MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #81
Colonel
Big Blu

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Warning: BMWs are totally unstable unless you modify the shiznit out of it
I know right! How does someone think they know so much, yet appear to be so #&#^$^#(@))? Has he not seen all the quotes from pro riders statings its one of few bikes that can hit the track with little to nothing done!

Geez
Where can I go and buy a large turkey pot pie to feed 10-12 people? PimpRice Off Topic 11 11-09-2011 07:18 AM
2000 people at TEA party protest in Washington? hotcknstrips Off Topic 7 07-06-2009 01:43 AM
people still fall for this? this is soooooooooo 2000 Azylum Off Topic 11 03-26-2008 10:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #82
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I appreciate your input and everyone elses, I guess I have the idea of track riding all wrong. I didn't know you had to go to the wall first day, I also didn't know you had to do everything to your bike the first ride out.

Geez thats an aweful lot, now that I see it from you guys and how when you goto the track you already have that petrfect bike all done up, the perfect gear to go with it, and there are so many willing to come over and help you out. Just seems like no fun! I thought it was about learning, comradery, and getting better as time goes by, along with your bike getting better as time goes by, shew!!!! You guys saved me a big headache, thank you!!!

So as stated before, lets end this thread, seeing I'm to IMO for it anyhow. I'd hate to get another track riders panties into a bunch hahaha .
You're an idiot, but I'm going to attempt to help you out anyway.

This last Monday at TWS (Texas World Speedway), in the novice class, someone got target fixated on someone in front of them and hit them. Last month, 3 riders went down because of coolant on the track that was unseen.

My first track day I ran off the track but was able to keep it up.

In all of these cases, no one was trying to go to the wall all out Rossi-style. Going down happens. Have you ever gone down before? I have twice on the street. I wasn't being an idiot, I just made noob mistakes.

I agree with you that suspension set up isnt a big deal for a novice rider. Most of the time, a flat head screw driver and an allen wrench will do the trick. Then you just get it setup for each rider and write down what the adjustments were. Done!

I was actually thinking about doing something similar, but I'd think you'd be much better off with 4 people and a cheaper bike. You mention that you're just trying to learn...but what happens when you do learn? Do you plan on staying novice forever? Eventually you and your friends are going to get better and eventually, someone will go down. Now I think the logistics of crashing is easy enough to figure out. Everyone pays an equal amount to get it repaired...unless you wreck more than 1x every 2 years...after that, you pay for it yourself. Something along those lines...

Anyway, my point isnt that you can't do it, I would just do it with less people on a cheaper bike that has cheap/easy to replace parts. That's the only thing I see wrong with your plan. Otherwise, I think it'd be a cool idea.

Good luck
-Cody

EDIT: and with 4 people, you could just have 2 people riding / track day, swapping out every other session. That's really the only way you could learn. There's not even 10 track sessions in a typical track day. And if you're only putting 2 people / track day, you'd get to ride a half day every 5 track days. Just doesnt seem like you'd be getting a lot out of it.

Last edited by exalted512; 06-02-2011 at 10:24 AM.
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #83
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
bump for an answer...
well when your track winnings start coming in and you learn to have fun with friends, you might one day be a part of a team from a forum you post on, that you've met so many good friends on, and then you'll know why.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #84
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
You're an idiot, but I'm going to attempt to help you out anyway... Last month, 3 riders went down because of coolant on the track that was unseen....My first track day I ran off the track but was able to keep it up...I wasn't being an idiot, I just made noob mistakes.
-Cody
If I'm an idiot, what are you? Its a not a noob mistake to hit coolant unseen, its not anyones fault and it probably couldn't be prevented. So how you think my suspension is going to stop me from hitting coolant is beyond me!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #85
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

this is a great thread
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #86
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
well when your track winnings start coming in and you learn to have fun with friends, you might one day be a part of a team from a forum you post on, that you've met so many good friends on, and then you'll know why.
You talk up about all this money you get from sponsorships, why are you asking for our money?
Why wouldn't you just get the money to buy your own track bike?

Stop avoiding my questions with statements that sound like they came from the "Mighty Ducks" movies.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #87
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
If I'm an idiot, what are you? Its a not a noob mistake to hit coolant unseen, its not anyones fault and it probably couldn't be prevented. So how you think my suspension is going to stop me from hitting coolant is beyond me!
lmao. 'I know you are but what am I?' Nice post Pee-wee Herman. This post just confirms my thoughts. You should actually try reading...it might help.

