg and knee to lock in.. whether braking or shifting the feet are free to move around a bit... flip side is if my foot slips off the peg mid turn it ain't no biggie.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #45
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
nope.. as you are getting back on the gas, even maintenance throttle.. the bike will rise a bit..
Do you get back on the gas before the apex?

Quote:
I tend to get into BP prior to the corner anyhow; I'm a big boy so moving around upsets the bike a bit. I also turn later than most.. prefer the quick flick to the long lazy turn.
Quick turning is the correct thing. Getting into the BP before the turn is the correct thing. How do you reconcile rear brake use with proper body position in a right hand turn? , even in a left hand turn it still requires compromising BP to get to that lever.

Quote:
I use my lower leg and knee to lock in.. whether braking or shifting the feet are free to move around a bit... flip side is if my foot slips off the peg mid turn it ain't no biggie.
I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #46
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

OMG (sorry - seems appropriate here)....

Both brakes should be in good working order. Personally, without the right tools and all, I trust brake repair to a service professional just for assurance. I can probably replace pads, but I really don't want to be the only one responsible for finding a problem (or not) with my brakes.

If you have no brakes, there is a problem that could occur again even after "pumping" the lines.

Rear brakes are important to have available for various reasons. Racing is not normal riding to compare to. Rear brakes are good to use in a parking lot, or an uphill stoplight or traffic or light slowing, or just balancing with the front braking for normal riding...

all this talk about braking and turning techniques is killing me - and the thread has been hijacked!

In the end, you can ride without a rear brake for almost everything, unless your front brakes go out ....

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #47
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

why the are you guys talking like we're taking it to the track??? LOL.....

If this is how you guys ride then ! can I come with ya??
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #48
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
why the are you guys talking like we're taking it to the track??? LOL.....
I made that distinction a page or two back.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #49
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
I made that distinction a page or two back.
I think Txlurch can take you.......

Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #50
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Do you get back on the gas before the apex?

Yes indeed

Quick turning is the correct thing. Getting into the BP before the turn is the correct thing. How do you reconcile rear brake use with proper body position in a right hand turn? , even in a left hand turn it still requires compromising BP to get to that lever.

Because my foot stays on the peg.. my size 13 boot can't turn and point without compromising ground clearance, and I am flexible enough to get the knee out without "pointing" my foot

I learned back when tires were skinny, bikes were heavy, and your thigh was on the seat more than your cheek

I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
I am saying the pegs aren't the most important thing in hanging on the bike.... unless it's a trials bike.. even then my feet were off the pegs more often than not to get it balanced a certain way.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #51
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Yes indeed

Then by today's way of doing things: you're doing it wrong because you didn't carry enough speed into the turn initially.

Quote:
Because my foot stays on the peg.. my size 13 boot can't turn and point without compromising ground clearance, and I am flexible enough to get the knee out without "pointing" my foot

So you have paddles for feet. This is outside the norm. Your abnormality requires you to do something different that allows you to acheive an abnormal goal. Do you think this is something you should be instructing? I'm fat. I wouldn't teach skinny guys to brace against the tank with their guts because I know better. Even though that's something I'm capable of doing.

Quote:
I learned back when tires were skinny, bikes were heavy, and your thigh was on the seat more than your cheek

Well, if you can't teach an old dog new tricks, maybe you can keep him from barking outdated info at the young dogs.

Quote:
I am saying the pegs aren't the most important thing in hanging on the bike.... unless it's a trials bike.. even then my feet were off the pegs more often than not to get it balanced a certain way.

I understand now. However, free foot or not, the granularity of control available to your ankle doesn't even hold a candle to what you can do with your fingers. In the short amount of time you have to prepare for a corner, your attention is divided several ways. Adding in the additional dimension of moduling the rear brake near lockup....which is difficult to do in the best of times.....isn't worth the sliver of gain (which is obviously debatable) that you might be able to get from it.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #52
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

Quote:
So based on one turn, you feel they NEVER use the rear brake? I'll wager that they use it a bunch more than they don't..
Quote:
I'll take that wager. If you're doing all of the things you're supposed to be doing on a sportbike: late braking, trailing through the turns, hanging off...you're not even in a position to be able to activate the rear brake during the majority of the time you're braking.
On the track, those whose style is suited to use of the rear brake often employ thumb brakes for the rear so body/foot position isn't always applicable.

And as Grinchy mentioned, Doohan was a rear brake proponent and probably the first on the grid to use a thumb operated rear brake in the early '90s after an injury made the pedal harder to use.

122 0506 gear04 z
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #53
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyck18 View Post
What bike even uses dot 5???

I have no idea, but many people switch to DOT 5 for various reasons. Hence giving him a warning.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #54
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCH View Post
On the track, those whose style is suited to use of the rear brake often employ thumb brakes for the rear so body/foot position isn't always applicable.

And as Grinchy mentioned, Doohan was a rear brake proponent and probably the first on the grid to use a thumb operated rear brake in the early '90s after an injury made the pedal harder to use.
I'd be interested to find out how prevent their usage really is in racing. The quick poll I took over lunch of the guys that I know that ride track returned results of 'wtf, no, you don't use the rear brake' and 'sure I use the rear brake....when I've ridden off into the dirt' amongst other, similar responses.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #55
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
I'd be interested to find out how prevent their usage really is in racing. The quick poll I took over lunch of the guys that I know that ride track returned results of 'wtf, no, you don't use the rear brake' and 'sure I use the rear brake....when I've ridden off into the dirt' amongst other, similar responses.
I'd be curious as well... but the poll needs to be from racers as opposed to track day riders...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #56
The Trav
slowpoke

Quote:
front forks have bearings? I've been all up in a fork, even on an '04 gsxr 600, and have yet to find a bearing.

they do have bushings, he may be a little confoozed

There's nothing to changing pads on a rear brake. The only difficult step is that the rear wheel has to be removed to access the pads. Get a service manual for your bike, there are several places on the net to download the manual for that bike for free (, I might have a copy somewhere....I still have an '04 gsxr trackturd) and you should be fine.

incorrect, the caliper is removable without removing the rear wheel

On a side note, you really shouldn't be using the rear brakes on a sportbike unless in an emergency situation.
also incorrect, the rear brake will assist you in riding better in most situations IF used properly
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #57
The Trav
slowpoke

damnit. i should have read the whole thread.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #58
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Lol... Yeah that would had helped...
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #59
phil7153
Defying gravity

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'08 Ninja 2Fiddy

Send a message via Skype™ to phil7153
Thread jack

I'm a complete noob. Just took my msf course and was taught both breaks all the time. I keep reading differently. So can someone please give me a short concise reason as to why you should only use your front brake?
phil7153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #60
humbleassassin
χαμαλός

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki zx-6r Totaled
:(

use your rear brake dont listen to these guys. There is a reason they are designed to do 20% of the breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
Hello. My name is Squoddy and I'm a . Sometimes I just can't help myself; I CRAVE !
GIVE IT TO ME!
humbleassassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement