MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Take Offs......

I've been getting some folks looking for take offs lately and wanted to offer some advice or just my opinion for what it's worth.

Take offs are a great introduction to the wonderfully grippy world of race rubber. I would HIGHLY recommend trying a set if you are wondering what race rubber is all about. Those new to trackdays or the trackday junkies will do well with racer takeoffs. Take offs should have quite a bit of tread left on the DOT's, or slicks should show the wear dots with a few mil's left. Most serious racers will not sprint a set more than 2-4 races which is an average of 16-32 laps. Some experts only use them for one race. Take offs are usually around 100.00 a set compared to 350 or so new so that is an extordinary deal.

HOWEVER.................... I would not recommend using take off race rubber on the street. Race tires are usually only good for 5-10 heat cycles but will vary a bit dependant on use. You will not get months of safe street riding on a set of take offs!!! If you see the "bluish oily" looking strips around the edges they are pretty much toasted already as the heat is breaking down the molecular structure of the tire. I usually sell mine to track guys and stunters. The track guys get the feel without the price hit, and the stunters are gonna burn 'em up in a week or two anyhow. That's my .02, maybe Patrick will have more to say on theis topic...............
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Take offs for this weekend joeybaila Taking it to the Track 5 05-13-2015 03:43 PM
take-offs anyone?? _Iceman_ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 07-03-2014 12:08 PM
what do you do with your take-offs? pumpkinHED Taking it to the Track 1 01-20-2013 08:57 PM
looking for dot take-offs SVmike Taking it to the Track 14 09-05-2008 09:18 AM
Free Take Offs ufo34 Stunters Lounge 3 03-02-2007 03:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

race tires suck in the rain, especially on the oily city streets.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
race tires suck in the rain, especially on the oily city streets.
Thats true. One time I fell riding out the driveway in the rain. Plus Houston is always going to have oily roads. Some people just can't keep their cars to stop leaking fluids.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I've used race take offs in the past on my own bikes, especially when I couldn't afford new rubber.
No, it's not the optimum thing to do, but when money is tight, it's better than having cords showing.
My 2 cents, as always, YMMV.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
I've been getting some folks looking for take offs lately and wanted to offer some advice or just my opinion for what it's worth.

Take offs are a great introduction to the wonderfully grippy world of race rubber. I would HIGHLY recommend trying a set if you are wondering what race rubber is all about. Those new to trackdays or the trackday junkies will do well with racer takeoffs. Take offs should have quite a bit of tread left on the DOT's, or slicks should show the wear dots with a few mil's left. Most serious racers will not sprint a set more than 2-4 races which is an average of 16-32 laps. Some experts only use them for one race. Take offs are usually around 100.00 a set compared to 350 or so new so that is an extordinary deal.

HOWEVER.................... I would not recommend using take off race rubber on the street. Race tires are usually only good for 5-10 heat cycles but will vary a bit dependant on use. You will not get months of safe street riding on a set of take offs!!! If you see the "bluish oily" looking strips around the edges they are pretty much toasted already as the heat is breaking down the molecular structure of the tire. I usually sell mine to track guys and stunters. The track guys get the feel without the price hit, and the stunters are gonna burn 'em up in a week or two anyhow. That's my .02, maybe Patrick will have more to say on theis topic...............

Why would a track guy buy a take off when it is already no good? Most track guys go around corner faster at tracks then on the streets.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

P.S. Disclaimer : Not good for street conditions, but and that's a big , used in a conservative sense and not under wet conditions (unless it's a rain take off) then well your still on your own as far as your limits and capability. My 2:icon_bigg
Old 10-03-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
Why would a track guy buy a take off when it is already no good? Most track guys go around corner faster at tracks then on the streets.

:confused2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley
Take offs are a great introduction to the wonderfully grippy world of race rubber. I would HIGHLY recommend trying a set if you are wondering what race rubber is all about. Those new to trackdays or the trackday junkies will do well with racer takeoffs
Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #8
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
You missed the point........ a tire that has been sprinted has usually one heat cycle. I keep my tires at temp all day, which is one heat cycle. (warmers)
If you ride your bike to the movies and park it for the show= one heat cycle. The ride home and park it=another heat cycle. Ride to work=heat cycle, ride home=another heat cycle. By day three or four you've got more heat cycles than the tire was made to do. A track guy buys a set and keeps them at tepm for 1-4 trackdays and there is the five heat cycles for the tire. As an example, I can run 2-3 sprints at say Cresson and the tire is starting to go off. I can bring that same set home to Houston and ride another 2-4 days at MSRH on it no problem. Will I break my personal best? Probably not, but I can ride pretty hard and work on my lines and form, then put on the new stuff and go race. New rubber for me is worth at least 2-4 seconds in a race.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