I specifically said that no one was going all out. I never said it was someone else's fault. I was giving examples of how sometimes, no matter if you're careful and just trying to learn, that you can go down. I never said suspension would prevent it...and I actually agreed with you on suspension.

Thanks for clarifying that you really are an idiot...and can't be helped.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #88
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Haslams Bimmer

frrkkn sweet

oooppps, second one isn't lol
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #89
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Haslams Bimmer

frrkkn sweet

OMG! That looks like a stock frame! WTF????
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #90
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
No, but enough for us to learn on you super genius track rider!! We're not competing people, just learning!!!!! Having fun at the track, not taking it super uber serious like you ! Not going to the wall, just learning!!! Holy Bejeebus why the don't I see you guys in TV? You guys are the uber elite, yet I dont see any of you seasoned riders on TV?? Geez, let me bank roll you guys so that you'll have me as a sponsor and can get out there and ride like the pro's, oh wait youve already been on the track for how long and no ones picked you up, no way I'm bank rolling you then. Seems they dont think you know as much as you think you do!!

All praise to the super uber non signed elite!!!

Here's an answer where you weren't expecting one: its because I'm fat. I'll never win races because I'm at a performance disadvantage. I'll never win races because I have to work twice as hard to move my fat around on the bike than the skinny guy next to me. Does that mean I don't know ? Well I guess so. , never knew being overweight also made you stupid and incapable of learning and/or applying your own personal experience. Yes that's right, I'm on of those people that can't just go out on a bike fresh off the showroom floor and "learn on it" I sack out the front suspension. Until recently, most bikes were sprung for a 160lb rider on the front. No amount of 5 minute preload adjustments was going to keep me from bottoming out the forks, And guess what? There are guys MUCH heavier than me doing trackdays. Nowadays, a lot of bikes are sprung for a 200 lb rider. So no amount of preload adjustment is going to be safe for a 150 guy.............and Kibitzer's experience is stone cold proof of that.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #91
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
You talk up about all this money you get from sponsorships, why are you asking for our money?
Why wouldn't you just get the money to buy your own track bike?

Stop avoiding my questions with statements that sound like they came from the "Mighty Ducks" movies.
Um, did you not see the post? How am I avoiding anyones question. I wanted to do this with people wanting to learn like myself. I don't have time to be at the track all the time! I was in Paris last week, Las Vegas before that, Nashville before that, Cancun, and that was just April/May.

I don't get any money for sponsorships, you misread my post, I raise millions in sponsorships for my employers, not me. Its my job, meaning I'm good at it and I think I could do it for us.

Again, super uber non signed track rider. This was a post for fun in the sun, to learn about the track, have fun at the track, and learn about the S1000RR that I already own, in a way that only the track would teach me.

I'm having so much fun on my bike, I thought it would be awesome if we could get 9 others wanting to have just as much fun!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #92
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Here's an answer where you weren't expecting one: its because I'm fat. I'll never win races because I'm at a performance disadvantage. I'll never win races because I have to work twice as hard to move my fat around on the bike than the skinny guy next to me. Does that mean I don't know ? Well I guess so. , never knew being overweight also made you stupid and incapable of learning and or applying your own personal experience. Yes that's right, I'm on of those people that can't just go out on a bike fresh off the showroom floor and "learn on it" I sack out the front suspension. Until recently, most bikes were sprung for a 160lb rider on the front. No amount of 5 minute preload adjustments was going to keep me from bottoming out the forks, And guess what? There are guys MUCH heavier than me doing trackdays.
To summarize: Sportbikes aren't designed to fit extreme human body types
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #93
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Here's an answer where you weren't expecting one: its because I'm fat. I'll never win races because I'm at a performance disadvantage. I'll never win races because I have to work twice as hard to move my fat around on the bike than the skinny guy next to me. Does that mean I don't know ? Well I guess so. , never knew being overweight also made you stupid and incapable of learning and or applying your own personal experience. Yes that's right, I'm on of those people that can't just go out on a bike fresh off the showroom floor and "learn on it" I sack out the front suspension. Until recently, most bikes were sprung for a 160lb rider on the front. No amount of 5 minute preload adjustments was going to keep me from bottoming out the forks, And guess what? There are guys MUCH heavier than me doing trackdays. Nowadays, a lot of bikes are sprung for a 200 lb rider. So no amount of preload adjustment is going to be safe for a 150 guy.............and Kibitzer's experience is stone cold proof of that.
So then wouldn't it be fun to hook up with some track noobs and learn things on a different level. I'm fat and I don't ever want to compete. I just want to hit the track with guys/gals and have some fun on my level.

Could I walk onto the track and say "Hey guys I own a beemer and want to trun it into a track bike, can I join up with you all?" UGH YES!!!! I know this, I'm kinda fun to be around (tooting my own horn), I got mad jokes and I bring motivation to any environment.

But thats not starting a team, having our first bike together, learning something new from what I already know. Seems everyone thinks I'm a noob when it comes to bikes, so I roll with that. Weird how they think I can't tear apart and put back together a bike.

Which is why I wanted to start off fresh, new, learn on my level and I will alsways know that if I have a question, I can go next door to super uber non signed Track rider senator to ask it and maybe since hes so awesomely helpful, he'll answer it for us
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #94
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
To summarize: Sportbikes aren't designed to fit extreme human body types
Yup, and if you're one of those extremes, adjusting suspension is a requirement. Not something you can flippantly dismiss and make shitty, sarcastic remarks dimissing the necessity.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #95
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Wasn't anything uber about my suspension needing a rework from day one to be correct for my weight. And if anyone thinks $200 buys you some WSBK suspension then you may want to find another hobby. I simply had to swap springs. Not shocks or valving. If you have members of your group on extreme ends of the weight scale a few clicks on a shock won't get you what you need for that rider to be comfortable. Once you get uncomfortable - splat.

I'm not fast. At all. What I know is that the learning you want to take place will coincide with going faster. As skills and mental focus increase so does the speed you comfortably navigate the track by. People in the group will progress at different rates in those categories and then your conflicts will begin.

You want to shrug that off by claiming people are being elitist then be my guest.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #96
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
Haslams Bimmer

frrkkn sweet

very saweet!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #97
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Um, did you not see the post? How am I avoiding anyones question. I wanted to do this with people wanting to learn like myself. I don't have time to be at the track all the time! I was in Paris last week, Las Vegas before that, Nashville before that, Cancun, and that was just April/May.

I don't get any money for sponsorships, you misread my post, I raise millions in sponsorships for my employers, not me. Its my job, meaning I'm good at it and I think I could do it for us.

Again, super uber non signed track rider. This was a post for fun in the sun, to learn about the track, have fun at the track, and learn about the S1000RR that I already own, in a way that only the track would teach me.

I'm having so much fun on my bike, I thought it would be awesome if we could get 9 others wanting to have just as much fun!
I don't understand I guess, if you're so good at your job, why WOULDN'T you get money to buy a bike, parts, or pay for labor instead of getting other members to pay the cash?

The 9 others can learn, on the 9 other bikes they have. What does anyone have to gain by giving you 2 extra grand out of their pockets to "sometimes" ride a bike or "maybe" have it last long enough to see the 10th person's turn?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #98
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Yup, and if you're one of those extremes, adjusting suspension is a requirement. Not something you can flippantly dismiss and make shitty, sarcastic remarks dimissing the necessity.
It's also not a requirement for every bike and every rider on every track. It's much more likely than not, that for a track noob in a novice class, a crash is the result of rider error.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #99
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
So then wouldn't it be fun to hook up with some track noobs and learn things on a different level. I'm fat and I don't ever want to compete. I just want to hit the track with guys/gals and have some fun on my level.

Could I walk onto the track and say "Hey guys I own a beemer and want to trun it into a track bike, can I join up with you all?" UGH YES!!!! I know this, I'm kinda fun to be around (tooting my own horn), I got mad jokes and I bring motivation to any environment.

But thats not starting a team, having our first bike together, learning something new from what I already know. Seems everyone thinks I'm a noob when it comes to bikes, so I roll with that. Weird how they think I can't tear apart and put back together a bike.

Which is why I wanted to start off fresh, new, learn on my level and I will alsways know that if I have a question, I can go next door to super uber non signed Track rider senator to ask it and maybe since hes so awesomely helpful, he'll answer it for us
I'm just asking questions. Questions you can't answer that might save some new kid from actually giving you any kind of money.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #100
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
It's also not a requirement for every bike and every rider on every track. It's much more likely than not, that for a track noob in a novice class, a crash is the result of rider error.
I'll avoid quoting myself again, and assume you know what I'm going to put here.

CMRA #302

Advertisement