MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #61
ochiwon
likes tire walls

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (sold)
2005 Ninja 500 (sold)
Honda 954RR streetfighter!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
First time noobs to the track and you want to put them on an s1000rr??
newb on first track day + liter bike =

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184152

ochiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can I go and buy a large turkey pot pie to feed 10-12 people? PimpRice Off Topic 11 11-09-2011 07:18 AM
2000 people at TEA party protest in Washington? hotcknstrips Off Topic 7 07-06-2009 01:43 AM
people still fall for this? this is soooooooooo 2000 Azylum Off Topic 11 03-26-2008 10:49 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #62
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
You're right....for one trackday. However, that's also assuming that the rider is in the range between somewhat lighter and somewhat heavier than what the bike was sprung for. If you take an Aaron, and put him on a stone stock '04 gsxr 600 (sprung for a 160 lb rider), he can EASILY bottom that bike out on a first trackday if he picks up the pace at all. Conversily, you take a Kib, and put him on a '08 CBR 600 (sprung for a 200 lb rider) and he could EASILY wash the front because the front suspension doesn't compress at all.
Yea, and the suspension could be set up perfectly and you can still crash. On the other hand, you can do a track day on a stretched bike and not crash at all.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #63
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Yea, and the suspension could be set up perfectly and you can still crash. On the other hand, you can do a track day on a stretched bike and not crash at all.
so save your $30 and invite easily correctable crashes

it. Lets put WSBK guys on factory suspension. Those dudes crash constantly, they don't need those fancy-pantsy gas forks....they're going down anyway.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #64
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:

it. Lets put WSBK guys on factory suspension. Those dudes crash constantly, they don't need those fancy-pantsy gas forks....they're going down anyway.
I had Motorcycles Unlimited set up my suspension, but it's not the end all be all to riding on the track. I guarantee you that if WSBK rules dictated that only factory suspensions could be used, someone would still win the race
Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #65
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I had Motorcycles Unlimited set up my suspension, but it's not the end all be all to riding on the track. I guarantee you that if WSBK rules dictated that only factory suspensions could be used, someone would still win the race
Nobody ever said it was the end all be all. However, if $30 is going to remove one cause of crashing, AND give me piece of mind...................
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #66
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Nobody ever said it was the end all be all. However, if $30 is going to remove one cause of crashing, AND give me piece of mind...................
There a lot more variables to worry about for a crash than the default settings on a factory suspension for a new supersport
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #67
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
There a lot more variables to worry about for a crash than the default settings on a factory suspension for a new supersport
And my response is once again.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0

Your attitude seems to me "well, you might crash or you might not, and there's noting you can do to stop it, so there's no point in spending money on your motorcycle to only reduce the chance of avoiding crashes."

Which pretty much means there's hundreds of dudes who wasted money on slicks, tire warmers, and suspension. I don't see the logic in your stance at all.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #68
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
And my response is once again.....

Your attitude seems to me "well, you might crash or you might not, and there's noting you can do to stop it, so there's no point in spending money on your motorcycle to only reduce the chance of avoiding crashes."

Which pretty much means there's hundreds of dudes who wasted money on slicks, tire warmers, and suspension. I don't see the logic in your stance at all.
My point exactly, there are a lot more variables than just suspension. A new supersport is not even track worthy unless you replace all the components with high quality aftermarket parts So don't even try it
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #69
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Dudes it's a Beemer!!! The suspension is set at neutral from factory on a 5 setting, given any mans weight we can determine the sag and give the 40mm to 45mm sag needed. To adjust the preload is as easy as a turn from the Alan wrench. So who gives 2 about that!! That's the fun, it takes all of 2 minutes to change all 4 of my tuners and another 2 minutes to give a turn or 2 to my preload. Um if you guys think 5 minutes worth of work is a lot then, !!!

After knowing everyone's weight the first few rides, we only have to worry about if they lost/gained weight since last ride. But again to get out the tape and be accurate is merely a few moments!!
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #70
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
Dudes it's a Beemer!!! The suspension is set at neutral from factory on a 5 setting, given any mans weight we can determine the sag and give the 40mm to 45mm sag needed. To adjust the preload is as easy as a turn from the Alan wrench. So who gives 2 about that!! That's the fun, it takes all of 2 minutes to change all 4 of my tuners and another 2 minutes to give a turn or 2 to my preload. Um if you guys think 5 minutes worth of work is a lot then, !!!

After knowing everyone's weight the first few rides, we only have to worry about if they lost/gained weight since last ride. But again to get out the tape and be accurate is merely a few moments!!
That's kooky talk
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #71
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
My point exactly, there are a lot more variables than just suspension. A new supersport is not even track worthy unless you replace all the components with high quality aftermarket parts So don't even try it
so it, then. Skip tech and ride whatever you brought in off the street. There's no point in even trying to be safe? Come on, you can't REALLY believe the BS you're spewing.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #72
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:

so you think BMW is so magically awesome that they've installed superduperspecial magic springs in the front and rear of that S1000rr that they can be adjusted to suite any weight rider ever simply by adjusting the preload?

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #73
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
so it, then. Skip tech and ride whatever you brought in off the street. There's no point in even trying to be safe? Come on, you can't REALLY believe the BS you're spewing.
I said new supersport

You wouldn't happen to be in the business of selling bike parts or service, would you?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #74
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
so you think BMW is so magically awesome that they've installed superduperspecial magic springs in the front and rear of that S1000rr that they can be adjusted to suite any weight rider ever simply by adjusting the preload?
BMWs are not track worthy unless all components are replaced with high quality aftermarket parts, not even for the noobest noob in his first novice session
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #75
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
I said new supersport

You wouldn't happen to be in the business of selling bike parts or service, would you?
Nope. I'm a cop. duh.

Actually, I work in the oilfield. I'm just interested in people not crashing so they continue to buy gasoline.

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #76
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
BMWs are not track worthy unless all components are replaced with high quality aftermarket parts, not even for the noobest noob in his first novice session
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer
My personal experience: an '07 CBR600RR sprung from the factory to accommodate a 200lb rider. Even with the stock springs adjusted to the maximum by the end of my first day the bike was dangerous for me to ride. It would literally try and slam into the ground when I leaned it over at speed. $200 later for a respring to match my weight and the bike handles like it's on rails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
bike will do very unnerving things at NOVICE level track paces. My CBR introduced me to the concrete very early on for not following this simple advice that other riders gave me. The bike was flaky in turns (this never showed up in a single day of street riding btw) and I didn't get any confidence in myself or it - end result - smash on my second TD.

fascinating

CMRA #302
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #77
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
No, but enough for us to learn on you super genius track rider!! We're not competing people, just learning!!!!! Having fun at the track, not taking it super uber serious like you ! Not going to the wall, just learning!!! Holy Bejeebus why the don't I see you guys in TV? You guys are the uber elite, yet I dont see any of you seasoned riders on TV?? Geez, let me bank roll you guys so that you'll have me as a sponsor and can get out there and ride like the pro's, oh wait youve already been on the track for how long and no ones picked you up, no way I'm bank rolling you then. Seems they dont think you know as much as you think you do!!

All praise to the super uber non signed elite!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #78
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Nope. I'm a cop. duh.

Actually, I work in the oilfield. I'm just interested in people not crashing so they continue to buy gasoline.
You've never crashed?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #79
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
No, but enough for us to learn on you super genius track rider!! We're not competing people, just learning!!!!! Having fun at the track, not taking it super uber serious like you ! Not going to the wall, just learning!!! Holy Bejeebus why the don't I see you guys in TV? You guys are the uber elite, yet I dont see any of you seasoned riders on TV?? Geez, let me bank roll you guys so that you'll have me as a sponsor and can get out there and ride like the pro's, oh wait youve already been on the track for how long and no ones picked you up, no way I'm bank rolling you then. Seems they dont think you know as much as you think you do!!

All praise to the super uber non signed elite!!!
Warning: BMWs are totally unstable unless you modify the shiznit out of it
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #80
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I'm a track-rider, and I'm still figuring out why I should pay ANY money to share a bike with other riders that I could only lose investment on. What do I get out it that I couldn't if I spent another 900 bucks and buy my own dedicated trackbike?

If that's the case shouldn't I be PAID for my investment?

Why wouldn't you get these supposed sponsors to pay for the bike?
bump for an answer...

Advertisement