I hear ya....... one of the great thing about the PR is it's very quick heating. I've rolled out on the warm up lap afer pulling the stickers off and when the flag dropped it was on. Makes for an interesting experiment for the next trackday. I'll bring a temp gun and we can run single lap at a time at a moderte (street) pace, and measure the temp of various brands and street/race compounds. No warmers. Our own real world, our typical conditions tire test. Whos's up for it? I'll supply a set of Michelin and Dunlop take offs for anyone that wants to get them mounted and participate.(yo.....Patrick!!??)
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
I'll participate. I'll be the normal street rider with street gear. cool?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
Roman

Bike(s):
2005 gsxr-1000, 2003 gsxr-1000

Send a message via AIM to Roman
I am up for this Buck

just say where and when
i want to get as much info as possible on tires
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

More than anything else what determines tires coming up to temp is tire pressure followed by carcass constuction, but after one lap, almost any tire will come up to temp.

Dunlop coined an advertising phrase years back, while showing Kurtis Roberts, then 600 Supersport and Formula Extreme champion, backing it into a corner, a message appeared at the bottom of the screen; "either you trust your tires, or you don't".
That holds true no matter what brand you ride.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again; I don't believe there is a bad tire out there right now between the major manufacturers.
Pick the one that suits your riding style and budget best.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 10-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I'm down
Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
SCobraVT99
Dell Sales Representative

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2008 YZ250F

Send a message via AIM to SCobraVT99 Send a message via Yahoo to SCobraVT99
i dont know if this whole thing was spawned by me asking if anyone had some take offs, but the only reason I want some take offs is to try out a new set of tires. I want to try some pilot powers. Right now, I have a BRAND new set of dunlop qualifiers sitting down stairs that I have used since I started riding. Again, like Patrick said, ,pick a tire that you are comfortable with and trust. If you cant trust what you are riding on, it prolly isnt a good idea. I wanted some take offs...some pilot powers, to try out before I went out and spent 280 bucks on a set. Seems like it would be easier to buy a set of take offs and save myself 200 bucks IF I DONT LIKE THEM, then to have to buy a new set and find out all I want is to go back to my qualifiers. I dont EVER use take offs on the street....as a fellow track rider, take offs are not reat for the street. I have done it for a day or two when I was in a bind, but by no means do I ride on used race tires. The street is the most dangerous place to ride. At tthe track, things are different. You dont have to avoid wandering animals, crazy drivers, and in the road. Tires are meant to keepp you alive when you are doing "emergency moves" if the need ever arose, and you wouldnt want to be in a situation when you needed yourr tires to preform, because you are not getting the full potential with race take offs. All I wanted was a set of powers to try, not a set to ride on for 5k miles...
SCobraVT99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #15
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I've ridden on track take-offs for the past 3 years on the street....never once a problem..and I save hella cash when it comes time to put them on..I trust them more than a street tire (I ran Dunlops 207 and 208 and HATED them). I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me...take offs are the way to go (especially on my budget and drinking habits). Please note....
I don't ride like an through city traffic or in the rain, therefore traction has not been an issue for me....ask Clyde....
I'll ride a take off until the cords show....:laughing6 :laughing6 and then I put another set of take-offs on
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #16
BrutusTx

Member Garage

FWIW, I had the Pirellies<sp> put on the night before the last track day......they had 2 miles on them when I got on the track last week and it took 2-3 laps before they stopped scaring me. And I SURE wouldn't be confused with being fast out there...........EVER, the rest of the day they were great
Old 10-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #17
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

cool thread, wish there were MORE of these.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #18
level5
moving chicane

Buck, do you reccommend using take offs for trackdays? I agreed that the take offs are bad on the street. I even had problems with it during the round robin at the track. I guess that the old rubber has to wear off first and the heat soften up the compound again.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Using take offs for track days is more of a question of what shape they're in and how many heat cycles they've seen.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusTx
FWIW, I had the Pirellies<sp> put on the night before the last track day......they had 2 miles on them when I got on the track last week and it took 2-3 laps before they stopped scaring me. And I SURE wouldn't be confused with being fast out there...........EVER, the rest of the day they were great
I'm pretty sure that all new tires have that "film" on them that has to be worn off whether it is a street tire or track tire. :confused1
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement