Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

SV 650
KTM 125sx
Harley Street Bob
Husky 610 Tard
Vino 125

Originally Posted by PYROBUG51 View Post
Wear all your gear hot or cold and do a trackday to learn how to handle your bike
Ek is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini moto advise required to race on TMGP japtj2000 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 14 09-22-2014 11:13 AM
Mini moto advise required to race on TMGP. japtj2000 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 22 06-16-2014 11:50 AM
Need Advise hawkeye717 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 06-02-2012 12:49 PM
Need advise moto187 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-02-2009 02:16 AM
i need advise please ONIMOLAP.R General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 10-03-2007 12:28 PM
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
Grip it and Rip it!!
Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Gear is a most having a bike sir!
Now... I rather die on two wheels having a good time then doing nothing... I always say if its time for me to go then will take me whenever he wants to take me... Sleeping, eating, ... U get the point.. Now go put some gear on!!!!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years

Your going to die, no one gets out alive...

That being said, quit being a , tell them to STFU and put some gear on...

That is all.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #24
Innocent Bystander
Feedback Rating: (3)

2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

So much of it is in your hands, the rest is beyond your control. Here's the voice of a 40 year old that's buried too many friends over the years and still rides. Do everything in your power to keep a handle on that which is in your hands. YOU control what you wear, how you ride, whether you pay attention and use your head or ride like an idiot. Maybe DOES take you when it's your time, but helps those that help themselves. You've got to do your part. Skills, Judgement, Gear. When you're in over your head or feeling pressure from those around you, when you're riding with a bunch of idiots and you know it, when it's "too hot" for gear, when you've "mastered" your 600 and need more bike (and deep down you know you've got a lot to learn still) - back off for a minute, use your head and do the smart thing.

I've watched too many good people get killed and seriously hurt over the years for very very preventable things. I've been on the receiving end of lapses in judgement and it's cost me money and broken bones. Even when you do your best, bad things can still happen. I lost a best friend in 2007 to a freak mechanical issue in his final drive that caused his rear to lock up on the interstate and he was dumped and run over. I lost another one of our best friends in the old crew last year to a deer collision on his way to work. Lost my first bike friend back '93 to a GSXR1100 and known more than a couple other casual friends since then to die and and a couple of close ones to get paralyzed like my buddy Pete Anziano - hit by a truck running wide up in the mountains.

Don't ever lull yourself into thinking this is safe. It is not, but it is worth the calculated risk to most of us. You have the ability to improve your odds every single time you hop on the bike. A lot of it is up to you.

It IS more dangerous to ride than drive, but it's a lot more rewarding as well. I've buried three good friends from skydiving and four of my close riding buddies over the years so far. It never gets easier. I still dearly miss each of them very much. Each time, it makes you reconsider what you do and how you do it - and IF you want to keep doing it. So far, my answer has always been the same, keep on going.

There was always a common old skydiver saying that applies a lot to bikes as well -"There are old skydivers and there are bold skydivers, but there are few old bold skydivers." Same applies here in a lot of ways. Use your head, stay relaxed and focused, wear your gear, get some skills and don't ride with douchebags. Good luck and stay safe.
That which did not kill me has only made me a lot more stiff and sore the rest of the time.
CCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
Thread Savior
Feedback Rating: (0)

1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Originally Posted by ARKEM View Post
i wear my lid at all times, not my jacket so much because of the heat.
better to sweat than bleed, bro.

but on topic...i used to hear it from the family, but they know i have some common sense, and they dont worry too much. they still mention it every know and then.

for one, i avoid talking about motorcycles to people who give those kind of speeches. last thing you want to do is talk to them about how someone almost came into your lane, or how the gravel almost made you lose it. dont talk to them about how fast you were going, or how far you lean. pretty much dont talk to them about bikes at all. if they ask about it, treat it like its no big deal and move on.

you also learn how to change the subject.
Brought to you by Carls Jr.!
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
Rowdy Riders @ UTSA

Experience: 9 years

Sv 1000s 2k7
WTB 08 Blk/Orange Busa

my advice would be pay attention, Plan that every car on/off the road will hit you at any point in time and you should be set. If your expecting that everycar will hit you then u have a 1up on noob wreckless cage drivers
Rowdy Riders @ UTSA: Officer.
trumindgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #27
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

I often think of this joke when people give me that kind or call it a "murder"cycle:

I recently picked a new primary care physician. After two
visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing "fairly
well" for my age. A little concerned about that comment, I
couldn't resist asking him, "Do you think I'll live to be 80?"

He asked,"Well, do you smoke tobacco or drink beer?"

"Oh no," I replied. "I've never done either."

Then he asked, "Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbequed ribs?"

I said "No, I've heard that all red meat is very unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf?"
he said.

"No, I don't," I said.

He said, "Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or
fool around with sexy women?"

"No," I said. "I've never done any of those things."

He looked at me and said, "Then why do you give a
if you live to be 80?"
There is no charge for awesomeness!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #28
Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

It always amazes/impresses me how many people go down and go down hard at trackdays or races and just get up and walk away. Of course, not everyone has such fortune but many do. Consider doing a trackday and invite your friends/family to witness it for themselves.
ormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #29

CONFIDENCE brings EXCELLENCE. dont think about any of it while ur riding. worst thing u will do to yourself. ENJOY while u ride.

I've had a fall 10 years ago when i use to ride like a dumb but i guess now im less of a dumb so i bought another one! lol
haythamboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #30
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Originally Posted by ARKEM View Post
Ive had my bike for about two months now. I get so many people telling me i'am riding my coffin. Or i'am going to die. or they bring up i heard so and so was killed or brain Dead. i wear my lid at all times, not my jacket so much because of the heat.

I know you guys ride and just wanted see if you have gone through this and/or what to say to these people. I'am hooked and i love riding, still a little slower than the rest but i like to cruise.

any thoughts?

Thanks Guys
(Sorry for the writing skill as you can see i suck at it)
Wheelie in front of their house and do burn-outs on their driveway
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #31
Big and Cranky...
Feedback Rating: (2)

A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Wheelie in front of their house and do burn-outs on their driveway

....really though. consider a trackday.
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #32

Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
I've been riding for 30 years now and I still hear those words being spoken to me. Goes in one ear and out the other. I could care less what others think, especially people that have never ridden and have no clue on what motorcycling is all about.
+1 - make it 40 years of riding and still hear it. It will never stop.

I just say this to those folks: some people are content to ride the merry-go-round, which is safe, but boring, but some of us must ride the roller coaster.

Which one are you?
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #33
01101000 01101001
Feedback Rating: (3)

lots of bikes from 80cc to 1200cc
Current : ZX11

Originally Posted by The -_-Asian View Post
All in all, motorcycle gets you things like girls, mpg's, fun times, cool stats, and then more girls....
HOLY ! bike attract girls!!!! and I will get stats! I better let my wife know! I better start working on my "cool pose"

Yup, been hearing it for years. For those close to me, I made abundantly clear that while I understand the expressed concern, its my choice to ride and I don't want to hear that every time I see them.
That may be your first bike....but its not your last....
ST675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #34
Stang Man
being rude
Feedback Rating: (1)

2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

The ones talking are the ones that are too scared to ride, or their wife won't let them buy a bike.

Best thing to do is wear your gear, help your chances.

I went down with all my gear and walked away with no issues. People that DON'T ride will hear that you've gone down, and are perfectly fine, and usually change their tune about "Oh you're gonna die bla bla bla!"
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
1989 Ford Mustang GT: 331, AFR 185's, full MM suspension, Cobra brakes
1991 Mazda RX-7: 5.0 V8, 24 Hours of Lemons racecar
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #35

Buell Ulysses
Concours 14

Originally Posted by CCH View Post
Do everything in your power to keep a handle on that which is in your hands.
and this

Originally Posted by CCH View Post
don't ride with douchebags.
Just plain good advice
peelandwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #36
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years

2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Originally Posted by theonepr83 View Post
everone is going too talk bs cuz there not a ridder you have to be a ridder to understand just dont think about dieing when you ride just have fun and be safe
Originally Posted by theonepr83 View Post
i was on my cell phone sorry didn't think it was spelling class
I'm tired of the cell phone excuse so now I'm going to be a .

"everone" is most likely a typo...understood

I'll even let the the two o's in too slide. maybe you were just mashing that o button

cuz instead of cause...ok you saved two letters, not bad

but there instead of they're makes me start hating you a little.

and then ridder instead of rider. WTF you're adding a letter. and you do it twice so it wasn't a mistake. it's RIDER, it, not ridder.

ok, I'm done. except for a translation of your original post

Everyone is going to talk bullshit cause they are not riders. You have to be a rider to understand. Just don't think about dying when you ride. Just have fun and be safe.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #37

Experience: 3 years

2008 Kawasaki ZX10R
1995 Kawasaki Concours 1000
*SOLD* 2007 Kawasaki KLR650

Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
do what I do, get online and look up daily car crashes and then print them. Start laying these around the house and your friends houses. Then start every conversation with; Did you see someone else died in a car wreck today? I am so glad I'm riding a bike, geez its got to be so unsafe to travel around in a car now a days!

(only works if you print 10-30 car wrecks)

I have done that, now I just tell people that it is a proven statistic that more people die in car accidents than in motorcycles accidents. They then proceed to tell me "well ya because there are more cars on the road" which I respond "so I should take a chance and add to that statistic or ride safe and live longer" most of the time they shut-up after that....then again so far all the people who have told me this have not been the brightest people out there so simple word confusion really messes with them
behemothlee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #38

kawasaki 636 2005

Better to die on the front page enjoying life than to die in a nursing home all over yourself.
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #39
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

cychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #40

I'm married with two kids..I blame it on the bike.
Vividkid is offline   Reply With Quote