MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #21
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
I'm pretty sure that all new tires have that "film" on them that has to be worn off whether it is a street tire or track tire. :confused1
Yes sir, but my point was that after 2-3 laps they were great the rest of the day. They warmed up fast and......for me and the RC........plenty of grip. And ALL the little were GONE before lunch
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Take offs for this weekend joeybaila Taking it to the Track 5 05-13-2015 03:43 PM
take-offs anyone?? _Iceman_ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-03-2014 12:08 PM
what do you do with your take-offs? pumpkinHED Taking it to the Track 1 01-20-2013 08:57 PM
looking for dot take-offs SVmike Taking it to the Track 14 09-05-2008 09:18 AM
Free Take Offs ufo34 Stunters Lounge 3 03-02-2007 03:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #22
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
I do encourage folks to try take off for track riding, if you can find them from someone you can trust on the history of the tires. Patrick, myself and a few other CMRA guys would be a good source. It is a good way to try race rubber feel with out race rubber price. Most of the time it's pretty easy to tell if a tire has had it to the point you don't want it. Look for the blueing around the sidewalls or edge tread, that is the clue I use to determine if the tire is heat cycle wasted. Then the tread itself can tell you quite a story too, if it looks like it probably is. Don't be confused by the "bubble gum" or bits of rubber stuck to the center of the tire which it has collected on a cooling lap, this is common, especially with tires run at Hallett. MSRH tires are the hardest to judge as they look fantastic even when they are TOTALLY wasted. I have run take offs from Cresson, TWS (Texas World Speedway), Hallett, and Oakhill, and after a few laps they *LOOK* great again. DOT's are easier to tell than slicks also. Main thing I can say is to buy them from a known source or someone you trust. Race rubber rocks!!!!
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #23
Tumper
Hullo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

I had a lot of burnt rubber still stuck to my tires after my last trackday, and I was a little anxious before my next street ride about them being a bit slippery. But I was able to find a few good curves to scrub off the excess and there was no discernable drop off in traction after that. I do however need a new front....Patrick are you listening?...

Anyway, I guess I am asking can the excess "burnt" rubber stuck on your street tires really present an issue after a trackday?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #24
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Using take offs for track days is more of a question of what shape they're in and how many heat cycles they've seen.

Take offs are unknown in how many track days or heat cycles unless you are buying from the rider. Sometimes, it is not all truth to make a sales. Would you used a take offs on the track that has been ran on 2 track days by intermediate riders? Without tire warmers?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #25
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
Take offs are unknown in how many track days or heat cycles unless you are buying from the rider. Sometimes, it is not all truth to make a sales. Would you used a take offs on the track that has been ran on 2 track days by intermediate riders? Without tire warmers?
Lots of variables in that scenario.......... What tracks? How intermediate? How many sessions and how long in between sessions? (could have been many heat cycles w/o warmers) Also depends on where you want to use them. As I've stated before, MSRH is really great on tires unlike everyother track around these parts. I get unreal lap counts out of a set of PR's soft C fronts, and PR5 rears. If I start with a new set, I'll get 350+ laps at a mid :40's pace, 400+ at a :50's pace. Also ask yourself why the intermediate rider is getting rid of them. If they are too gone for him will they be good for you? Are you of similar pace?
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #26
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
i dont care what you say i'll stick with my take offs on everything i ride on the streets especially fronts. thay make street tires too hard so they last longer and seeing as how i dont care how long they last im gonna stick with em. plus i have an load of em laying around the shop
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #27
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Yeah but Chris, your front tire is rarely on the ground anyways!:laughing6

You endurancing this weekend?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #28
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
true unless im on memorial or allen parkway it is off the ground. but when its time for a stoppie they hook up and dont lock like street tires. and i like sliding the back tire so its perfect for me. and yes we're endurance racing. ive been waiting all year to come back to world
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #29
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
race tires suck in the rain, especially on the oily city streets.
yelp.
I had a burned out worn rear tire and rode to the north side one day, it sprinkled and I happen to be on Airline Dr.
Airline is probably the worst street to be on, it seems as if they have more cars that leak oil than anywhere else, and they seem to be concentrated in that Airline / gulf bank area.
basically, end result = like riding on a street covered with ice

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement