MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #101
Colonel
Big Blu

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
Wasn't anything uber about my suspension needing a rework from day one to be correct for my weight. And if anyone thinks $200 buys you some WSBK suspension then you may want to find another hobby. I simply had to swap springs. Not shocks or valving. If you have members of your group on extreme ends of the weight scale a few clicks on a shock won't get you what you need for that rider to be comfortable. Once you get uncomfortable - splat.

I'm not fast. At all. What I know is that the learning you want to take place will coincide with going faster. As skills and mental focus increase so does the speed you comfortably navigate the track by. People in the group will progress at different rates in those categories and then your conflicts will begin.

You want to shrug that off by claiming people are being elitist then be my guest.
Very true, but don't you think we can find a solution to that? Or is impossible to group classes of weight in the grand scheme of things!

I didn't expect to get 9 people ranging from 120lbs to 420lbs. I think those truly interested would already know they want to be on the track and know their weights are ok for the track. But if not and I get a 420Lb'er (no offense if you're that big), he and I can wait till the 120lbs-160lbs class goes, then the 160-200lbs class and then our gorup 200-420lb.

Chance of having such a wide range of people out of 9 is kinda ridculous, dont you think? Its just a way for people to state that they are right about weight vs suspension. what if we all weighed 240lbs like me and we were all 6'2"??? Hmmm anyone think of that scenario.

Seriously though, I hope you bish's don't get to upset over what I say. I am a track noob through and through. Although after riding with so many, I get the "You should hit the track dude, you'd love it!"

So thats why I started this thread, I don't want to make my bike a track bike and I don't want to buy a track bike for what I might do 5 or 6 times in a year.

To me learning about the bike is more fun than riding on the track. I ride streets everyday, thats my fun!
Where can I go and buy a large turkey pot pie to feed 10-12 people? PimpRice Off Topic 11 11-09-2011 07:18 AM
2000 people at TEA party protest in Washington? hotcknstrips Off Topic 7 07-06-2009 01:43 AM
people still fall for this? this is soooooooooo 2000 Azylum Off Topic 11 03-26-2008 10:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #102
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I love you
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #103
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
lmao...

Thanks for clarifying that you really are an idiot...and can't be helped.
-Cody
I hope to you can Kick my , I need a good whoopin! My smart needs to be put in it's place!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #104
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Very true, but don't you think we can find a solution to that? Or is impossible to group classes of weight in the grand scheme of things!
If you're talking about the way they're grouped at trackdays, they're grouped by experience and speed not rider weight.

If you're talking about telling a part-owner in yourt scheme he can't go to a particular trackday because he's too fat or skinny...you gotta be kidding me.

Quote:
I didn't expect to get 9 people ranging from 120lbs to 420lbs.
You're overestimating the adjustability of the stock springs. A range of 150-260 would be too much for one bike.

Quote:
I think those truly interested would already know they want to be on the track and know their weights are ok for the track. But if not and I get a 420Lb'er (no offense if you're that big), he and I can wait till the 120lbs-160lbs class goes, then the 160-200lbs class and then our gorup 200-420lb.
Once again, explain your fatty/skinny class theory.

Quote:
Chance of having such a wide range of people out of 9 is kinda ridculous, dont you think? Its just a way for people to state that they are right about weight vs suspension. what if we all weighed 240lbs like me and we were all 6'2"??? Hmmm anyone think of that scenario.
Stock rearsets would mean everyone couldn't complain about height. If you could find 9 other guys that were near your weight and willing to go with your deal you'd be money. However, it appears you're finding it difficult to find even 2 other guys willing so finding 9 in a particular weight window does in fact seem ridiculous.

Quote:
So thats why I started this thread, I don't want to make my bike a track bike and I don't want to buy a track bike for what I might do 5 or 6 times in a year.
I have an '04 gsxr 600 trackbike for sale. I'm asking $2500. That's, at most $500 more than you were willing to spend on a bike that you'd then have to share. Why NOT own your own bike if its within the price range you're willing to pay!?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #105
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I don't understand I guess, if you're so good at your job, why WOULDN'T you get money to buy a bike, parts, or pay for labor instead of getting other members to pay the cash?

The 9 others can learn, on the 9 other bikes they have. What does anyone have to gain by giving you 2 extra grand out of their pockets to "sometimes" ride a bike or "maybe" have it last long enough to see the 10th person's turn?
Ok senator, you are lost in the heat of this post. Its not about asking anyone for money! I can buy 9 beemers and provide 1 for each one of my team mates, the issue has never been money for me!

But I'm also not stupid, which is why I have money!!! I don't want to be a track junkie!!!!! I want to spend 10 days at most at the track riding and maybe 120 days spending time with the rest of the group cheering them on, learning something new.

I sure as don't want your money or need it!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #106
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:

I didn't expect to get 9 people ranging from 120lbs to 420lbs. I think those truly interested would already know they want to be on the track and know their weights are ok for the track. But if not and I get a 420Lb'er (no offense if you're that big), he and I can wait till the 120lbs-160lbs class goes, then the 160-200lbs class and then our gorup 200-420lb.

Seriously though, I hope you bish's don't get to upset over what I say. I am a track noob through and through. Although after riding with so many, I get the "You should hit the track dude, you'd love it!"

To me learning about the bike is more fun than riding on the track. I ride streets everyday, thats my fun!
Our small group of friends includes a range of riders from 5'8" 150lbs to 6'3" 240lbs. That's easily enough range to exceed stock spring rates one way or another in one or two track days. Keep in mind that the suspension doesn't need to fail completely. All it has to do is introduce unnerving responses to the rider. Especially a new rider. Once they get uncomfortable then a wreck can easily happen. What doesn't look fast from the sidelines can be overwhelming on the bike when you panic. My suspension didn't directly cause my first wreck, but lack of confidence in it helped me make the very wrong choice when the time came. Minus some bone and plus some metal bits I came out with a hard lesson learned.

It didn't take a 420lb person. Or some extreme example. The next time you go to any MH meet and greet or group ride just look at the different body types. A 100lb difference is easily found without looking for the guy that rode in on a flatbed.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #107
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
"

maybe just do the first 2 TDs on the BMW, and see how you like..

a could almost bet that after the second TD you will WANT to buy a cheapy track .

..also, considering how often you ride. if you do get eh track bug 5-6 times a year would be a low estimate.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #108
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
the guy that rode in on a flatbed.
Why do you say such mean things about me
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #109
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
I have an '04 gsxr 600 trackbike for sale. I'm asking $2500. That's, at most $500 more than you were willing to spend on a bike that you'd then have to share. Why NOT own your own bike if its within the price range you're willing to pay!?
FOR FUN!!!!! I Want to do this for fun!!! I bought a S1000RR for FUNNNNNNN!!!!! I could have saved a load of money and bought a 600, I could have saved a ton of money and bought any other liter bike (other than the KTM). I bought a BMW for to have fun!!

I started this thread to have FUNNNN at the track with people like me! The weight class was an example of this group of 10 only, not anything to do with the track!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #110
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

BMWs are no fun
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #111
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
FOR FUN!!!!! I Want to do this for fun!!! I bought a S1000RR for FUNNNNNNN!!!!! I could have saved a load of money and bought a 600, I could have saved a ton of money and bought any other liter bike (other than the KTM). I bought a BMW for to have fun!!

I started this thread to have FUNNNN at the track with people like me! The weight class was an example of this group of 10 only, not anything to do with the track!

, I've been duped. I had no idea the only fun bike every produced was a BMW S1000RR. I'm now mad at Suzuki for lying to me about the fun of my 600.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #112
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Holy , omg I now know why you guys are killing me! I made a huge mistake in my post!! It was supposed to say, looking for 4 guys to go in on a used 600 track bike under $2500, to which I will pay $2000, the other 4 pay up the rest.

Holy , man do I feel stupid, my bad guys I don't know how I didn't catch that type-o!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #113
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
, I've been duped. I had no idea the only fun bike every produced was a BMW S1000RR. I'm now mad at Suzuki for lying to me about the fun of my 600.
You should be, that 600 sucks ! Dude, I would take it out back and burn it!! jk
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #114
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Holy , omg I now know why you guys are killing me! I made a huge mistake in my post!! It was supposed to say, looking for 4 guys to go in on a used 600 track bike under $2500, to which I will pay $2000, the other 4 pay up the rest.

Holy , man do I feel stupid, my bad guys I don't know how I didn't catch that type-o!!!!
i think your again missing the point.

two things:
1) Do at least 1 TD at a decently sized track (MSRH,TWS (Texas World Speedway)) and re-assess how you feel about it and this entire discussion.

2) as stated before. it's MH, you WILL get criticism. lucky for you most of it has been constructive. its not always like that around here. people are just trying to throw some wisdom and realistic ideas in your direction.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #115
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
BMWs are no fun
Thats not true Bevo, this one is so much fun!picturephp?albumid428&amppictureid2233
Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #116
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Ok I'm in for negotiating. Seriously I've got an extra 2K sitting in the bank as play money and would love to ride a BMW. As long as you can give me reasonable answers to these questions, I'd consider it.

1. Who's name is the bike going to be under?
2. Where is the bike going to be stored?
3. Will you have insurance on the bike?
4. What insurance company will it be with?
5. What kind of coverage will it have?
a) Full Coverage, Collision, theft, fire?
6. Will all 10 people be listed and pay premium for each individual?
7. Does that company allow claims for off-road, non-competitive track riding?
8. Who will be the person that fixes mechanical problems on the bike?
9. What if I want MY mechanic to work on the bike before I ride it?
10. What kind of tires will the bike have or will we have 10 different sets of wheels/tires?
11. Will the bike be regular or GP shift?
12. What if someone wants to switch the shift linkage?
13. How will it be handled if someone wants to change the clip-on angle or lever height and resistance?
14. What if someone crashes the bike?
15. Are they responsible to pay for the deductible on the bike or would they have to pay cash to fix it?
16. If they make a claim and our insurance goes up, do I have to pay for the increase because someone else crashed the bike?
17. What happens if they bike is stolen from the primary keeper? Are we all responsible for deductible or the keeper?
18. What if one person decides to quit the team, do we bring on someone else, or split the rising costs ourselves?
19. What if someone crashes the bike and I've already paid for my next TD, do I get reimbursed for that?
20. What if it's John Doe's day to ride the bike, but we trailer it with my trailer, behind your vehicle and it falls, but possibly John Doe didn't tie the bike down right? However my trailer is kind of old and shaky, but you did stop short at the light in your own vehicle? Neither of our car insurances cover the bike, but it wasn't necessarily our faults.

More coming shortly. I don't think these questions are too much to ask for me forking over my $2,000+ to you.

21. What happens when the person who's name the bike is under decides to leave to the team, who's name does it go under then, and who's pays the fees and taxes?
22. What if I don't get a full TD because of rain/etc. Does my scheduled day get rescheduled before anyone else?
23. Do we even get a full day, or do multiple people have to pay for the same TD since TD Orgs usually charge per PERSON not by bike?
24. What if I don't like the color of the bike and I want to bright orange so I can say "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!!!"?

I just think there are too many variables that are out of your control.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #117
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:

Or you could attempt to talk someone down from $2500 to $2000, get a bike that's all your own, get a bike that's still fun, get a bike that's cheap to get parts for, get a bike that crashes better, and get a bike that you don't care about.

Seems like a win-win. You're more likely to push harder if you know the bike your on isn't pretty, doesn't need to be preserved, isn't going to make 9 other guys mad at your for taking it out of service, and isn't going to cost much (if any) to put right back on the track.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #118
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
i think your again missing the point.

two things:
1) Do at least 1 TD at a decently sized track (MSRH,TWS (Texas World Speedway)) and re-assess how you feel about it and this entire discussion.

2) as stated before. it's MH, you WILL get criticism. lucky for you most of it has been constructive. its not always like that around here. people are just trying to throw some wisdom and realistic ideas in your direction.
I am so laid back theres never an issue with that, I'm mainly posting to keep you guys going hahahahaha. Truely I know you guys are righ, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what any of you all say if I do it or not. Once done, is when I would ask you all questions.

This wasn't a post on whether or not to do it, it was a; is anyone interested in doing it despite what anyone thinks or says, just for fun
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #119
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Ok I'm in for negotiating. Seriously I've got an extra 2K sitting in the bank as play money and would love to ride a BMW. As long as you can give me reasonable answers to these questions, I'd consider it.

1. Who's name is the bike going to be under?
2. Where is the bike going to be stored?
3. Will you have insurance on the bike?
4. What insurance company will it be with?
5. What kind of coverage will it have?
a) Full Coverage, Collision, theft, fire?
6. Will all 10 people be listed and pay premium for each individual?
7. Does that company allow claims for off-road, non-competitive track riding?
8. Who will be the person that fixes mechanical problems on the bike?
9. What if I want MY mechanic to work on the bike before I ride it?
10. What kind of tires will the bike have or will we have 10 different sets of wheels/tires?
11. Will the bike be regular or GP shift?
12. What if someone wants to switch the shift linkage?
13. How will it be handled if someone wants to change the clip-on angle or lever height and resistance?
14. What if someone crashes the bike?
15. Are they responsible to pay for the deductible on the bike or would they have to pay cash to fix it?
16. If they make a claim and our insurance goes up, do I have to pay for the increase because someone else crashed the bike?
17. What happens if they bike is stolen from the primary keeper? Are we all responsible for deductible or the keeper?
18. What if one person decides to quit the team, do we bring on someone else, or split the rising costs ourselves?
19. What if someone crashes the bike and I've already paid for my next TD, do I get reimbursed for that?
20. What if it's John Doe's day to ride the bike, but we trailer it with my trailer, behind your vehicle and it falls, but possibly John Doe didn't tie the bike down right? However my trailer is kind of old and shaky, but you did stop short at the light in your own vehicle? Neither of our car insurances cover the bike, but it wasn't necessarily our faults.

More coming shortly. I don't think these questions are too much to ask for me forking over my $2,000+ to you.

21. What happens when the person who's name the bike is under decides to leave to the team, who's name does it go under then, and who's pays the fees and taxes?
22. What if I don't get a full TD because of rain/etc. Does my scheduled day get rescheduled before anyone else?
23. Do we even get a full day, or do multiple people have to pay for the same TD since TD Orgs usually charge per PERSON not by bike?
24. What if I don't like the color of the bike and I want to bright orange so I can say "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!!!!"?

I just think there are too many variables that are out of your control.

25. what will the gearing of the bike be?
26. are we gonna change the gearing between each session to fit each rider?

...very well said Bill.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #120
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray